Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Chanukah
Please help me figure out monetary gifts for grandchildren

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 21 2022, 9:31 pm
If I want to give each a dollar amount based on age, whats a nice amount per year (age)?

How much Chanukah gelt would you give an 18 year old, 10 year old, 5 year old, if I use a formula by age?

amother
Lightcoral

Post Wed, Dec 21 2022, 9:57 pm
My grandmother would give us our age until $20. That was the max. A different grandmother gives every couple $100, older teens/ singles $50, younger $25. Kids $10

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 21 2022, 10:04 pm
amother Lightcoral wrote:
My grandmother would give us our age until $20. That was the max. A different grandmother gives every couple $100, older teens/ singles $50, younger $25. Kids $10

Thanks, I know it depends on generosity, but Im wondering if people give more lately?

#BestBubby

Post Wed, Dec 21 2022, 10:05 pm
A nice amount is minimum $10 for kids

And $20 for adults.

amother
Slategray

Post Wed, Dec 21 2022, 10:08 pm
In our family some people give :
$20 to each grandkid
$ 20 to pre- bar / bat mitzvah , $50 after
$ 18 each grandkid including married ones
$ few dollars per kid but also gifts for everyone

amother
Burntblack

Post Wed, Dec 21 2022, 10:18 pm
My in laws give $5 till 5 years old, $10 till 10 years old then $20 till about 12-14, then $50.
My parents give the amount of the kids age. ($9 for a 9 year old.....

amother
Alyssum

Post Wed, Dec 21 2022, 10:31 pm
My grandparents used to give one hundred dollars to my parents and asked that they divide it as they wish
We were eight kids so that was nice
It’s now a few decades so I’d say the value would be one fifty per family
On a side I still get Chanukah gelt from my parents and in laws and really appreciate it

amother
Cognac

Post Wed, Dec 21 2022, 11:37 pm
my in laws give the dollar amount of each grandchild's age

amother
Brunette

Post Thu, Dec 22 2022, 12:08 am
My parents don't usually give but did give this year was just a really special surprise. And they got over $100 for each kid. It did not matter the age and honestly I think I would have had a made up the difference if they did. I don't think it's so nice to give the age amount. I feel like it gives a really negative association to the holiday. I would rather a parent get less to each kid then give different amounts. I think something's are meant to be unfair in life and not all my kids give equal things but that would just be really hurtful right in their face. Like birthday is that kid and just that kid so if an older kid gets a bigger present than that to me seems totally fine. Just want to give it all in front of everybody that just causes really hurt feelings. I'm so happy that my parents gave to everybody. My young kid all the way to my 20 year old got the same.

amother
Honey

Post Thu, Dec 22 2022, 2:44 am
My grandparents gave $100 bills to each grandchild. Obviously they were well to do.

imasinger

Post Thu, Dec 22 2022, 3:56 am
It makes sense to give more lately, because inflation.

One school I work for has given the same amount Chanukah bonus for first my predecessor and then myself, for 40 years. In the beginning, it was worth a whole lot more than it is now.

amother
Bellflower

Post Thu, Dec 22 2022, 4:05 am
BH with 25+ grandchildren, here is my formula:
$20 from bar/bas mitzva until they are over age 21
$50 to over age 21 and married couples
$15 to kids between age 9 and bar/bas mitzva
$10 to all kids under 9

Envelopes with cash, divided by family.

DVOM

Post Thu, Dec 22 2022, 4:07 am
My parents give 20$ to each of my kids, regardless of age.

It would be very hard on my younger boys if they chose to give according to age. They may be younger, but they have the same hunger as my older kids for 'good' Lego sets, cool nerf guns, big packs of baseball cards. In my opinion, gifting by age causes unnecessary hurt feelings.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 22 2022, 5:34 am
amother Brunette wrote:
My parents don't usually give but did give this year was just a really special surprise. And they got over $100 for each kid. It did not matter the age and honestly I think I would have had a made up the difference if they did. I don't think it's so nice to give the age amount. I feel like it gives a really negative association to the holiday. I would rather a parent get less to each kid then give different amounts. I think something's are meant to be unfair in life and not all my kids give equal things but that would just be really hurtful right in their face. Like birthday is that kid and just that kid so if an older kid gets a bigger present than that to me seems totally fine. Just want to give it all in front of everybody that just causes really hurt feelings. I'm so happy that my parents gave to everybody. My young kid all the way to my 20 year old got the same.

Really? You think a 5 year old should get the same as an 18 year old?

amother
Phlox

Post Thu, Dec 22 2022, 5:41 am
amother OP wrote:
Really? You think a 5 year old should get the same as an 18 year old?

We divide it equally. We are a family of 5 kids. My mother gives $250 and I divide it and give $50 for each child and I have adult children who get the same as their toddler sister.
Even when I purchase gifts , I give myself a budget of $50 per child regardless of age. It makes things simpler.

amother
Bellflower

Post Thu, Dec 22 2022, 5:55 am
DVOM wrote:
My parents give 20$ to each of my kids, regardless of age.

It would be very hard on my younger boys if they chose to give according to age. They may be younger, but they have the same hunger as my older kids for 'good' Lego sets, cool nerf guns, big packs of baseball cards. In my opinion, gifting by age causes unnecessary hurt feelings.

Aren't children just happy Bubby and Zaidy gave them Chanukah gelt? Not every grandparent has the budget either to give $20 to all or $50 to all etc.......... and no: all aged kids are not equal in terms of gifts.

tichellady

Post Thu, Dec 22 2022, 7:43 am
I would give the same amount or spend different amounts on gifts. a 4 year old doesn't know his ball cost $3 and his sister's doll cost $20 but I think it's weird to give them different amounts of money

amother
Ecru

Post Thu, Dec 22 2022, 7:44 am
My ILs give each kid over BM 50 shekel.
Their children (all adults either married or divorced) 250 shekel.
And younger kids get a gift (they generally spend less on the gifts).
I don’t know if they give the adult/married grandkids more.
My parents give the older grandkids 50 shekel too or maybe a bit more and younger kids gifts (but their gifts are more expensive and their cut off for cash gifts is different) - no adult grandchildren.
As a young adult I got 250 from one side and 50 from the other.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics