Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Is it normal to keep milk on the door of the fridge
Previous  1  2

is it normal
yes  
 84%  [ 190 ]
no  
 15%  [ 36 ]
Total Votes : 226

happytobemom

Post Mon, Dec 05 2022, 7:23 pm
happy chick wrote:
Not to veer off topic, but can't anyone think of any other was to package milk? The first time I visited Israel, I nearly fell off my chair when I saw that. Liquids should not be packaged in bags Rolling Eyes

Don't they have those special plastic containers to put them in? I remember them from seminary! They used to bring out a huge bin full of bags of milk, there were a bunch of those plastic pitchers, and a couple of scissors to open them with!!

essie14

Post Mon, Dec 05 2022, 7:41 pm
I live in Israel. I only buy milk in cardboard containers. We go through a lot of milk but I buy the smaller containers so it stays fresher.
And fits better on the door of the fridge.

Girl@Heart

Post Mon, Dec 05 2022, 8:25 pm
According to House, no 😆

Elfrida

Post Mon, Dec 05 2022, 9:33 pm
happy chick wrote:
Not to veer off topic, but can't anyone think of any other was to package milk? The first time I visited Israel, I nearly fell off my chair when I saw that. Liquids should not be packaged in bags Rolling Eyes

The amount of bottles and boxes of milk in the makolet clearly indicates that Tnuva is aware of other ways of packaging milk. And the fact that despite the other options, milk is still available in plastic bags indicates that Israelis are quite happy to continue buying it that way, as a convenient, ecological and space saving option.

Iymnok

Post Mon, Dec 05 2022, 10:15 pm
I keep the milk in the back, but the open one is on the door. It’s used up in a day or two.
The milk in bags I keep in one of the vegetable drawers. I could probably fit 20 bags there. (1liter each). If I tried cartons, it would be 12, bottles, less. My milk jug has a blade in it to slice open the bags. My parents never buy bags since it takes them so much longer to finish a liter. Families that go through it quickly may find the bags more convenient.

chayarg

Post Mon, Dec 05 2022, 10:18 pm
ceebea wrote:
Ill give more context later. I want to hear responses first.

An interesting question that you're milking answers from us.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Tue, Dec 06 2022, 4:32 am
happy chick wrote:

Milk used to be in glass bottles until the six day war until Tnuva started with plastic bags. The bags are doing fine, there's nothing wrong with them Smile
I have a few jugs and close with plastic clip. Takes much less space in the garbage. I have no need to spend more money because of the package.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Tue, Dec 06 2022, 4:34 am
happy chick wrote:

In the early 90's sweet cream and chocolate milk came in bags too Smile

Elfrida

Post Tue, Dec 06 2022, 5:00 am
You can still get choco in plastic bags, though now it comes in bottles as well.

Cream is normally in cartons or bottles now, but around Shavuot there are often bags. That can be awkward, because if you don't use it all at once, you have to find some container the right size to support the bag.

I've seen gvinah lavanah in bags around Shavuot time as well. They are much easier to fit into the fridge than solid containers, and produce much less plastic waste.

4g01o

Post Tue, Dec 06 2022, 5:39 am
hodeez wrote:
Milk goes so fast here doesn't matter where I put it

Same, we've always kept it in the door though.
That's where it fits best. It's made for bottles. Grape juice etc!

Truth is in the summer my older kids often say that the milk tastes sour so they pour it down the sink and buy new milk, so I should probably start keeping it elsewhere in the warmer weather. And buy smaller bottles at a time, even though it works out more expensive.

Now it's freezing, it's staying in the door Smile

perquacky

Post Tue, Dec 06 2022, 11:02 am
Gallon containers don't fit in our fridge door. So the milk goes on the top shelf. Along with all the other drinks.

ShishKabob

Post Tue, Dec 06 2022, 11:19 am
It's normal, but I think milk holds fresher on the top shelf.

Ima03

Post Tue, Dec 06 2022, 12:16 pm
I don't know if it's normal or not, but it's the only place in my fridge that it fits upright.

zaq

Post Wed, Dec 07 2022, 1:36 pm
Why this imamother obsession with "is it normal?" You're not looking into shidduchim, you're talking about where people store a perishable dairy product. I should think this is nobody's goldarn business but their own. Frankly, I couldn't care less if you store your milk in your linen closet, so long as you don't try to serve it to me later.

doodlesmom

Post Wed, Dec 07 2022, 1:45 pm
zaq wrote:
Why this imamother obsession with "is it normal?" You're not looking into shidduchim, you're talking about where people store a perishable dairy product. I should think this is nobody's goldarn business but their own. Frankly, I couldn't care less if you store your milk in your linen closet, so long as you don't try to serve it to me later.

Assuming it’s between spouses.

snailmail

Post Mon, Dec 12 2022, 3:27 pm
I actually visited relatives in Europe once where they had a special milk door in the fridge door - you can open it from the outside just to put in & take out the milk (or other things?) from the door of the fridge!

ceebea

Post Mon, Dec 26 2022, 8:48 am
Im sorry for taking so long to get back to this everyone. Here is the context of the full story. It seams like our fridge is having some circulation problems. Everything is ok unless we leave dairy on the door. I told my husband lets stop putting the milk on the door and put it on the shelves but he insists that the milk is suposed to go on the door so it doesnt take up space for food. Now only keep the milk on the door in our other fridge. I was thinking why does it make sence to keep the milk in the spot of the fridge thats not even the coldest and why is that normal.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Mon, Dec 26 2022, 8:52 am
ceebea wrote:
Im sorry for taking so long to get back to this everyone. Here is the context of the full story. It seams like our fridge is having some circulation problems. Everything is ok unless we leave dairy on the door. I told my husband lets stop putting the milk on the door and put it on the shelves but he insists that the milk is suposed to go on the door so it doesnt take up space for food. Now only keep the milk on the door in our other fridge. I was thinking why does it make sence to keep the milk in the spot of the fridge thats not even the coldest and why is that normal.

Each to this own
I put on shelf. Big bulky gallons fit in the door which isn't the optimal place.

Roseflower

Post Mon, Dec 26 2022, 9:04 am
In the summer we're more makpid on keeping the milk on the shelf.

ceebea

Post Mon, Dec 26 2022, 10:29 am
doodlesmom wrote:
Assuming it’s between spouses.

You are so right!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics