Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
My crazy neighbor

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 07 2022, 1:08 pm
I live in a big building in NYC. I have a crazy neighbor who does dangerous and damaging (to the building property) things on a daily basis.
She was dragged to court numerous times by the landlord, only to get off with a warning. “Disabled” people don’t get evicted. They are the landlord’s problem forever.
I’ll say that again, disabled people are their landlord’s problem forever in NYC. Funny how she’s called disabled yet “able” to do so much trouble and damage.
We are all suffering from her, the landlord is at his wits end, yet because it’s NYC, everyone is suffering while the villain gets to be the victim.

Thank you for listening to my vent.

ddmom

Post Wed, Dec 07 2022, 1:10 pm
Sounds horrible.
At least you can possibly move. Sounds like landlord is stuck with her forever! Sad

amother
Eggplant

Post Wed, Dec 07 2022, 1:11 pm
Yeah, it's crazy. We had such a neighbor in the building. He was "disabled" but caused so much trouble and terrified the neighbors. He'd pee and poop all over the place and sleep on the stairs.
The entire building rejoiced when he finally died. (He sold drugs from his apartment and was shot dead during a fight.) Crazy NYC laws.

amother
DarkOrange

Post Wed, Dec 07 2022, 1:33 pm
I hate to nitpick but the idea of rejoicing when anyones dies is not really a Jewish one. OP, I feel for you !

amother
Jetblack

Post Wed, Dec 07 2022, 2:19 pm
amother OP wrote:
I live in a big building in NYC. I have a crazy neighbor who does dangerous and damaging (to the building property) things on a daily basis.
She was dragged to court numerous times by the landlord, only to get off with a warning. “Disabled” people don’t get evicted. They are the landlord’s problem forever.
I’ll say that again, disabled people are their landlord’s problem forever in NYC. Funny how she’s called disabled yet “able” to do so much trouble and damage.
We are all suffering from her, the landlord is at his wits end, yet because it’s NYC, everyone is suffering while the villain gets to be the victim.

Same thing with criminals in NY getting let go with no bail
The victim suffers the criminal walks

amother
Electricblue

Post Wed, Dec 07 2022, 2:24 pm
I know it might not be the "nice" answer but what if you guys torture her back? Make this tenant a little miserable herself.

And the NYC rent laws should be illegal. They're disgusting.

amother
DarkRed

Post Wed, Dec 07 2022, 4:09 pm
It must be difficult.Has anyone tried befriending her?

gamanit

Post Wed, Dec 07 2022, 4:20 pm
Try to get adult protective services involved. Not sure how much they can help but it's worth a shot.

amother
Ginger

Post Wed, Dec 07 2022, 4:28 pm
Welcome to liberal ny.

amother
Poppy

Post Wed, Dec 07 2022, 5:54 pm
amother OP wrote:

Sorry to hear about your struggles. My guess is that her apartment is rent stabilized so the only way for the homeowner to evict her for owner use occupancy would be to offer her something similar nearby. But if he already evicted someone else for owner use occupancy then he is out of luck because landlords can only get 1 apartment for owner use.

Can he speak to a lawyer to see if she can be evicted because she is a nuisance and disturbing the peace of the building (he would need cameras in the common areas to record it for proof)? Or he can see if he can get someone to become her guardian to ensure her nuisance behavior stops. The landlord should def discuss with an experienced attorney to see what he can do to either evict or stop her behavior.

amother
Charcoal

Post Wed, Dec 07 2022, 6:03 pm
Isn't Adam's passing a law now that you can hospitalized people with mental illness against their will to clean up the streets from homeless? Maybe your landlord will benefit from this rule?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries