Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
How to be present for infant/baby

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 11 2022, 4:36 pm
I get very bored sitting on the floor playing, and I'm always so distracted thinking about all of the other things I want to be doing. I stand up and leave after 2 minutes and go do something I want to do until baby cries. It's horrible. I remind myself that it's not fair to my baby and life is not forever so I better spend time now. I'm just so distracted and get so bored and tired from talking in a baby voice blah blah

BrisketBoss

Post Sun, Dec 11 2022, 4:38 pm
You don't need to talk in a baby voice or play on the floor. Just be reasonably present and responsive. "I'm going to go do this now. I'll be back in a minute."

hodeez

Post Sun, Dec 11 2022, 4:39 pm
Why do u have to be present for a baby? Just sit there with them that's usually enough. If you don't wanna do baby talk don't. You can read a book to baby Don't burn yourself out unnecessarily, then you'll start to slip on the stuff that actually matters.

amother
Seagreen

Post Sun, Dec 11 2022, 4:40 pm
I have a 7month old now. How old is your baby?

You don't have to sit there while baby is on a mat grabbing toys.
It is an amazing skill for babies to learn to play alone.

You can play and bond with baby at other times. While changing the diaper, picking up when baby has had enough on floor, before and after each feeding, while baby is in high chair eating etc.

Playing for an infant is literally just eye contact and giggles.

If your baby is already sitting, you can stack some towers and then go get something done while baby brakes it. He'll holler soon enough again.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 11 2022, 4:43 pm
I spend such a tiny percentage of dc's waking hours together because I'm so distracted and always wanting to go do my own things:( It's so sad when it's bedtime I'm like well I barely even spent any time with you today:(

amother
Aster

Post Sun, Dec 11 2022, 4:53 pm
amother OP wrote:
I spend such a tiny percentage of dc's waking hours together because I'm so distracted and always wanting to go do my own things:( It's so sad when it's bedtime I'm like well I barely even spent any time with you today:(

What sort of things are you doing during the day?

Most things you can still be within eye sight of a baby.
You didnt specify how old your baby is but if hes in a baby chair or mat just bring it in same room as you .
No reason you cant cook, clean, work on computer all within earshot of baby.

You can also put on music and sing with.

I also cant sit on the floor for more then a short time.
I never sit and play with my babies all day.

LovesHashem

Post Sun, Dec 11 2022, 4:55 pm
amother OP wrote:

Things I do with a baby that isn't playing with baby toys on the floor:

Peekaboo, tickling. Peekaboo in and out of the mirror
Finger games like the itsy bitsy spider. That age is when they really begin to love it.
Put on music and have a dance party.
I often fold laundry in bed with music and sing/dance with baby as I do it
Go for a walk
Read a book
Just involve them in your every day life in chores, talk to them about what you are doing, have them watch you, etc.
I do baby play dates

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Dec 11 2022, 5:10 pm
Bath time since you need to watch them like a hawk I find is very easy to really be focused on them.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics