Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Cheapest produce in Brooklyn

hummingbird1

Post Tue, Dec 06 2022, 9:44 am
We go through a ton of veggies each week and its a fortune.
Any suggestions for cheap but fresh produce around Brooklyn? I'm in bp but its worth it for me to a take a trip and stock up.

amother
Raspberry

Post Tue, Dec 06 2022, 9:44 am
Aldi

motheroftoo

Post Tue, Dec 06 2022, 9:49 am
Circus

amother
Honeydew

Post Tue, Dec 06 2022, 9:50 am
If you've never used FreshDirect, you can do one order from them -
They always have promo codes of $50 off $99+ on your first order. They're not cheap in general, but with this discount you can save a lot. It's a one-time thing though.

hummingbird1

Post Tue, Dec 06 2022, 9:53 am
will look into all the options mentioned.

thank you all!

erm

Post Tue, Dec 06 2022, 11:48 am
Three guys from Brooklyn

amother
Mintgreen

Post Tue, Dec 06 2022, 12:26 pm
Aldi

I order with them through instacart and with markup and fees, it's still cheaper than the local grocer. I assume in store is much cheaper.

It's a mixed bag of quality. I've been happy with their grapes, carrots, sweet potatoes, cucumbers, tomatoes. Not happy with their potatoes. In store, you can judge it better.

vintagebknyc

Post Tue, Dec 06 2022, 12:33 pm
Rossmans, they’re a wholesale grocery open 364 days a year, 24 hours a day. 3rd Avenue and 26th street

Amarante

Post Tue, Dec 06 2022, 12:42 pm
The problem with cheap produce is that sometimes it isn't that good and it winds up being thrown out at my house.

Some produce - especially veggies that aren't the highest quality don't matter that much because you can make them taste good for the most part - tomatoes of course you need high quality or they are tasteless styrofoam essentially. LOL

But fruit really needs to be good quality. I find that Costco has the best quality fruit for the money - so it represents that best "value'.

Last edited by Amarante on Tue, Dec 06 2022, 1:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Darkblue

Post Tue, Dec 06 2022, 12:51 pm
Costco's produce is great, but it's expensive.
We shop at Lidl. They have really cheap prices, and really good produce.

Amarante

Post Tue, Dec 06 2022, 12:55 pm
amother Darkblue wrote:

But that was my point.

No one will eat mediocre fruit in my house so it is much more expensive than buying better quality fruit as I will wind up throwing away the poor quality fruit.

Costco is the best "value" because the quality is very high for the most part and it is less expensive than high quality fruit at other places.

For some produce, it really doesn't matter as I wrote. Vegetables for the most part I will cook and so they didn't have to be super quality. A parsnip is a parsnip.

Nothing is "cheap" if it isn't used or falls apart - that represents poor value.

amother
Darkblue

Post Tue, Dec 06 2022, 1:03 pm
Amarante wrote:
But that was my point.

No one will eat mediocre fruit in my house so it is much more expensive than buying better quality fruit as I will wind up throwing away the poor quality fruit.

Costco is the best "value" because the quality is very high for the most part and it is less expensive than high quality fruit at other places.

For some produce, it really doesn't matter as I wrote. Vegetables for the most part I will cook and so they didn't have to be super quality. A parsnip is a parsnip.

Nothing is "cheap" if it isn't used or falls apart - that represents poor value.

LOL LOL

amother
Beige

Post Tue, Dec 06 2022, 1:09 pm
amother Darkblue wrote:

I dont believe there is a Lidl in Brooklyn. Aldis has some cheaper produce like the spinach and portabella mushrooms but I dont think everything they have is cheaper, its a hit or miss. Keyfood is cheaper for some things like onions and garlic. And the Asian stores are cheap as well and worth checking out. Op, not sure which neighborhood you live in but if you have Asian stores near you then check them out to see if the prices are better than the other stores in the neighborhood otherwise I would shop in different stores to get the best prices for each specific item I am buying.

Amarante

Post Tue, Dec 06 2022, 1:17 pm
amother Beige wrote:
I dont believe there is a Lidl in Brooklyn. Aldis has some cheaper produce like the spinach and portabella mushrooms but I dont think everything they have is cheaper, its a hit or miss. Keyfood is cheaper for some things like onions and garlic. And the Asian stores are cheap as well and worth checking out. Op, not sure which neighborhood you live in but if you have Asian stores near you then check them out to see if the prices are better than the other stores in the neighborhood otherwise I would shop in different stores to get the best prices for each specific item I am buying.

Not in Brooklyn but in the Southern California area, there is a chain of Asian supermarkets called 99 Ranch and the prices for their produce are very low and quality tends to be really good.

It is a bit out of the way for me but I make a point of going there when it is lichee season because they have lichees for $2.00 per pound versus $10.00 at the grocery store. Also great prices on any kind of Asian veggies like baby bok choy, lemongrass; galangal, shiitake mushrooms etc.

Mine sells live fish and has fish swimming in the tanks.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries