Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Sara schnenirer msw
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
Mauve

Post Tue, Nov 22 2022, 9:15 am
I just skimmed this thread so not sure if this was discussed. I’m looking for an online school to become a social worker. Starting out with just a high school diploma. Where is the best, fastest way to go about it. I’m in my upper 30s so don’t really want to spend many years in school before starting to work.

amother
Bronze

Post Tue, Nov 22 2022, 9:28 am
amother Crystal wrote:
They don't. My sister got her MSW thru Rutgers and told me it's not like that at all.

I think because in the secular world an MSW is not running to become an LCSW and open a private practice. If someone wants to do therapy the typical route would be PHD in psychology.

But in general, the schooling to become a therapist is not usually great, like I said with my friend experience in Hunter. To be a good therapist you do need to learn vulnerability and to be open and identify your "blindspots", just many programs expect you to learn that in internship and in supervision (which is probably why there are so many terrible therapists)

amother
Seagreen

Post Tue, Nov 22 2022, 9:35 am
amother Mauve wrote:
I just skimmed this thread so not sure if this was discussed. I’m looking for an online school to become a social worker. Starting out with just a high school diploma. Where is the best, fastest way to go about it. I’m in my upper 30s so don’t really want to spend many years in school before starting to work.

Do u want to be a therapist bec then you should understand you can’t rush training if u want to be a good one.

amother
Mauve

Post Tue, Nov 22 2022, 9:41 am
amother Seagreen wrote:
Do u want to be a therapist bec then you should understand you can’t rush training if u want to be a good one.

Yes. Of course I want to get a good training but can’t sit at it forever. I feel like I have tons of life experience so that will more than make up for any shortcuts

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 01 2022, 2:53 pm
Is there anyone who completed their msw through Ss or someone that’s currently in the program that I could be in touch with via email or dm?

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, Dec 01 2022, 5:13 pm
amother Mauve wrote:

You can look into Western New Mexico University.
I know pple who did it with BA or masters in a different field. They are prob the cheapest option.

amother
Orchid

Post Thu, Dec 01 2022, 5:51 pm
amother Mauve wrote:
Yes. Of course I want to get a good training but can’t sit at it forever. I feel like I have tons of life experience so that will more than make up for any shortcuts

Life experience is not going to swing it. Counseling is serious stuff and you need real training and internship.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 05 2022, 10:44 am
amother Lemonchiffon wrote:
I know that social work has a lot of hashkafah questions... I want a frum program, and I trust Sara Schenirer with that. I know there are other frum programs, but I understand that SS is best in the quality of training.

If they don't take me, I'll go someplace else; I am just curious if it's a standard to not be accepted by them or if it was just me...

I did not get accepted but they offered me to take a few classes and “see how it goes”. I’m also wondering if this is something they do. My options are a bit more limited because I am out of town.

amother
Celeste

Post Mon, Dec 05 2022, 12:18 pm
amother OP wrote:
I did not get accepted but they offered me to take a few classes and “see how it goes”. I’m also wondering if this is something they do. My options are a bit more limited because I am out of town.

You applied now for September and they already interviewed you?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 05 2022, 12:23 pm
No it was for this January…

amother
Celeste

Post Mon, Dec 05 2022, 2:32 pm
amother OP wrote:
No it was for this January…

They offered that you can take classes to see what? See if they like you? See if you do well? Never heard of such a thing.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 05 2022, 2:36 pm
It’s called a non matriculating student…

amother
Celeste

Post Mon, Dec 05 2022, 2:43 pm
amother OP wrote:
It’s called a non matriculating student…

But what is in it for you? That you can get credits to transfer somewhere else? Or would they possibly accept you if it goes well?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 05 2022, 2:50 pm
If it goes well they will accept me.
If not I guess it’s a big waste of my energy time and money. Although I haven’t fully finished seeing if that’s the case.

amother
Currant

Post Mon, Dec 05 2022, 9:01 pm
amother OP wrote:
If it goes well they will accept me.
If not I guess it’s a big waste of my energy time and money. Although I haven’t fully finished seeing if that’s the case.

Why didn’t they accept you?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 08 2022, 12:18 pm
I’m still trying to understand. I asked and I was told they were a bit worried about academics (I have my Ba with a lot of coopersmith credits). But when I asked more questions it was very wishy washy.
I’m trying to understand a few things and maybe someone in this thread would know:

Is this how they reject people or do they send out letters?
Has anyone ever had this where they weren’t accepted but was offered the option of taking a few classes?

In addition,
Is anyone on this thread a graduate or currently in the program and can I be in touch with them?

amother
Celeste

Post Thu, Dec 08 2022, 3:04 pm
amother OP wrote:
I’m still trying to understand. I asked and I was told they were a bit worried about academics (I have my Ba with a lot of coopersmith credits). But when I asked more questions it was very wishy washy.
I’m trying to understand a few things and maybe someone in this thread would know:

Has anyone ever had this where they weren’t accepted but was offered the option of taking a few classes?

In addition,
Is anyone on this thread a graduate or currently in the program and can I be in touch with them?

Don't know if you can at this point, but as someone looking into their program, I was thinking to ask them if they have any graduates I can speak to. Is that something you can do?

I don't know what type of financial outlay you are talking about to take a few classes but it does sound rather risky....

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Thu, Dec 08 2022, 6:18 pm
amother OP wrote:

In addition,

I had a similar experience with the questioning, but I wasn't given a choice of starting some classes. They said I can reapply next year. I asked them what my chances are of being accepted next year, I wanted to know if there is any point in putting hope on them, or if I should apply somewhere else. They called me back then, that they accept me for next year.

true me

Post Thu, Dec 08 2022, 6:20 pm
OP, can you PM me? I want to ask you something.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 08 2022, 6:26 pm
I just did
Page 5 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics