Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Grocery delivery tip

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 14 2022, 12:33 pm
I order groceries online and they charge a $10 tip fee. Do I tip the delivery guys personally when they deliver my order? I feel stupid not to tip, but I'm being charged tip already.

MiracleMama

Post Wed, Dec 14 2022, 12:37 pm
If it's a tip fee I would assume it covers the delivery guy's tip. If it's a service fee, the store may be keeping some or all of that fee. Maybe ask the store if the $10 is going to the delivery person.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 14 2022, 12:59 pm
MiracleMama wrote:
If it's a tip fee I would assume it covers the delivery guy's tip. If it's a service fee, the store may be keeping some or all of that fee. Maybe ask the store if the $10 is going to the delivery person.

There's a service fee and an additional delivery tip fee. Good idea to ask the store if it's going to the delivery guy, thanx.

Amarante

Post Wed, Dec 14 2022, 1:04 pm
Is this from an individual store? Or one of the online Apps like Instacart?

I would ask the store to confirm their policy and you might even ask the delivery person whether they receive the amount of the tip you are charged. Unfortunately I have read about a lot of less than ethical companies which take the "tips" they charge.

I use Instacart and there is a service charge and then I tip as well but that is slightly different since there is theoretically an option for no tip but I would never not tip somebody.

Honestly $10 may or may not be a good tip depending on your circumstances - was it a huge order? Did they have to carry a lot of heavy items up stairs like cases of water. I try to err on the side of generosity since I assume that someone delivering groceries for a living is really working hard for probably a not great salary.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 14 2022, 1:21 pm
Amarante wrote:
Is this from an individual store? Or one of the online Apps like Instacart?

I would ask the store to confirm their policy and you might even ask the delivery person whether they receive the amount of the tip you are charged. Unfortunately I have read about a lot of less than ethical companies which take the "tips" they charge.

I use Instacart and there is a service charge and then I tip as well but that is slightly different since there is theoretically an option for no tip but I would never not tip somebody.

Honestly $10 may or may not be a good tip depending on your circumstances - was it a huge order? Did they have to carry a lot of heavy items up stairs like cases of water. I try to err on the side of generosity since I assume that someone delivering groceries for a living is really working hard for probably a not great salary.

It's an individual store, a local grocery. They charge a service fee and a separate delivery tip. I do my weekly orders, not very big. 4-5 boxes. I give an additional tip because I feel stupid not giving. But I'm being charged tip by the grocery already. I don't know if I'd feel comfortable asking the guy directly if he gets the tip money. Hope it's not part of his salary .

agreer

Post Wed, Dec 14 2022, 1:27 pm
NO!
Don't let them rip you off....

Why would you be paying the store a delivery tip? Are they delivering it personally? No, they have a delivery guy, and that's who the tip is for.

And if the store isn't giving them the tip, that is WRONG of them to charge you for it. You should make sure the delivery guy knows you paid the delivery tip, and thank them for their hard work.

Amarante

Post Wed, Dec 14 2022, 1:27 pm
amother OP wrote:
It's an individual store, a local grocery. They charge a service fee and a separate delivery tip. I do my weekly orders, not very big. 4-5 boxes. I give an additional tip because I feel stupid not giving. But I'm being charged tip by the grocery already. I don't know if I'd feel comfortable asking the guy directly if he gets the tip money. Hope it's not part of his salary .

It is a difficult situation because one really doesn't know what is happening behind the scenes and one wants to not take advantage of a menial delivery person.

I guess the store imposed a mandatory tip because I bet a lot of people weren't tipping the delivery guy at all which is very sad - or tipping such a minimal amount that it was almost insulting like $1.00 for everything. Very Happy

I guess one solution might be to give him $5.00 or so and say that your order included a $10 tip and you could judge by his reaction whether it was a surprise or not that he should be getting $10 in his pay check for each delivery he made.

As I posted, I try to be generous to service people - I would rather be a bit over generous than be stingy.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 14 2022, 1:37 pm
Amarante wrote:
It is a difficult situation because one really doesn't know what is happening behind the scenes and one wants to not take advantage of a menial delivery person.

I guess the store imposed a mandatory tip because I bet a lot of people weren't tipping the delivery guy at all which is very sad - or tipping such a minimal amount that it was almost insulting like $1.00 for everything. Very Happy

I guess one solution might be to give him $5.00 or so and say that your order included a $10 tip and you could judge by his reaction whether it was a surprise or not that he should be getting $10 in his pay check for each delivery he made.

As I posted, I try to be generous to service people - I would rather be a bit over generous than be stingy.

Good idea, thanx.
I think I'll also call the store and ask them if the $10 goes to the delivery guy. $10 is a substantial tip in my neighborhood.

Amarante

Post Wed, Dec 14 2022, 1:39 pm
amother OP wrote:
Good idea, thanx.
I think I'll also call the store and ask them if the $10 goes to the delivery guy. $10 is a substantial tip in my neighborhood.

I've done that with delivery of restaurant food when the App has tipping in it.

I thank the delivery person and let them know that I tipped in the App - and will sometimes slip them a few dollars if I have it. I don't do a lot of cash transactions and so I often only have $20 bills from the ATM and not smaller denominations.

amother
Valerian

Post Wed, Dec 14 2022, 4:47 pm
What is considered a fair amount to tip a delivery driver for 1 box coming up a about 30 stairs (no elevator)

amother
Dahlia

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 6:27 pm
amother OP wrote:
I order groceries online and they charge a $10 tip fee. Do I tip the delivery guys personally when they deliver my order? I feel stupid not to tip, but I'm being charged tip already.

They charge a $10 tip fee or a $10 delivery fee? Those are very different things, and the delivery person does not get a delivery fee. I don't know of any grocery delivery service that charges exactly a $10 tip up front. Some like Giant or Safeway charge a $10 delivery fee. A tip is separate and is expected. You should tip and there's a reason you're feeling guilt for not tipping. For most delivery services, you can tip cash when they arrive, but almost all delivery services allow you to tip directly in the app or online when you order or right after delivery.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette