Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
SAHM v. Working Moms - Children’s Outcomes
Previous  1  2

Do you see a difference in children who’s mothers are home full time (raising their children themselves and not by a babysitter) versus children whose mothers worked full time and had childcare? Explain in comments
Yes  
 39%  [ 29 ]
No  
 60%  [ 44 ]
Total Votes : 73

amother
Whitesmoke

Post Tue, Dec 06 2022, 10:21 am
Then you have the additional WAHM conversation.
I was lucky enough to work from home for many years. I was able to keep my babies home until around 14 months or so and needed more stimulation and supervision than I was able to provide while working.
I was able to nurse on demand (while working), physically wear my infants (while working) and all the benefits of not having to send an infant out.
Vacation days and sick days were less challenging because I was able to physically be home.
But my hours were not flexible. 9-4. I had to work even while my kids were off for midwinter.
My house didn't stay clean because no one was home like my friends who worked out of the house.
Were my kids better or worse?
Who knows.
I was able to buy food, clothing and rent even if my husband can't bring in a high enough salary to cover everything.

amother
Heather

Post Tue, Dec 06 2022, 12:17 pm
My mil was a sahm. Terrible mother. I guess if she was working it could have been worse. Atleast this way the house ran very smoothly with meals and physical needs well taken care of. Then again maybe if she worked a little (nowhere near full time) she would have been more fulfilled and a happier/calmer mother? Who knows?

amother
Melon

Post Tue, Dec 06 2022, 12:44 pm
Are you gathering info for research or an article?

Are you the same op who is starting all these threads on the same subject?

motherqueen

Post Tue, Dec 06 2022, 12:46 pm
I actually work and take my dd along
works for me doesnt work for everyone when dd will be 18mnths then I will send her out as of now she is 7 months and its a perfect solution for me I get to leave the house and still be with her the whole day.

amother
Dimgray

Post Tue, Dec 06 2022, 12:56 pm
amother Heather wrote:
My mil was a sahm. Terrible mother. I guess if she was working it could have been worse. Atleast this way the house ran very smoothly with meals and physical needs well taken care of. Then again maybe if she worked a little (nowhere near full time) she would have been more fulfilled and a happier/calmer mother? Who knows?

My mother was a SAHM even though she was not particularly maternal, and she hated household chores. It would have been much better for us if she had worked out of the house and hired household help - quite possibly it would have nurtured her intellectually and fulfilled her.

Instead, she delegated much of the housekeeping to her daughters when they were quite young, and even the childcare (we were pulled out of school to babysit, etc...) When we came home from school, she was often out, or she was in her room with the door shut "resting" and we were not allowed to disturb.

I'm proudly and unashamedly a working mom, home when my kids come home, no parentified kids.

amother
Tanzanite

Post Tue, Dec 06 2022, 2:18 pm
I always worked full time.
I work full time to help with the finances. But I also feel I'm a better mother when around my kids when I am not with them all day.

When my older 2 (boys) were little they were by an amazing frum grandmother (not their grandmother) of a babysitter. They were very intelligent and inquisitive kids. They are now older teens and doing great in life. They are solid in their hashkofos and learning. By the time my 3rd was born I switched my work schedule. We had a morning babysitter and I went to work early, but I was home by the time the kids came home from school. My younger ones were still in some sort of childcare during the day (either in daycare or with babysitters).

Since covid I have been working from home. I no longer have babies and all my kids are in school full time. I still work full time, but I try to start my day early (between 7 am and 8 am) so I can finish earlier.

My kids know they are my world and I will drop everything for them if they need me. They are well adjusted kids. Bright and inquisitive. Creative. Not wild. I have a mix of boys and girls. Some are more introverted and some more extroverted.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 06 2022, 2:35 pm
amother Melon wrote:
Are you gathering info for research or an article?

Are you the same op who is starting all these threads on the same subject?

I am not doing either of those. The other threads did make me wonder about the answer to this question.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics