Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins
How much time to add to double 9x9 brownie recipe:

GramaNewYork

Post Sun, Dec 18 2022, 4:48 am
I am going to double a 9x9 pan brownie recipe that is supposed to bake for 25 minutes. Do you know how long I need to bake it when doubled? I would use an 11x16 pan. (It's probably a little bit too big, but I think it will be ok. There is a formula as to how to figure out double baking time but I've never done it so I don't have the confidence. The formula brought me to 41 minutes. What do you think from experience?

9x9 = 81
11x16 = 176

81x2 = 162

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Dec 18 2022, 8:37 am
I would bake it with a foil crown, or put on the crown after 20 minutes. I think it's called a crown. What you do is, tear a piece of foil a little larger than the pan. Fold it in quarters and cut a square/rectangle from the middle (where it's all joined together). Open it up and you'll have a frame. Not too skinny, you want it to be a few inches all around. Crimp it loosely or place it over the pan. The idea is, the middle can keep baking without the edges turning dry.

GramaNewYork

Post Sun, Dec 18 2022, 9:21 am
PinkFridge wrote:
I would bake it with a foil crown, or put on the crown after 20 minutes. I think it's called a crown. What you do is, tear a piece of foil a little larger than the pan. Fold it in quarters and cut a square/rectangle from the middle (where it's all joined together). Open it up and you'll have a frame. Not too skinny, you want it to be a few inches all around. Crimp it loosely or place it over the pan. The idea is, the middle can keep baking without the edges turning dry.

For some reason I missed your reply and your idea would've been perfect!

The edges were a tiny bit burnt and too "crisp" to call a brownie. I'm hoping the inside is like a brownie.

I've always been terrible in math...I took it out after 30 but I should've taken it out after 25.

Hopefully all is not lost. This is for a peppermint-bark brownie. The top is covered with chocolate and crushed peppermint. I like to serve it frozen. Thank you for your reply!

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Dec 18 2022, 9:26 am
GramaNewYork wrote:
For some reason I missed your reply and your idea would've been perfect!

The edges were a tiny bit burnt and too "crisp" to call a brownie. I'm hoping the inside is like a brownie.

I've always been terrible in math...I took it out after 30 but I should've taken it out after 25.

Hopefully all is not lost. This is for a peppermint-bark brownie. The top is covered with chocolate and crushed peppermint. I like to serve it frozen. Thank you for your reply!

Sounds yum, and I'm sure it will be a hit. If you do use a crown in the future check at the early times but it might take a little longer.

cbsp

Post Sun, Dec 18 2022, 9:33 am
Sounds yum.

For the future, here's how I do it.

Sometimes when I double a recipe the batter is actually thinner in the bigger pan than in the larger pan. So I start checking earlier. I usually rotate the pans halfway through baking anyway, so I set the timer for half the original baking time and I see how it looks. If it looks like it usually does at this point, I continue baking it for the originally recommended time. Otherwise I decide if it needs less or more time at this point.

If it really looks like it's baking too fast I'll even drop the temperature. Don't know Celsius, but for Fahrenheit I'd go from 350 to 325. I wouldn't raise it to 375 if it's too underdone, though. I'd just increase baking time in 5-8 minute increments (definitely not double)

Last edited by cbsp on Sun, Dec 18 2022, 9:38 am; edited 1 time in total

GramaNewYork

Post Sun, Dec 18 2022, 9:36 am
Thank you! I will make a note on the recipe. I can't understand why people wound wasn't a recipe for brownies in a small pan 😉😋
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins