Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Kriah vs Yiddish Reading

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 08 2022, 8:55 am
DS is struggling with Kriah but pretty okay with Yiddish reading. (He didn't start English reading yet.) We've poured in so much time, energy and money already to help him, but feel there's a missing piece of the puzzle here. He can read Yiddish, with or without nekudos and only gets stuck on long words. He understands what he learns, and when he gets the words right in chumash (or someone reads the words) he knows the translation. Any ideas what we might be missing?

amother
Brunette

Post Thu, Dec 08 2022, 9:08 am
amother OP wrote:
DS is struggling with Kriah but pretty okay with Yiddish reading. (He didn't start English reading yet.) We've poured in so much time, energy and money already to help him, but feel there's a missing piece of the puzzle here. He can read Yiddish, with or without nekudos and only gets stuck on long words. He understands what he learns, and when he gets the words right in chumash (or someone reads the words) he knows the translation. Any ideas what we might be missing?
Yiddish reading has the advantage that there is comprehension and context to help things along. As well as the similarity to English reading where vowels are letters instead of dots above or below the word and eyes only have to go back and forth, not up and down.

I’ll bet he’s not such a strong decoder and relying a lot on context. Getting stuck on long words backs this up. He might also be having eye issues with convergence and tracking and such, making it difficult to do the up and down and side to side scanning simultaneously.

Phonemic awareness is also a big piece for kids that aren’t strong decoders so I would work on that.

How is his English reading?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 08 2022, 9:57 am
Thanks for your response!

I've taken him to check his eyes to 2 highly recommended eye doctors. The first said everything is fine, the second specializes in prism glasses and prescribed that. The glasses did make a difference, but not significant enough to bring him up to par. Maybe I still need to give it more time.

I'll look into working on phonemic awareness. He just started learning the ABCs and isn't reading English yet.

amother
DarkOrange

Post Thu, Dec 08 2022, 10:24 am
How old is he?

There are different ways to learn how to read.
Which method was he taught?

Kametz aleph ooh
Or אָ= ooh

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 08 2022, 11:41 am
He's old enough to have had kriah tutors a few years already.

If I remember correctly, he learned one method in kindergarten, traditional method in kitah alef. After that, he had different tutors; I don't know what their methods were. You're reminding me that at one point, he was doing well as long as he was getting the help, but then fell behind when it stopped.

He knows the rules of kriah inside out; he got so much help with that. That's not his problem.

amother
Lemon

Post Thu, Dec 08 2022, 12:02 pm
When my son was in kitta aleph, last yr.
His h.w. was to read 2 pages in a malki and yoss3le book. Or a page of kriah.
My son always chose the book. His rebba said that its the same practice. So I do think theyre the same..

amother
Brass

Post Thu, Dec 08 2022, 12:05 pm
amother Lemon wrote:
When my son was in kitta aleph, last yr.
His h.w. was to read 2 pages in a malki and yoss3le book. Or a page of kriah.
My son always chose the book. His rebba said that its the same practice. So I do think theyre the same..

I don't think they're the same. It it easier to read something that we understand. The reading goes more fluent because what we're reading makes sense to us.

amother
DarkOrange

Post Thu, Dec 08 2022, 2:38 pm
Have you tried having him read 2 pages of tehillim every day?

I give my son a izzy dizzy card after every kapitel, and a small prize after every 10 kapitlech.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 08 2022, 2:55 pm
amother DarkOrange wrote:
Have you tried having him read 2 pages of tehillim every day?

I give my son a izzy dizzy card after every kapitel, and a small prize after every 10 kapitlech.

He did this 2 years ago. He comes home close to 6 and does chumash & mishnayos a few times a week.

amother
DarkOrange

Post Thu, Dec 08 2022, 3:36 pm
amother OP wrote:
He did this 2 years ago. He comes home close to 6 and does chumash & mishnayos a few times a week.

I have found Rabbi Kiwak’s program to work really well.

Maybe find a tutor that does his method.

His method is אַ/רוֹ/מְ/מֶי/ךָ

amother
Taupe

Post Thu, Dec 08 2022, 3:48 pm
amother DarkOrange wrote:
I have found Rabbi Kiwak’s program to work really well.

Maybe find a tutor that does his method.

His method is אַ/רוֹ/מְ/מֶי/ךָ
I agree. I was trained in rabbi kiwak’s method and I think it would be perfect for op’s son. And once the parent is shown the method it’s pretty easy to continue to practice at home.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics