Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Parsha Book for young children

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 06 2022, 11:24 pm
I'm looking for a book on the parsha on a very simple level.
I took a look at My First Parsha Reader, it says good for "beginning readers". I'm not looking for a child to actually read it, but for me to read it to my child.
Does anyone have that book and have an opinion on it?
Or any other suggestions?

amother
Gladiolus

Post Wed, Dec 07 2022, 9:58 am
The best for the really young is the 613 Torah Avenue. They have a CD with the book and my kids love them. I found the parsha reader a little hard for them with too many words and parts of a story to focus on.

amother
Brown

Post Wed, Dec 07 2022, 11:03 am
My kids loved the "Tell me the story of the parsha" series. They also have yom tov sets.

amother
Eggplant

Post Wed, Dec 07 2022, 11:49 am
amother Brown wrote:
My kids loved the "Tell me the story of the parsha" series. They also have yom tov sets.

We love this too, but it generally picks one or two stories per parsha and skips the rest

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 07 2022, 2:01 pm
amother Eggplant wrote:
We love this too, but it generally picks one or two stories per parsha and skips the rest

I noticed that too, and didn't like the way some of the stories were written

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 07 2022, 5:51 pm
Any other suggestions?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 07 2022, 10:49 pm
bump...

amother
Apricot

Post Thu, Dec 08 2022, 12:07 am
My kids also used to love the 613 Torah Avenue book/CD (we have the one on Bereishis).

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 08 2022, 12:26 am
amother Apricot wrote:
My kids also used to love the 613 Torah Avenue book/CD (we have the one on Bereishis).

Isn't this just the songs written out in the book with pictures?

amother
Lilac

Post Thu, Dec 08 2022, 3:20 am
I actually liked My First Parsha Reader. I thought it did a pretty good job of telling the stories in a clear and simplified way. The pictures are not as engaging as some of the other books, but I thought they were fine.

amother
Brown

Post Thu, Dec 08 2022, 11:10 am
Quote:

I noticed that too, and didn't like the way some of the stories were written

It's because it was written originally in Hebrew. The ones here are a translation.

groovy1224

Post Thu, Dec 08 2022, 11:18 am
We really love our set of the the weekly parashah. It's not for beginner readers per say, but it's great for early elementary ages and up. I think it would be great to read to a young kid, and the illustatrations are nicer than the My First Parsha Reader. I don't remember the author, I know it's Artscroll.

Persevere

Post Thu, Dec 08 2022, 11:22 am
groovy1224 wrote:
We really love our set of the the weekly parashah. It's not for beginner readers per say, but it's great for early elementary ages and up. I think it would be great to read to a young kid, and the illustatrations are nicer than the My First Parsha Reader. I don't remember the author, I know it's Artscroll.

Another vote for The Weekly Parsha! I find it to be well written and very engaging. With a younger child, you would not be reading every single paragraph, but could pick out sections to read and show the pictures. It would be a great investment, because as your kids get older and learn to read independently, they can read it on their own. It has a lot of content and incorporates mefarshim, midrashim, etc. into the storyline.

amother
Gladiolus

Post Thu, Dec 08 2022, 2:11 pm
amother OP wrote:
Isn't this just the songs written out in the book with pictures?

They're more than just songs. There is a story to them. It will link the different things to the parsha, then go into the song. It's not a pure parsha book if that's what you want.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 08 2022, 4:44 pm
amother Gladiolus wrote:
They're more than just songs. There is a story to them. It will link the different things to the parsha, then go into the song. It's not a pure parsha book if that's what you want.

You're right about the songs. They are amazing, we have the cds. I just meant that the book is a printed version of the songs. When you read it you are reading the words of the song.

lucky14

Post Thu, Dec 08 2022, 10:40 pm
I really dislike the 613 Torah avenue ones. I think it is very confusing because they have a whole different story going on and randomly tie it into the parsha without really explaining the parsha very much. (Plus I find many of the songs and voices extremely irritating but that is something else). We have another cd that I really like but we only have bereshis for that one and I don’t remember who it’s made by. My son who likes listening to the Torah avenue ones agrees with me that they are not good for learning anything about the parsha.

We have the tell me a story parsha books. He has learned a lot from those. I’m not such a fan of them but they are decent enough. I’d love to find something better.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Dec 09 2022, 12:43 am
I hear what you're saying about the other story line going on, but the songs themselves are full of tochen! If you listen to the details of the songs, there's so much in them.
To be honest, we have Bereishis and Shemos, I'm not so fond of Shemos - the whole amusement park thing is way too distracting. But I love the Bereishis tape.

But I never like when cds are made into books - reading the songs/rhymes in a book form...

yo'ma

Post Fri, Dec 09 2022, 7:19 am
We love the Rabbi Juravel ones! Not necessarily good for that age, though.

lucky14

Post Sat, Dec 10 2022, 10:48 pm
amother OP wrote:
I hear what you're saying about the other story line going on, but the songs themselves are full of tochen! If you listen to the details of the songs, there's so much in them.
To be honest, we have Bereishis and Shemos, I'm not so fond of Shemos - the whole amusement park thing is way too distracting. But I love the Bereishis tape.

But I never like when cds are made into books - reading the songs/rhymes in a book form...

Oops I meant I find the story/plot annoying. I actually like many of the songs.

I looked it up and the parsha cd we like best is the rebbe alter one but from a quick search it looks like berashis was the only one ever made🙁
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers