Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Chanukah
Chanukah menu for vegetarians and dairy free?

Elfrida

Post Tue, Dec 06 2022, 8:32 am
My chanukah party guests include vegetarians, and lactose (and sugar) free people.

So far the menu consists of vegetable soup, lakes and salad, and I'm thinking of including salmon, though the vegetarians would really rather not eat fish. Does anyone have any bright ideas about what else I could serve for a parev main dish?

We'll have fruit salad for dessert, and people will probably bring doughnuts, so I'm not worrying about that. Just a main (protein based) dish.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Dec 06 2022, 8:39 am
How about a falafel station where guests can make their own falafel with set out components?

Elfrida

Post Tue, Dec 06 2022, 8:40 am
That's an interesting idea. I'm not sure about falafel and latkes in the same meal, though.

scruffy

Post Tue, Dec 06 2022, 8:41 am
Maybe pareve chili or a frittata?

tichellady

Post Tue, Dec 06 2022, 8:55 am
I would do fish and https://food52.com/recipes/641.....ZAUss
can put feta on the side
or mujudarah or a quinoa veggie pilaf

or a burrito bar with beans or fake meat, rice, salsa, guacamole, cheddar cheese, pickled red onions, hot sauce etc and everyone makes their own bowl

WitchKitty

Post Tue, Dec 06 2022, 8:59 am
People who don't eat lactose can still eat some dairy, depending on sensitivity. Fat-full things have a very low amount of lactose and are usually okay (in moderation)- butter, sour cream, gevina tzehuba. There are also lactose-free or dairy free products. Not a lot, but lactose free milk is easy enough to get.
So if your guests can tolerate דל לקטוז (as opposed to ללא לקטוז) you can make, say, eggplant parmesan, or bagels with (homemade) cream cheese, without a problem. There are also soy substitutes, tnuva makes a bunch. Very expensive though.

Tirza

Post Tue, Dec 06 2022, 5:39 pm
You can have a tofu stir fry. I add eggplant to mine and it comes out really filling. Offer a choice of both brown and white rice to go with it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics