Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
Naki radio

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 22 2021, 10:47 pm
Thinking about getting for the family for Chanukah. I have a few questions, if anyone has it can chime in I'd appreciate it!
1. Is there enough to listen to with stories that is not subscription? Would I end up paying extra?
2… solo versus duo... Advantage and disadvantage.
3. Is it durable? Being schlepped around by kids?
4. How good do I need my wifi to be? With my cell I definitely have spots that don't work, in my house. Would I need to buy a wifi booster?

Thanks!

bobeli

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 10:27 am
Following

amother
Opal

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 10:52 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thinking about getting for the family for Chanukah. I have a few questions, if anyone has it can chime in I'd appreciate it!
1. Is there enough to listen to with stories that is not subscription? Would I end up paying extra? We got ours a few years ago and the subscription only started recently. My kids always have enough to listen to and we never paid extra.
2… solo versus duo... Advantage and disadvantage. We have the solo. Didn't want a big one and it's also more expensive. It's perfect for us as it gets moved around the house a lot.
3. Is it durable? Being schlepped around by kids? Definitely durable! No issues and as I wrote, it's been a few years.
4. How good do I need my wifi to be? With my cell I definitely have spots that don't work, in my house. Would I need to buy a wifi booster? Can't help much with that as we already had wifi boosters in our house when we got it.

Thanks!

mommyhood

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 11:18 am
We have it for a couple years and don't pay for a subscription. I do hear my kids listening to the same stories multiple times so it could be some kids would get bored if they don't like to do that but it's enough for us.

I don't think duo was around when we bought it we have the older style and it's great

In the beginning my kids took it from room to room but it was getting knocked over and dropped and it got a nice chip in the corner and I didn't want it to break so now we keep it in one place. We are considering buying a second one.

My wifi is ok I don't have any boosters and it's kept pretty far from the router and it works fine.

goforit

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 11:24 am
mommyhood wrote:
We have it for a couple years and don't pay for a subscription. I do hear my kids listening to the same stories multiple times so it could be some kids would get bored if they don't like to do that but it's enough for us.

I don't think duo was around when we bought it we have the older style and it's great

In the beginning my kids took it from room to room but it was getting knocked over and dropped and it got a nice chip in the corner and I didn't want it to break so now we keep it in one place. We are considering buying a second one.

My wifi is ok I don't have any boosters and it's kept pretty far from the router and it works fine.

Do you know if it would work with no wifi just a mobile Hotspot. They say it will but I wonder how good.

mommyhood

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 11:34 am
goforit wrote:
Do you know if it would work with no wifi just a mobile Hotspot. They say it will but I wonder how good.

Never tried it.

amother
NeonYellow

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 1:15 pm
We found ours to be pretty delicate and we needed to replace it twice. Now our kids know that they may not carry it into any other place. (full disclosure: Naki Radio actually replaced the 1st two at no cost to us because they said our usage sounded reasonable).

amother
Aster

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 1:33 pm
We had it for about 2 years and really enjoyed it. A few months ago my daughter tripped over the wire and it fell onto the floor off the table and never worked again. I want to buy it again but I am concerned that they won’t be regularly working on the regular channels and would be focused on premium.

kenz

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 1:37 pm
I love mine. They do seem to focusing more and more on Premium and the Torah Anytime channel seems to have been replaced by specific podcasts when I much preferred having the variety they had previously without paying for premium, but other than that I recently logged into my account online and went through what they offer and there's still quite a bit available for free.

watergirl

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 1:47 pm
I do not like mine and now I feel there was a bit of a bait and switch. We've had ours for 2 years now. My main issues are:

- There is either no pause button, or mine does not work. There is no way to stop a story/shiur in the middle, which aggravates my kids and I to no end. It's not worth turning on if I cant stop when I need to.

- There are no shiurim given by women. Torah anytime has plenty of women on their site, why are they not included?

- The stations seem to come and go. My son loved Shazzak parsha and now it's gone.

- The sound quality is often horrible for the stories and shiurim, which I know is because they are recorded on the fly and not in studio. It's not professional and hard to understand.

(My general issue with kids stories (not just on the naki but this is on the kids stories on Naki also) is the rate (speed) and heavy accents the storytellers have. It is very hard to understand if you are not accustomed to it. It's very hard to understand them and if they would just slow down it would really help.)

aussie2

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 2:03 pm
watergirl- My kids are also frustrated by the fact that you can't pause.. really when you turn on a channel it can be in the middle of a story etc. kind of the same as the radio.
There are a few channels like -gedolim stories which start from the beg. and you can pause.. I also found those stories are told slowly..

mommybrr

Post Sun, Dec 25 2022, 9:40 am
watergirl wrote:
I do not like mine and now I feel there was a bit of a bait and switch. We've had ours for 2 years now. My main issues are:

- There is either no pause button, or mine does not work. There is no way to stop a story/shiur in the middle, which aggravates my kids and I to no end. It's not worth turning on if I cant stop when I need to.

- There are no shiurim given by women. Torah anytime has plenty of women on their site, why are they not included?

- The stations seem to come and go. My son loved Shazzak parsha and now it's gone.

- The sound quality is often horrible for the stories and shiurim, which I know is because they are recorded on the fly and not in studio. It's not professional and hard to understand.

(My general issue with kids stories (not just on the naki but this is on the kids stories on Naki also) is the rate (speed) and heavy accents the storytellers have. It is very hard to understand if you are not accustomed to it. It's very hard to understand them and if they would just slow down it would really help.)

Bumping this up...
Can anyone let us know if there is any improvement on these issues? Mine broke a yr ago and kids are begging for a new one but I would only get it if they improved since the original Naki came out.

amother
Aconite

Post Sun, Dec 25 2022, 9:47 am
mommybrr wrote:
Bumping this up...
Can anyone let us know if there is any improvement on these issues? Mine broke a yr ago and kids are begging for a new one but I would only get it if they improved since the original Naki came out.

I have mine for 4 years. We use it daily. I do pay for premium so my kids have lots of options of what to listen to.
I have the original double speaker and we love it. I do keep it plugged into my speaker system at my house so it doesn't move ever.

amother
Lemon

Post Sun, Dec 25 2022, 10:20 am
I believe the current models all have the pause function

amother
Mint

Post Sun, Dec 25 2022, 10:26 am
My kids like it, no premium. They do listen to their favorites again, though.

But they’re always excited when there’s a new story, and somehow know how to find them.

There is a pause button and technically you can fast forward a story, but I think there are even more accessible features for premium- like saving your favorite stories/ songs on a playlist etc. (we tried it for 1 month)

amother
Brickred

Post Sun, Dec 25 2022, 10:30 am
amother Mint wrote:
My kids like it, no premium. They do listen to their favorites again, though.

But they’re always excited when there’s a new story, and somehow know how to find them.

There is a pause button and technically you can fast forward a story, but I think there are even more accessible features for premium- like saving your favorite stories/ songs on a playlist etc. (we tried it for 1 month)

I have the naki for a couple of years but rarely use it and I am so confused by the channels. My kids love stories but I don’t know where to find them. There are so many options and I find it confusing. What are your favorites?

amother
NeonYellow

Post Sun, Dec 25 2022, 10:33 am
We recently upgraded to premium and it has been great.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics