Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Bnos maarava mother's helper
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 1:17 pm
Did anyone's daughter take this job as an option to be a new camper at bnos maarava? Did she enjoy it?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 3:22 pm
Every job is different in terms of hours/kids/families but overall I've heard girls like it.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 3:25 pm
Thank you

amother
Royalblue

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 3:48 pm
If anyone know of any other mother's helper job available in a girl's camp, please post!

Can't afford the price but my daughter really wants to go!!!

She's 14, super capable and very responsible, babysits all the time...

amother
Blonde

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 11:54 am
Royal blue, you should call up the camps your daughter would like to attend and ask them if they have open mothers helpers positions.
My daughter went as a mothers helper last year with the promise that we would send her this year as a regular camper. I couldnt afford to send her last year otherwise but I wanted her to start camp the same year as most of a friends. She had a great experience and wants to go back as a mothers helper this summer too. She enjoyed having some time off from activities and she loved the kids. She said it would be a total waste to go as a camper.
You should still be aware that camp charge for mothers helper arpund 700.

amother
Royalblue

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 1:06 pm
amother Blonde wrote:
Royal blue, you should call up the camps your daughter would like to attend and ask them if they have open mothers helpers positions.
My daughter went as a mothers helper last year with the promise that we would send her this year as a regular camper. I couldnt afford to send her last year otherwise but I wanted her to start camp the same year as most of a friends. She had a great experience and wants to go back as a mothers helper this summer too. She enjoyed having some time off from activities and she loved the kids. She said it would be a total waste to go as a camper.

Used to be $400 when my big girls went to camp! Wink
I can do that but I spoke to a few ppl that told me the best way is to find a nice family that usually get a mother's helper.
One of the camp I called told me they only hire older girls for mother's helper because "so many girls want to come to their camp!!"

amother
Valerian

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 1:15 pm
amother Blonde wrote:

how many hours a day did she work?
maarava said it can be up to 5 hours a day...

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 15 2022, 8:26 am
Do the girls still feel included with the campers?

amother
Valerian

Post Thu, Dec 15 2022, 8:48 am
my daughter's friends at maarava did but they also didn't end up having 5 hours. her friend told her that she did know a girl who got 5 hours so it's kind of a gamble, not sure we feel comfortable taking that gamble.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 15 2022, 8:56 am
But did that girl still feel part of the camp or she had a bad time?

amother
Watermelon

Post Thu, Dec 15 2022, 9:20 am
My daughter was a mother’s helper there one year but that was after she’d already been a camper so she had all her friends already. She had a great time but it’s mazel. Some mother’s helpers jobs are harder than others. My dd made all her friends help her so she barely lifted a finger. Very Happy

amother
Valerian

Post Thu, Dec 15 2022, 9:28 am
would you say some are significantly harder or just that they can't be exact? it really seems very dependent on uneven which concerns me.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 15 2022, 9:31 am
Thank you for the responses please keep all the experiences coming I appreciate it

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Dec 15 2022, 9:39 am
I have had 2 daughters go as mother's helpers. They never had the full 5 hours. Different times they were needed based on the role of the mother. Totally included in camp and made tons of friends. My daughter last year mainly had to be on call during lunch which was fine since she didn't really like the food then anyway. One year my daughter had a bit of afternoon responsibilities and on Shabbos afternoon as well. She was able to use the phone of the mother she was helping and enjoyed those perks to call home more. Neither regret their years there as mother's helper.... There's just no way to know in advance what your responsibilities will be.
They also majorly increased the price. Last year it was 650 to go as a mother's helper, this year it's 950!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 15 2022, 9:41 am
Did they end up getting in as campers the following year?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Dec 15 2022, 9:56 am
Yes, right away. No issues at all.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 15 2022, 10:42 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Yes, right away. No issues at all.

Great I hope this will b an option for us. Waiting and waiting

amother
Royalblue

Post Thu, Dec 15 2022, 12:28 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:

They also majorly increased the price. Last year it was 650 to go as a mother's helper, this year it's 950!

Sure, why not free labor, let's also charge since we're giving you the opportunity to work for us.... sarcasm alert!
I think it's a huge chutzpa all those camps that charge a fortune and don't pay their staff!
To make a mother's helper pay $950 is totally outrageous!!
Just my opinion!!

Tova

Post Thu, Dec 15 2022, 2:57 pm
My daughter also had a good experience as a mother's helper at Maarava and will be going back as a regular camper. She worked together for the same family with another girl in her bunk so there was the social aspect of that also. She completely felt a part of camp, made a lot of friends etc.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 15 2022, 2:59 pm
Sounds like in maarava the girls get along well in general. I hear in other camps sometimes the mother's helpers feel like second class citizens so I appreciate all the positive views
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children