Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Cutting dairy for enlarged tonsils/adenoids?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 02 2021, 9:08 am
My almost 4 year old daughter has extremely large tonsils and adenoids. She breathes very heavy constantly, especially at night. Im taking her for a sleep study as soon as we get an appointment.
My question is has anyone tried cutting dairy for this?
I spoke to one doctor who said they don't believe it makes a difference, but I'm curious if it ever helped with anyone personally?
She loves her dairy, yogurts, milk. I would try to make it work though with substitute products.
Is it worth it to try?

amother
Babypink

Post Tue, Mar 02 2021, 9:10 am
In my experience, nothing makes a difference or help. They need to be removed. Was she ever seen by an ENT? Skip the sleep study and go to the ENT. Don't wait to have them removed, the recovery is much harder as they get older.

dragoneye126

Post Tue, Mar 02 2021, 9:37 am
Seconding the above poster. Nothing helps, go straight to ENT and schedule surgery ASAP. The recovery is TOUGH for you (not so much on the kid), and it only gets worse as they get older. Hatzlacha!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 02 2021, 9:42 am
The ENT said that even though they are super enlarged he would only do it if it's affecting her sleep

Classicookie

Post Tue, Mar 02 2021, 9:43 am
Cutting dairy can help if you have extreme congestion it doesn't do much for the tonsils and adenoids I agree with the other posters make an appointment with the ent

amother
Babypink

Post Tue, Mar 02 2021, 9:45 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
The ENT said that even though they are super enlarged he would only do it if it's affecting her sleep

Does she have recurring strep? Does she snore? Does she have a yellow/green runny nose?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 02 2021, 9:59 am
amother [ Babypink ] wrote:
Does she have recurring strep? Does she snore? Does she have a yellow/green runny nose?

She just had strep but it's not recurring. More because it was going around her school. She snores very loud and also by day breathes heavy. No mucus in nose generally

amother
Babypink

Post Tue, Mar 02 2021, 10:04 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
She just had strep but it's not recurring. More because it was going around her school. She snores very loud and also by day breathes heavy. No mucus in nose generally

Loud snoring and heavy breathing needs tonsils and adenoids removed. Nothing will help. No need for a sleep study.

anonymrs

Post Tue, Mar 02 2021, 10:41 am
Does she have a tongue tie? Does she have an open mouth posture?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 02 2021, 10:46 am
anonymrs wrote:
Does she have a tongue tie? Does she have an open mouth posture?

No tongue tie but yes open mouth because she can barely if ever breath through her nose. The ENT made it seem like its a non issue unless she has sleep apnea

amother
Fuchsia

Post Tue, Mar 02 2021, 10:52 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
No tongue tie but yes open mouth because she can barely if ever breath through her nose. The ENT made it seem like its a non issue unless she has sleep apnea

If it was my kid, I would cut dairy and see an SLP trained in myofunctional therapy.

honey36

Post Tue, Mar 02 2021, 11:01 am
I think cutting dairy is worth a try, but if it doesn't help after 2-3 weeks I'd for sure do the surgery. Most doctors will tell you cutting dairy doesn't help with anything because there's no evidence based studies etc. But I know of many kids with constant congestion, even recurring bronchitis (one case I know of) that cutting dairy helped with. Doctors never recommended it, but mother's can tell you the truth. No idea if it would work for tonsils though, but worth a try.

Its not just the sleep apnea that is an issue. Does she have speech problems? Lisp?

saw50st8

Post Tue, Mar 02 2021, 11:14 am
Cutting dairy helped my daughter tremendously. It gave her terrible congestion, swollen everything and ear infections. She eventually outgrew it.

I would definitely try it before surgery. Even minor surgery has risks whereas cutting dairy is pretty risk free.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 02 2021, 11:17 am
No speech problems or lisp. She just talks with a blocked sounding nose.
Ok thanks I think I will try cutting dairy

amother
Oak

Post Tue, Mar 02 2021, 11:18 am
Cutting dairy did nothing for my DD. She had mild snoring problems, constant congestion and very frequent cough. ENT put her on meds for a while, said they help at least 50% of kids he sees with her issue. Unfortunately, meds did nothing for her so she had surgery. Saw major improvement immediately bh.

amother
Cyan

Post Tue, Mar 02 2021, 11:32 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My almost 4 year old daughter has extremely large tonsils and adenoids. She breathes very heavy constantly, especially at night. Im taking her for a sleep study as soon as we get an appointment.
I spoke to one doctor who said they don't believe it makes a difference, but I'm curious if it ever helped with anyone personally?
She loves her dairy, yogurts, milk. I would try to make it work though with substitute products.
Is it worth it to try?

DS had this problem. A friend then told me of 4 vitamins from Maxi Health she gave to her child and the problem vanished with no need to operate.

I do not recall the exact name of the vitamins since this was over 19 years ago. If you call Maxi Health, tell them the issue and they will give the list of vitamins.

amother
Babypink

Post Tue, Mar 02 2021, 11:35 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Load snoring is most likely sleep apnea. Cutting dairy generally helps if the child is congested, has a green nose, or fluid in the ears. Cutting dairy doesn't make the tonsils and adenoids shrink in size. You can try it out, but it most likely won't help.

amother
Steelblue

Post Tue, Dec 13 2022, 7:39 pm
Can I bump? Op did cutting dairy help?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 13 2022, 8:37 pm
I definitely didn't try cutting it out for two weeks. I remember buying soy yogurts so I definitely tried it.
Her sleep study came back as severe sleep apnea and we did the surgery. Recovery went wonderfully and the difference was amazing

amother
Cyan

Post Tue, Dec 13 2022, 9:42 pm
amother OP wrote:
Is it worth it to try?

DC was the same. At age 6 someone told me of a mix of 3 vitamins that help magically. I gave it to her and avoided surgery.

Kinesiology could also be very helpful.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers