Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Baby stopped sleeping

shaina punim

Post Mon, Oct 10 2005, 9:28 pm
my baby is 6 months old and he stoped taking naps and wont go to bed at night, any suggestions?

su7kids

Post Mon, Oct 10 2005, 9:52 pm
Is he hungry? Have you recently started solids? Is he nursing? how was he sleeping before? Does he know how to settle himself?

Is he an only child? Are the others in the house making it noisy? Is the house too quiet?

stem

Post Mon, Oct 10 2005, 9:54 pm
At 6 months they go through separation anxiety. Sooth and comfort the baby as much as possible. It's tough, but it will pass!

shaina punim

Post Mon, Oct 10 2005, 10:10 pm
my other 2 kids r at school douring the day, I give him bottles, he`snot intrusted in food.Before he was sleeping great 2 naps about 2 houres each went to bed at 8:30 now I cant get him to bed at all he only sleepes douring the day if I take him for a walk. he doesnt know how to settle him self down or put ihm self to sleep. I usally give him a bottle but he stoped liking his formula since I had to give him a new one(formula for 6-12 mon.)

shaina punim

Post Mon, Oct 10 2005, 10:12 pm
he is going through seperation anxiety, when I leav the room he starts crying till I ocme back, I am holding him a lot and giving him attention, but how much can u give already .

su7kids

Post Mon, Oct 10 2005, 10:14 pm
Well, maybe you can wean him slowly into that new formula. Part part? I don't know if that's medically indicated.

Also, the back pat method.

You put him down to sleep, and lay him down -- afte ryou know he's fed and clean -- and begin by patting his back quite hard, rhythmically.

Then, as he calms down, you slow down, or make it more gentle. You do this as long as it takes to get him to calm down and settle, and this way he knows you're there, but that you "mean it" with regard to lying down and sleeping.

Eventually, you still have your hand on his back but you're not patting, and then slowly, you lift it up.

It helps with the separation anxiety and it helps with calming him down.

It will take a few times and eventually, he'll learn that lying down (oh, do you put him to sleep on his back or his tummy? I'm assuming on his tummy cos that's how we did it in our "day" -- rub his tummy if he's on his back).

Its once again teaching him routine and what's expected of him.

Good luck

shaina punim

Post Mon, Oct 10 2005, 10:29 pm
that sounds like a good idea. I`v tried it a few times but he just gets up ill try it agan.if I do that for a few nights do u htink he will get use to it and il always have to pat his back?I want him to learn how to go to bed by him self.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics