Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Please HELP me decide on Kitchen Cabinet color choice

amother
OP

Post Sat, Dec 10 2022, 8:08 pm
Ive decided on very good quality Wood Shaker cabinets, and layout, so most of the decisions have been made.

That leaves me with one decision, color of cabinets, and Im down to 2 choices:

1. The lightest color of Natural Maple (has a bone color effect from a distance, when you get closer, you see a subtle grain), all cabinets one color.

OR

2. A combination of White painted upper cabinets and medium stained cherry lower cabinets.

Heres the Pros and Cons of both:

Very light Natural Maple:

Pros of very light Natural Maple:

Will not show chips.
Will enlarge a smallish kitchen.
Flows with light color stained floor that I plan on doing in nearby Living/Dining rooms (now theyre brownish stained).
Id be getting totally solid wood cabinets.

Cons of very light Natural Maple:

Id get used too it, but I always gravitated to a white painted kitchen which people are warning me against, because white painted cabinets chip.
This color may be coming back "in", but it was very in about 10-15 years ago. Many people did this color 10-15 years ago.

White painted upper cabinets and cherry lower cabinets:

Pros of White painted upper cabinets and cherry lower cabinets:

Combination of upper and lower cabinets seems to be very in, and I like it.
It a compromise of the impracticality of a white painted kitchen and practicality of medium stain cabinets on lower cabinets that chip a lot, if painted.
I love cherry.

Cons of White painted upper cabinets and cherry lower cabinets:

White painted upper doors will chip (but I hear the upper doors dont chip as much as lower doors).
Cherry isnt "in".
The white painted doors wouldnt be solid wood, even in a custom quality kitchen, they have a layer of MDF, I think.
May not look good close to Living/Dining room with light stained floors.

amother
Iris

Post Sat, Dec 10 2022, 8:13 pm
Might help if you mention floor color and counter color?

amother
OP

Post Sat, Dec 10 2022, 8:20 pm
amother Iris wrote:
Might help if you mention floor color and counter color?

Floor is a neutral but very busy patterned beige/black that Im keeping because its in good shape and very practical.
It will match with both kitchen cabinet colors.

I havent decided on counter/backsplash. I probably have to go with a quiet counter and backsplash that blends, because floor is busy.

Id love recommendations.

But I need to decide on cabinet color to place kitchen order.

cupcake123

Post Sat, Dec 10 2022, 8:28 pm
I like the 1st option but only bec I don't like the 2 diff colors for upper and lower just my personal taste I think it's not as classy.

Rubber Ducky

Post Sat, Dec 10 2022, 8:40 pm
About MDF and painted Shaker-style cabinets: in a custom line the "picture frame" part of doors will be solid wood, usually maple. The center panel will be MDF because MDF is more dimensionally stable than wood — dimensionally stable means it doesn't expand or shrink with seasonal changes in humidity.

2 color (and even 3-color) kitchens are becoming more popular. There also is a trend toward natural wood. All white kitchens are becoming less popular.

If you love cherry, it's a beautiful wood. YOU are the person who will be living with your choice for many years — so get something you love!

amother
OP

Post Sat, Dec 10 2022, 10:23 pm
Rubber Ducky wrote:
About MDF and painted Shaker-style cabinets: in a custom line the "picture frame" part of doors will be solid wood, usually maple. The center panel will be MDF because MDF is more dimensionally stable than wood — dimensionally stable means it doesn't expand or shrink with seasonal changes in humidity.

Thanks so much for your expertise. Yes thats what kitchen guy said.

Are there any advantages of going with the first choice, stained wood, over painted wood, because of the MDF? I feel like Im not taking advantage of getting a 100% wood cabinet for the price, if the upper cabinet doors have MDF.

amother
Pink

Post Sat, Dec 10 2022, 11:04 pm
Natural maple

amother
PlumPink

Post Sat, Dec 10 2022, 11:07 pm
I have all white. I think darker cabinets are more impractical and show dirt and wear and tear a lot more than white

pause

Post Sat, Dec 10 2022, 11:11 pm
Based on your descriptions, it sounds like you're gravitating towards the second option but you feel like you might not be getting your money's worth as you would with the first. In that case, go with the option you desire more rather than worrying about full value for your money. Liking something is also worth money.

Rubber Ducky

Post Sat, Dec 10 2022, 11:26 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thanks so much for your expertise. Yes thats what kitchen guy said.

Are there any advantages of going with the first choice, stained wood, over painted wood, because of the MDF? I feel like Im not taking advantage of getting a 100% wood cabinet for the price, if the upper cabinet doors have MDF.

Because of the MDF? No. In fact, there was a shortage of MDF for awhile and the owner of the custom cabinet company I use told me that he preferred MDF rather than substituting birch for recessed panels.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen