Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Deleted

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 27 2022, 2:14 pm
Deleted

Word to the wise, before you give a deposit, know exactly what youre getting, down to every detail.

amother
Bluebell

Post Tue, Dec 27 2022, 2:31 pm
If the contract that you signed says non refundable it’s non refundable . Did he tell you the brand before you signed ? Hate to say it but you probably should have done your research then .

amother
Turquoise

Post Tue, Dec 27 2022, 2:32 pm
I would ask a Rav.

amother
Slategray

Post Tue, Dec 27 2022, 2:39 pm
I'm so OP that this happened but he has no obligation to refund your deposit. His only obligation is too use that money towards a purchase, if you choose to make one.

Rubber Ducky

Post Tue, Dec 27 2022, 2:44 pm
Did he put in a lot of work? Measuring? Drawing up plans? Revisions? I charge for plans even when I do not end up selling the cabinets.

Also, be aware that
1) Price really does follow quality, and
2) Prices in cabinets have gone up significantly. It's possible that his better lines have seen recent price increases.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 27 2022, 2:49 pm
Deleted

amother
Jetblack

Post Tue, Dec 27 2022, 2:53 pm
I'm sorry op, I know how hard this is. For you it's a once in many years, very expensive purchase. But for him this is probably a conversation he has constantly with customers who change their minds for various reasons. If he would be "menshlich" to all of them he would lose a lot of time and money.

I would assume that his good reputation is well deserved, but he still has to protect himself. People who don't work in service industries very often have no understanding of why companies need to have such strict policies. Believe me, he's not trying to take advantage of you.

amother
Lotus

Post Tue, Dec 27 2022, 3:05 pm
You signed a contract, a deposit is usually non refundable. It's annoying but that's why people usually do the research before they give a deposit. I'm going to assume he spent time with you planning out the kitchen why should he give you back the money because you changed your mind? If you are really not happy use someone else and realize he really didn't do anything wrong.

amother
Quince

Post Tue, Dec 27 2022, 3:19 pm
amother OP wrote:
I banked on his reputation. But Im pretty sure he has other unhappy customers that Im not aware of.

Theres legal and theres mentchlich. I made the BIG mistake of not researching brands before giving the deposit. I stupidly assumed he only uses one amazing company for all his kitchens or he only uses the best companies.

After this I cant deal with him.

You made the BIG mistake OP, as you wrote. You could consult a rov, but really, you signed a contract without doing more research. Where exactly the contractor is not being mentchlich?
If you don't want to deal with him, swallow your loss and learn for next time.

amother
Clematis

Post Tue, Dec 27 2022, 3:27 pm
The loss is on you op, I'm so sorry.
Unless you just go and get the 20k kitchen that you commited to originally.

amother
Seashell

Post Tue, Dec 27 2022, 3:40 pm
amother OP wrote:
I banked on his reputation. But Im pretty sure he has other unhappy customers that Im not aware of.

Theres legal and theres mentchlich. I made the BIG mistake of not researching brands before giving the deposit. I stupidly assumed he only uses one amazing company for all his kitchens or he only uses the best companies.

After this I cant deal with him.

This situation is exactly the reason why stores charge deposits.

People don't research products properly and suddenly after a company already maybe put down their own deposit to begin creating or purchasing your item from a manufacturer you change your mind and they are left holding the bag with a loss of time and money. Even if he hasn't ordered anything this is the nature of signing and giving your deposit.

There's absolutely no reason for anyone including a 'mentsch' to have to return someone's deposit because the person did not do the proper research before they signed a contract.

ETA: even during covid, a family member had put down a deposit on a hall way before and then they were not able to make their simcha there because the hall was not opening.
The hall consulted with a Rav, as they literally did not have the cash to return deposits from months before and they were told that they do not have to return the deposits but should offer everyone to switch to a different night at any point in the future. They actually ended up using the hall just a month or two ago...

amother
Butterscotch

Post Tue, Dec 27 2022, 3:45 pm
What's the point in deleting? Its very confusing..

nicole81

Post Tue, Dec 27 2022, 3:50 pm
Guessing you were expecting something better for 20k? I'm shocked you were able to get a basic decent kitchen for 20k.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics