Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Camp Tizmoret Shoshana

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 06 2022, 2:23 am
I just saw an ad for this camp, and my 11 year old daughter really wants me to look into it for her. Does anyone have current info about the girls who attend/will be attending this camp? My daughter goes to an out of town Bais Yaakov, and is only in 5th grade. I am concerned about exposure to negative influences, especially since she is so young, and it seems it is not divided by age so she would be with much older girls. Does anyone know girls who went, and what school/s they go to? Any and all current info about this camp would be really appreciated!

Thanks so much!!

amother
Lightgray

Post Sun, Feb 06 2022, 6:58 am
From what I understand it’s mostly a MO camp
not a BY camp.

amother
Red

Post Sun, Feb 06 2022, 8:07 am
I was considering it for my daughter but they require everyone to be vaccinated for COVID. if that's a deal breaker for you...

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 07 2022, 1:19 pm
thank you both for your replies! so the vaccination thing probably won't be an issue, but as far as the MO/BY thing, can anyone else comment on that? because if it's a mix of wholesome girls from a range of communities that could be fine, but if for example she is the only girl who doesn't have a TV at home, or whose parents don't do Netflix, etc, that would be harder. She is already in an out of town BY where some of her friends have more access to these things and she already wants more of that stuff.. so if she's at a camp where everyone talks about their favorite shows and movies and youtube channels or whatever, or even have crushes on boys that they talk about, (or actual boyfriends) then I would probably not want to put her in that environment as she is very impressionable.

I guess a separate but related question I have is about the staff. Who are the counselors? What schools/communites do they come from?

Thanks for your help!

amother
Red

Post Mon, Feb 07 2022, 1:48 pm
so my daughter would have been fine for you if she had gone but we didn't pursue it because of the covid vaccine issue so can't tell you what the other kids are like. I would suggest you reach out to the camp and ask them. In the end I'm sending to Maayan midwest and I asked the camp those type of questions and they said to write that down on the application since it's a mix.

SomeoneNew

Post Tue, Mar 15 2022, 8:36 pm
Just seeing this now, but here is what I can tell you as the new director of Tizmoret Shoshana (and also a camp parent since 2018).

Many things will be different this year. We are at a new location and will have bunks divided by age. While it is true that girls are together for their major and minor arts activities (drama, dance, writing, vocal, instrumental, art), they will be separated for shiur, bunk activities, etc.

The majority of our girls come from BY-type schools in their communities. Yes, we have some MO campers, and we have also had chassidishe campers in the past. Some girls have more exposure to secular influences than others.

Your daughter would be in good company - many of our campers come from out of town communities and do not have tv, netflix, etc. Yes, I'm sure some do, but I doubt that it's a majority. For what it's worth, my daughters attend BY schools where we live. We do not have tv, netflix, etc, and don't listen to secular music. They read (parentally approved) secular books but that's about it. Both of them would tell you that if someone starts talking about music they don't know anything about (or even Disney movies, because that's also not something we do!), they can easily find another group of people to talk to. I cannot promise that your daughter won't hear anything that you don't want her to hear, but I honestly believe that's true of any camp (or school!) these days.

Our dress code is based on BY standards and we expect all campers to adhere to that during camp, as well as staff. The vast majority of our counselors are former campers - our head counselor this year grew up in Lakewood and now lives in Cherry Hill, NJ. Several of our counselors are currently in BY seminaries in Israel.

I'm happy to speak with anyone who has questions about Tizmoret & what the camp will look like going forward. Please DM with any questions or you can find my contact info on the camp website.

Jane

SomeoneNew

Post Tue, Mar 15 2022, 8:37 pm
amother [ Lightgray ] wrote:
From what I understand it’s mostly a MO camp
not a BY camp.

I'm not sure where you got that impression, but that is not the case. Yes, we have some MO campers, but many of our girls come from BY schools.

amother
Ghostwhite

Post Tue, Mar 15 2022, 8:46 pm
It’s definitely not typical BY people at all, but I don’t think it’s MO. But it seems it’s geared towards less typical kinds of girls in general

amother
Lightgray

Post Tue, Mar 15 2022, 8:47 pm
SomeoneNew wrote:
I'm not sure where you got that impression, but that is not the case. Yes, we have some MO campers, but many of our girls come from BY schools.

All the people I know that have gone

amother
Red

Post Tue, Mar 15 2022, 8:57 pm
SomeoneNew wrote:
Just seeing this now, but here is what I can tell you as the new director of Tizmoret Shoshana (and also a camp parent since 2018).

do you know if covid vaccination is expected to be mandatory going forward. this year my daughter is already going somewhere else but I thought your camp would be a great experience for her but wasn't willing to get her vaccinated for it.

amother
Seagreen

Post Tue, Mar 15 2022, 11:10 pm
amother [ Red ] wrote:
I was considering it for my daughter but they require everyone to be vaccinated for COVID. if that's a deal breaker for you...

Is vaccination really required this summer? That would be a deal breaker for us. Sad

SomeoneNew

Post Tue, Mar 15 2022, 11:30 pm
amother [ Lightgray ] wrote:
All the people I know that have gone

I think some of that depends on when they were there. Tizmoret has definitely changed over the years.

SomeoneNew

Post Tue, Mar 15 2022, 11:32 pm
amother [ Ghostwhite ] wrote:
It’s definitely not typical BY people at all, but I don’t think it’s MO. But it seems it’s geared towards less typical kinds of girls in general

We've had our share of typical BY people and will again this year. I would agree re. geared toward less typical because it's an intensive arts camp offering specialized programming that isn't typical in most camps or schools!

By the way, for anyone reading - just to be clear, I really hope my posts aren't coming across as defensive. Tizmoret is definitely unique, but I can tell you that a typical BY girl would be comfortable there, as would MO or chassidishe girls provided that families are ok sending to a "mixed" environment. Some are, some aren't. I understand that.

SomeoneNew

Post Tue, Mar 15 2022, 11:35 pm
amother [ Red ] wrote:
do you know if covid vaccination is expected to be mandatory going forward. this year my daughter is already going somewhere else but I thought your camp would be a great experience for her but wasn't willing to get her vaccinated for it.

I sincerely hope that it won't be necessary going forward. The requirement is coming from the facility we are renting for this summer. It's been such a challenge because while I find most parents are fine with the "typical vaccines", the covid one has been a whole different issue. My best guess at this point is that it will depend on what is happening with covid and what the facility's policies are, assuming that we return to the same location.

SomeoneNew

Post Tue, Mar 15 2022, 11:38 pm
amother [ Seagreen ] wrote:
Is vaccination really required this summer? That would be a deal breaker for us. Sad

It's a requirement from the facility we are renting for this summer and so far nothing has changed. The only option would be to have a valid exemption and I need to limit those so as not to have issues with the facility.

And for anyone reading this who is wondering, I am neither anti- nor pro- the covid vaccine. I know it's a tricky issue for many, and it's been a guessing game as to what covid will do next. I am truly sorry that those of you whose children aren't vaccinated won't be able to attend Tizmoret this year & I hope to be able to welcome you another year. G-d willing, covid will not be such an issue by summer 2023 or, better yet, Mashiach will be here already!!

imasinger

Post Tue, Mar 15 2022, 11:42 pm
I've posted about our happiness withTizmoret before, we love it. Many BY girls from our OOT community (including my DD) went and felt very comfortable there.

amother
Red

Post Wed, Dec 07 2022, 3:09 pm
looking for updated info- does anyone know if covid vaccine is required for this year?

SomeoneNew

Post Wed, Dec 07 2022, 4:19 pm
Covid vaccination will not be a requirement for Tizmoret in 2023.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children