Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains
Weekly Budget for family of 3

Do you budget on a weekly / monthly basis?
Yes  
 22%  [ 17 ]
No  
 58%  [ 44 ]
Occasionally  
 18%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 75

minny1092

Post Wed, Dec 07 2022, 9:51 pm
I'm doing some research for myself.
I'm trying to gage what is a normal amount of money to be spending per week on food & dry goods for a family of 3 (shabbos included). (Child is 1 years old)

jd1212

Post Wed, Dec 07 2022, 11:09 pm
We spend about $250/wk. We host a decent amount and only buy chicken cutlets week-long/shabbos because it’s healthier. Not much checked/pre-cut things, but a lot of greek yogurt, cottage, some salmon.

minny1092

Post Wed, Dec 07 2022, 11:15 pm
jd1212 wrote:
We spend about $250/wk. We host a decent amount and only buy chicken cutlets week-long/shabbos because it’s healthier. Not much checked/pre-cut things, but a lot of greek yogurt, cottage, some salmon.

Thank you for sharing
We will only buy cutlets when they are on sale and we stock up. If you wouldn't host would you still spend that much?

jd1212

Post Wed, Dec 07 2022, 11:28 pm
minny1092 wrote:
Thank you for sharing
We will only buy cutlets when they are on sale and we stock up. If you wouldn't host would you still spend that much?

We would save 5-8 lb of chicken/mo. if we didn’t host (I usually host 6 other guests for lunch and buy 1/2 lb pp). I generally pay $7.99/lb from my local small kosher grocery for the cutlets but started getting from Costco for $5.49/lb.

I think we buy about 20-25 lb/month of chicken cutlets. I also get 1 bag or so of 4 oz frozen pieces of salmon from Costco/month- I think it’s 3 lb for $35 ish.

stardream

Post Wed, Dec 07 2022, 11:30 pm
I find this site to be helpful. https://spendsmart.extension.I.....pend/ It's based on the USDA's low cost food plan so kosher/yom tov/hosting higher expenses are not included. It's a good first step and if you're budgeting you can adjust this as a basis and adjust as you go along.

minny1092

Post Wed, Dec 07 2022, 11:41 pm
stardream wrote:
I find this site to be helpful. https://spendsmart.extension.I.....pend/ It's based on the USDA's low cost food plan so kosher/yom tov/hosting higher expenses are not included. It's a good first step and if you're budgeting you can adjust this as a basis and adjust as you go along.

Thanks it is helpful, however we already have our budget figured out, but I'm going over and my spouse thinks it's too much, so I wanted to see if what I'm spending actually does make sense.

stardream

Post Wed, Dec 07 2022, 11:58 pm
minny1092 wrote:
Thanks it is helpful, however we already have our budget figured out, but I'm going over and my spouse thinks it's too much, so I wanted to see if what I'm spending actually does make sense.

Are you a lot higher than the result this calculator gives you? If yes, you can probably cut back. It's likely not realistic to be lower than the number they give you.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains