Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
What do give teacher for $15?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Dec 16 2022, 11:07 am
My son is at a playgroup, I would like to give his 2 teachers something for chanukah to show hakaras hatov but can only spend 15-20 each? I feel silly to give that amount in cash, any ideas? Thanks

Amarante

Post Fri, Dec 16 2022, 11:09 am
Give them a gift card for amazon or even Starbucks. ETA And by this I mean give them money or the equivalent of money - cash, check or a gift card to a store that really carries something for everyone - both fun or functional. If they want to buy diapers with it, good for them. I don't think gift cards to specific stores make sense. I still have a 20 year old gift card to a bookstore which I never used even though I bought books because I forgot to use it or I didn't have it with me.

Money or the true spendable easy to use equivalent is the best thing to get relatively low paid workers.

No one really wants a random tchotchke, candle or hand cream instead of money - especially in this season when there are expenses.

Last edited by Amarante on Fri, Dec 16 2022, 11:32 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Natural

Post Fri, Dec 16 2022, 11:11 am
I ask at the bookstore what they recommend for a teacher for my budget and make sure they give a gift certificate so it's exchangeable.

amother
Hunter

My dd is in kindergarten. I'm giving each morah an $18 check. I think it's a respectable amount and a thoughtful gift. No reason to think of 15-20 as a small amount, and I think most morahs prefer cash. If they get similar amounts from a few students they can combine it and use it for something bigger.
And of course write a nice card.

amother
OP

Amarante wrote:
Give them a gift card for amazon or even Starbucks.

That is the best thing to get relatively low paid workers.

No one really wants a random tchotchke, candle or hand cream instead of money - especially in this season when there are expenses.

They’re very yeshivish so Amazon and Starbucks aren’t a good option for them, no internet…

amother
Lotus

I am giving $18 check or gift card depending on the person. No shame. If it's not enough il gladly take returns.

amother
Glitter

Post Fri, Dec 16 2022, 11:13 am
I bought myself a set of small square crystal tealight holders on Amazon. I use them when I have guests. Recommend because they are small and useful.

Amarante

Post Fri, Dec 16 2022, 11:14 am
amother OP wrote:
They’re very yeshivish so Amazon and Starbucks aren’t a good option for them, no internet…

Then give them cash with a nice card.

My point is that give them money so they have the ability to buy what they want and need.

No one wants or needs random tchotchkes.

Last edited by Amarante on Fri, Dec 16 2022, 11:16 am; edited 1 time in total

lora

Post Fri, Dec 16 2022, 11:14 am
Nice umbrella, expensive chocolate, "Best Teacher" something like a mug....

amother
Natural

Post Fri, Dec 16 2022, 11:16 am
amother OP wrote:
If you're in Lakewood you can do gift card registry.

amother
Carnation

Post Fri, Dec 16 2022, 11:17 am
I give Target gift cards, but I guess that depends on the city. Target is big where we live and the teachers can then choose to use on household items, food, or something to treat themselves.

amother
Catmint

Post Fri, Dec 16 2022, 11:29 am
amother OP wrote:
My son is at a playgroup, I would like to give his 2 teachers something for chanukah to show hakaras hatov but can only spend 15-20 each? I feel silly to give that amount in cash, any ideas? Thanks

$20 with a note is perfectly acceptable
Im a daycare morah and every parent gives about $20 more or less, I end up with around $200 chanukah gelt...its very appreciated
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers