Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
Do you give your cleaning lady a holiday gift?
Previous  1  2  3  4

amother
Watermelon

Post Tue, Dec 20 2022, 3:14 pm
amother Cornsilk wrote:
Phew! So interesting how different it is in America. I keep noticing differences. Also more people seems to be in therapy for something or other in usa. And they spend more on simchas..

Mmm....I wonder if there's a connection?! Scratching Head

snailmail

Post Tue, Dec 20 2022, 3:25 pm
MiracleMama wrote:
One week's salary.

This seems to be an unwritten standard.
Its what I do - if/when I can afford it.
If not, a small gift pack from CVS & nice card.

amother
NeonBlue

Post Tue, Dec 20 2022, 3:38 pm
I work in corporate america for more than 12 years. I have never received a bonus. (Unless you count cheap branded merch.) Company used to have holiday party, and used to send us an email saying "money has been given in your name to xyz needy students association" , but even those have been cut back over the years. I used to fume over all these bonuses given to workers who you already pay cash to, or to those who you dont even pay (mailman, garbage men, doorman etc) but have come to realize that that is the cost of keeping these people doing jobs satisfactorily for you. I give with a grudge in order to keep bribing them to do their job, as it is now expected.

amother
Lily

Post Tue, Dec 20 2022, 3:45 pm
Yes , I would give the same , box of chocolates, for my cleaning lady here in Uk.

Though , the one I have been using this year is black , shes very religious, tells me she doesnt work after noon on friday.. I dont know if that means she keeps xmas or not?

leilatov1

Post Tue, Dec 20 2022, 4:15 pm
I give a small gift (think under £10 from boots) and £40 extra. I'm also away so it's basically her pay for when I'm gone

4g01o

Post Tue, Dec 20 2022, 4:42 pm
leilatov1 wrote:
I give a small gift (think under £10 from boots) and £40 extra. I'm also away so it's basically her pay for when I'm gone

That's very generous of you.

amother
Wheat

Post Tue, Dec 20 2022, 9:27 pm
Mine works twice a week and I pay her very well. I gave her 100$ which is less than she makes in one day. I was not aware of this rule to pay one week’s worth. I thought that was very generous and I hope that she appreciates it.

amother
Lightgreen

Post Tue, Dec 20 2022, 9:41 pm
Highstrung wrote:
Is it really the expectation of the cleaning ladies to get a weeks worth of pay as a holiday gift? Is this world wide ? Is this an American thing? Is this community specific?

This must be community specific, I do not give a weeks pay, never even heard of such a high amount. I have her 3 times a week, I would do maybe $50? I mean, it’s a gift. Why is it supposed to be a set amount?

amother
Cadetblue

Post Tue, Dec 20 2022, 10:02 pm
Any Boro Parkers here? What’s the standard?

amother
Pear

Post Tue, Dec 20 2022, 11:43 pm
amother Slategray wrote:
Our rav told us we cannot give holiday gift. It’s acknowledging something that is against our Torah.
Instead, he said, give a New Years gift and state it explicitly.
I give $100, a lot for me.

Our Rav said exactly the same!!!

amother
Pear

Post Tue, Dec 20 2022, 11:44 pm
amother Lily wrote:
Yes , I would give the same , box of chocolates, for my cleaning lady here in Uk.

Though , the one I have been using this year is black , shes very religious, tells me she doesnt work after noon on friday.. I dont know if that means she keeps xmas or not?

Sounds like she's from The 7th Day Adventists

amother
Pear

Post Tue, Dec 20 2022, 11:49 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
Ridiculous. Just give her a Chanukah gift . Why does everyone make issues out of tissues 🙄

The gift is not given in time for Xmas but given just before the New Year. Sometimes even just after the New year.

amother
Daphne

Post Wed, Dec 21 2022, 12:06 am
My cleaning lady comes once a week for a couple hours and I pay her $45. I gave her $100 last week ($45 for regular clean + $55 bonus). I can't afford more (otherwise I'd have her way more often!).
She said thank you and appeared to be happy but I have no way of knowing...
I davka did it a few weeks before Xmas though I never asked a Rav about it.

amother
Tanzanite

Post Wed, Dec 21 2022, 7:40 am
My lady has been with me for only 3 months now once a week. Do I tip her? Boro park for reference. And how much do I tip if yes?

s c

Post Wed, Dec 21 2022, 7:44 am
I'm from the UK and gave a box of chocolates and £50 cash

amother
DarkCyan

Post Wed, Dec 21 2022, 9:00 am
I have a cleaning lady one morning a week and I greatly rely on her. She's been coming to us for 15 years already and she is trustworthy and reliable. You'd better believe I give her a holiday gift! I give her double pay for the day plus a bit to round up to the nearest hundred. So last week I gave her $200. I always give either on Chanukah or early December and say it's for the holidays rather than giving the week of x-mas.

My boys aren't old enough to have rebbeim yet, so I have no idea what the standard is. I just contribute to the school appreciation gifts for the teachers in whatever amount they request.

amother
Watermelon

Post Wed, Dec 21 2022, 7:29 pm
Guess who didn't show up today?
Really hard when you only have one day a week!
I was supposed to give her a gift today!! LOL

amother
Jade

Post Thu, Dec 22 2022, 1:19 pm
amother Wheat wrote:
Who do you give more to your cleaning lady or your child’s Rebbe?

Rebbe

amother
Lily

Post Thu, Dec 22 2022, 1:25 pm
amother Pear wrote:
Sounds like she's from The 7th Day Adventists

What does that mean?
Does she keep it?

I didnt give her anything and shes only coming again after Xmas.

amother
Pear

Post Thu, Dec 22 2022, 1:39 pm
amother Lily wrote:
What does that mean?
Does she keep it?

I didnt give her anything and shes only coming again after Xmas.
Seventh-day Adventists do not find instruction in the Bible to celebrate either x-mas or Easter as distinct holy days. Believers are free to celebrate x-mas and Easter if they choose, and many do. But the church does not feel obliged to recognize those days.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics