Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Is it tacky

aimhabanim

Post Thu, Dec 22 2022, 10:14 am
To give a gift of a gift certificate for a business I own?

amother
Mauve

Post Thu, Dec 22 2022, 10:16 am
A little

ynms

Post Thu, Dec 22 2022, 10:17 am
It depends on what your selling and who the recipient is....

cupcake123

Post Thu, Dec 22 2022, 10:37 am
No

amother
DarkKhaki

Post Thu, Dec 22 2022, 10:42 am
It depends. My business is expensive and people dream of using it but can’t afford it. So I find it’s always appreciated.

zaq

Post Thu, Dec 22 2022, 10:44 am
Right. If you own a dollar store...yes. If you own a niche business that wouldn't appeal to everyone, definitely. Let's say I don't wear sheitels. Even if you gave me a certificate for $1000 to your sheitel biz, it would be of zero value to me. If I did wear sheitels and your cheapest sheitel went for $5000, that would mean I'd have to spend $4000 to use your gift. Moichel toives.

flowerpower

Post Thu, Dec 22 2022, 11:01 am
It depends what your business is. My sibling gives gift cards to her shop. It’s a shop people would enjoy purchasing items from...

singleagain

Post Thu, Dec 22 2022, 11:36 am
I think it's tacky bc It sounds like it's really a gift for the business owner because the person is going to come spend money at their business. And possibly even more money than the gift certificate.

I think it would be a better gift to give a discount a friends and family discount kind of thing on the entire order... If they enjoy shopping in your business

amother
Daisy

Post Thu, Dec 22 2022, 11:39 am
I'd say it makes a difference if they would have to put money in on top of the gift certificate for what then would want. If you sell head coverings, and you give a certificate for enough to buy one or two of something, it's basically like giving them a gift but yiu don't know their taste. If the would have to put in money, definitely not.

amother
Emerald

Post Thu, Dec 22 2022, 11:39 am
It’s ok if it’s something they could use and it covers the whole amount of an item or service. For example if you are a photographer and you charge minimum $400 a $200 gift card is not ok even if it’s a high value.

amother
Obsidian

Post Thu, Dec 22 2022, 11:51 am
Can you give a gift certificate for an item up to a certain price as opposed to a set value which they will need to add more money?

Like the person above said, for one head covering or a bouquet of flowers of their choosing or a serving piece or shaital wash.

$1000 off a purchase is not a gift.

amother
Tomato

Post Thu, Dec 22 2022, 1:46 pm
amother Emerald wrote:
It’s ok if it’s something they could use and it covers the whole amount of an item or service. For example if you are a photographer and you charge minimum $400 a $200 gift card is not ok even if it’s a high value.

I am a photographer and I don’t allow anyone to purchase a gift card for less than my minimum package. It’s not fair to the giver or recipient and I don’t like forcing someone to pay money they weren’t interested in spending. And I charge A LOT more than $400 for my min package

amother
Lightblue

Post Thu, Dec 22 2022, 2:09 pm
amother Tomato wrote:
I am a photographer and I don’t allow anyone to purchase a gift card for less than my minimum package. It’s not fair to the giver or recipient and I don’t like forcing someone to pay money they weren’t interested in spending. And I charge A LOT more than $400 for my min package

This is the only NON-tacky way to give a gift card to your own store.

Otherwise, you're just giving them a discount.

And before I read this post, I was going to say that yes, it is very tacky to give a gift card to your own store.

My DH once got paid for a service in gift cards to the person's store. I was very upset about it, although he wasn't.

amother
DarkKhaki

Post Thu, Dec 22 2022, 2:11 pm
amother Lightblue wrote:
This is the only NON-tacky way to give a gift card to your own store.

Otherwise, you're just giving them a discount.

And before I read this post, I was going to say that yes, it is very tacky to give a gift card to your own store.

My DH once got paid for a service in gift cards to the person's store. I was very upset about it, although he wasn't.

Getting paid in gift cards is crazy. A gift card to your own business as a gift can be ok depending on the circumstance.

tweety1

Post Thu, Dec 22 2022, 2:13 pm
Depends. I once got such a gift card. I seriously still don't know how this person didn't know that it's useless especially in the amount I got. It was $75 which is technically nice but under $400 I couldn't do anything with it. I never ended up using it.

amother
Daphne

Post Thu, Dec 22 2022, 2:28 pm
aimhabanim wrote:
To give a gift of a gift certificate for a business I own?

Yes

amother
Impatiens

Post Thu, Dec 22 2022, 2:40 pm
My friend is a teacher. She got a gift certificate from a parent, a photographer, to her own studio.
I don't recall if it covered the full session, but I know she was very pleased.

effess

Post Thu, Dec 22 2022, 5:13 pm
I received a wedding gift card to someone’s houseware business. It was wonderful!
I got so many things I just dreamed of buying.
And fir the store owner, his gift was less out of pocket. Win win.
So it boils down to the question if your business is something of value to the gift receiver.

mushkamothers

Post Thu, Dec 22 2022, 5:22 pm
effess wrote:
I received a wedding gift card to someone’s houseware business. It was wonderful!
I got so many things I just dreamed of buying.
And fir the store owner, his gift was less out of pocket. Win win.
So it boils down to the question if your business is something of value to the gift receiver.

Same, for our wedding a relative gave us a gift certificate to his housewares store and we chose a nice vase and some other misc items. I added some money on top but didn't have to.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette