Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Seminary Info
Ateres Seminary (EY) is closing down
Previous  1  2

amother
Watermelon

Post Sat, Nov 26 2022, 7:46 pm
seeker wrote:
I find that hard to believe in light of their previous setup - they're on record attributing their success to some bracha involving accepting people regardless of grades or something like that.

Maybe they meant their top level would be on par with BJJ?

Maybe that's why they feel the need to rebrand

amother
OP

Post Sat, Nov 26 2022, 9:23 pm
seeker wrote:
I find that hard to believe in light of their previous setup - they're on record attributing their success to some bracha involving accepting people regardless of grades or something like that.

Maybe they meant their top level would be on par with BJJ?

Don't know, maybe

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 08 2022, 1:03 pm
Anyone knows the contact information for the new Neimas seminary?

amother
Quince

Post Thu, Dec 08 2022, 1:46 pm
Mrs. Sokol was pretty clear at the ppen house that they are looking to be in the BJJ category, and that they won't be taking the same range of girls as in the past. She seems to be looking to recreate the same Ateres environment of openness and valuing the whole girl, but with top tier academics. She also said that there will be a real amount of work, but it won't be busy work, and they will make sure the girls can do it without calling home for help, plus always open dorms. So still a warm, real school, but for high academics.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 08 2022, 2:49 pm
amother Quince wrote:
Mrs. Sokol was pretty clear at the ppen house that they are looking to be in the BJJ category, and that they won't be taking the same range of girls as in the past. She seems to be looking to recreate the same Ateres environment of openness and valuing the whole girl, but with top tier academics. She also said that there will be a real amount of work, but it won't be busy work, and they will make sure the girls can do it without calling home for help, plus always open dorms. So still a warm, real school, but for high academics.

Thanks. One of major pluses of Ateres was their different academic levels, so no, they don't seem to want to recreate the same Ateres openness environment...

amother
Hotpink

Post Thu, Dec 08 2022, 2:53 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thanks. One of major pluses of Ateres was their different academic levels, so no, they don't seem to want to recreate the same Ateres openness environment...

What a shame that they don’t value Rav Pam’s advice to Rabbi Belsky any longer. As a former student who would not have been accepted under these new standards, I’m kind of at a loss for words.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 08 2022, 3:01 pm
amother Hotpink wrote:
What a shame that they don’t value Rav Pam’s advice to Rabbi Belsky any longer. As a former student who would not have been accepted under these new standards, I’m kind of at a loss for words.

Yup, extremely sad. It was their huge mailah and so many not A+, quality, wonderful girls benefitted.

amother
Lilac

Post Thu, Dec 08 2022, 3:57 pm
Quote:
He is on dialysis. I think he was also in the hospital recently, or still is. My daughter was in sem last year, and she said they barely saw him.

my daughter was also there last year

Chayalle

Post Thu, Dec 08 2022, 4:10 pm
amother Quince wrote:

A good friend of mine's mother - who is a very smart woman and in chinuch - once told me that in order to be successful, people model on other successes. BJJ is I believe the oldest BY seminary in EY, and it has been very successful. So seminaries that open and want to be successful say they are going to be like BJJ.

I remember this about another seminary that opened quite a few years ago, they said they were going to be like another BJJ. They are not.

So even if they said this at the interview, I wonder how this will play out. How much is another BJJ-type seminary needed? Is there a niche for this? Are they going to get the girls they are seeking? (and interestingly, they are opening the same year as Machon Sarah, which will also be a high-academics but open-minded type of seminary, so will they both attract those girls and fill up?) Because the direction a seminary will take depends very much on the demand meeting their supply.....

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 25 2022, 3:40 pm
Just heard today that Ateres is staying, but Neimas is still opening.
Rumors? Anyone heard it?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 26 2022, 4:47 pm
Anyone else heard this?

amother
Hotpink

Post Mon, Dec 26 2022, 5:14 pm
amother OP wrote:
Anyone else heard this?

I did. That Mrs Sokol is opening Neimas, and Mrs Maryles and Mrs Biala are staying with Ateres. And I heard that Rabbi Belsky approves.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 26 2022, 5:55 pm
Thanks!! That's encouraging to hear and a totally new twist.
Does that mean they'll only now be starting accepting the applications? Cause people applied to Neimas but not Ateres... And all BY applications are due tomorrow.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 26 2022, 8:15 pm
Also wonder what made them change their mind about closing Ateres?

amother
Cobalt

Post Tue, Dec 27 2022, 8:33 pm
Dd applied to neimas. What does it mean about this seminary now?

amother
Hotpink

Post Tue, Dec 27 2022, 8:39 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thanks!! That's encouraging to hear and a totally new twist.
Does that mean they'll only now be starting accepting the applications? Cause people applied to Neimas but not Ateres... And all BY applications are due tomorrow.

I’ll be honest, I know only because my daughter went last year and they were talking about it on their chat. I would not know what to do if I was applying now.

amother
Quince

Post Tue, Dec 27 2022, 8:42 pm
Applications are due January 3rd, scanned and emailed. I was told there was a ton of demand for it, from both families and principals, so they decided to open. Because there isn't anywhere comparable.

amother
Cerulean

Post Tue, Dec 27 2022, 8:46 pm
I'm sure both will be great and full, there is a need for more seminaries.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 27 2022, 9:13 pm
amother Quince wrote:
Applications are due January 3rd, scanned and emailed. I was told there was a ton of demand for it, from both families and principals, so they decided to open. Because there isn't anywhere comparable.

Yes, my DD said the same thing today!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 27 2022, 9:14 pm
amother Cobalt wrote:
Dd applied to neimas. What does it mean about this seminary now?

My guess is that Neimas will proceed as planned
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Seminary Info