Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Sephardic Food
Zhug

Amital

Post Thu, Jun 05 2008, 2:59 am
Zhug is a really spicy, strong flavored Yemenite hot sauce. My husband loves it with pretty much everything, but especially hummus and challah. (I don't remember where I got this recipe--years ago--but the measurements are approximate.)

Zhug

1 lb serrano peppers
5 whole heads garlic
1 C/1 bunch cilantro
2t crushed red pepper
1/2 t cumin
1/2 t salt, or to taste

Check greens, peel garlic, and cut tops off peppers. Process peppers, garlic, and cilantro until texture you like, we do to semi smooth paste. Add in remaining ingredients, stir. Store in container topped with olive oil.

Mouth and eye-wateringly good! Very Happy

NotInNJMommy

Post Thu, Jun 05 2008, 3:39 am
Is this the same as "Schug" that Sabra (an american company) makes? They have both green and red. I have a bottle of red and I love it with chummus.....

Cool to know how to make from scratch!

Amital

Post Thu, Jun 05 2008, 3:45 am
I think so. I've served that along with the Sabra hummus, and we like it. But my husband prefers the fresh homemade stuff. I get extra "points" for that. Wink

It's interesting that it comes in red and green. The one I posted would be green because serrano peppers are usually green. I guess using a different kind of pepper would make it different colors and flavors. Is the predominant taste of the one you are talking about peppers? Just curious!

Tamiri

Post Thu, Jun 05 2008, 3:50 am
The green comes from corriander/parsley which is part of the schug.
Original schug has cloves in it too.

Amital

Post Thu, Jun 05 2008, 4:06 am
I've made it with cloves, too. Mmmm... Although DH prefers without.

I've also made it with dried coriander, which is not so green (much better with fresh btw), and it's still green, so that's why I think the green in my recipe at least is from the peppers. But would a red version not have cilantro or parsley? Or maybe added tomato or something else?

NotInNJMommy

Post Thu, Jun 05 2008, 5:05 am
I'm nto at home now, I'll have to check the ingredients when I get home.

there are lots of seeds (pepper seeds). and "red" but not sure all what the red is.

ruth

Post Thu, Jun 12 2008, 12:13 am
we don't put cumin in it == this is used for harissa (which also has some caraway seed and oil)

we do put some zipporin (cloves) and hel (cardomon) and some black pepper but only about 1/2 teaspoon of each for the proportions stated above.

I have a red version without the cilantro

we sometimes mix the two.

I thnk I already posted a hilbeh recipe. But I would like to compare with others... should start a new thread for that though

NotInNJMommy

Post Thu, Jun 12 2008, 8:26 am
the red schug has "hot chili peppers" and "peppers" listed as the first 2 ingredients (Sabra brand). Apparently, red in color.

Tamiri

Post Thu, Jun 12 2008, 8:31 am
ruth wrote:
we don't put cumin in it == this is used for harissa (which also has some caraway seed and oil)

we do put some zipporin (cloves) and hel (cardomon) and some black pepper but only about 1/2 teaspoon of each for the proportions stated above.

I have a red version without the cilantro

we sometimes mix the two.

I thnk I already posted a hilbeh recipe. But I would like to compare with others... should start a new thread for that though

Can you make frothy hilbeh without "karaat"? A Taymaniya friend said it's essential. I have not had luck frothing hilbeh without it.

In the kitchen

Post Thu, Jun 12 2008, 8:33 am
I put a spoon of schug in my cholent....yuuummmm

Amital

Post Thu, Jun 12 2008, 9:42 am
I put a spoonful of zhug in lots of things. For Shavuot we had gazpacho, and that tastes pretty good with zhug, too. Smile

Any other recpies out there for it? I always love to try different versions.

sleepyhead

Post Sun, Jul 20 2008, 5:00 pm
Sorry to sound ignorant, but what are serrano peppers? Where do I get them? I would like to make this for my father for shabbos - he loves spiced foods!

Amital

Post Wed, Aug 24 2011, 6:36 am
Serrano peppers are a little more spicy than jalepeno peppers. They are long, slender, and bright green. You can see a picture here.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics