Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Therapy

PIP

Post Wed, Jun 11 2008, 6:14 pm
What are things that qualify an almost 3 year old for therapy? (Mostly speech or SEIT)
I ask because 2 of me daughters are selective mute, and one of them got denied therapy bc I guess they dont see it as an academic issue. As I apply my other daughter for therapy I want to find anything in her personality that I can put down that would qualify her, aside from her selective mutism. can anyone help me what WOULD qualilfy for services? In general shes a very very wild kid who cant sit still but then when it comes to crowds she shuts off completely and you would think shes an angel who doesnt make a peep.
What are things that qualify for services? I'd like to find anything in her personality that will help her get it! Thanks!

flowerpower

Post Wed, Jun 11 2008, 8:52 pm
I know that they usually approve kids with articulation issues in preschool for speech. For Seit it might be socially inappropriate and lack of peer interaction.

amother

Post Wed, Jun 11 2008, 9:10 pm
Will she speak to the evaluating therapist? My suggestion would be to take her to a large agency for her evaluation and do your best to maximize the shut down response that occurs out of the house. If the evaluatng therapist is getting nothing from her and you affirm that this is typical I don't see how they could deny her therapy. Not to sound like I am advocating being manipulative (I actually don't feel that this is manipulative) but don't go out of your way to "do the therapist's job" at the evaluation- I mean by suggesting the diagnoses of selective mutism for them and saying that she is talkative at home. If they see an apparently nonverbal child, non responsive, socially and pragmatically inappropriate (in that sense) etc, and you confirm that this is the case in general, then I would imagine that this would be a compelling argument for speech and special instruction. Don't play up her performance at home as being drastically different. Don't offer any extra info. If your dd is actually selectively mute, she deserves intervention because of course this can impact academically if it continues. And you can appeal your older dd's case as well if you want.

PIP

Post Wed, Jun 11 2008, 10:55 pm
Thanks amother, I am appealing her case now. (Such a pain!) I went to a neurologist who put in a recomendation for them for services, but after meeting the board of ed guy, I dont think he's gunna go for it... Will they really think its an academic issue?
As for not offering any info, I learned that the hard way Sad my daughter lost out on this whole year because I evaluated her at home (with me and all her siblings) which helped her calm. What "bad points" will qualify as a "disability"?
THere is absolutely NO WAY she will even look at the evaluator and this time around I DO NOT plan on telling her that the evaluator is even coming. I told the morah to just leave my daughter and dont work on her to make her feel comfortable. I hope it works Sad I went thru it and still do, and I must say its a terrible feeling. Sad my heart goes out to them! My daughter who is trained for 2 years comes home soiled sometimes even in #2 because shes too shy to tell morah she has to go to the bathroom when they play outside! (there is a bathroom in their classroom so she doesnt have to ask to go, she just goes- outside is a whole diff story!!!) My kids NEED this therapy!

amother

Post Wed, Jun 11 2008, 11:27 pm
how frustrating and unfair... I work in EI where there is more support and advocacy offered for the family, I don't have that much insight into BOE matters. I would imagine that a strongly worded note from her teacher may be useful as well, in terms of describing her difficulties (for your older dd). With regards to your younger, a diagnosis of selective mutism cannot really be made on the spot, unless it is based on parental report. An evaluator who sees your dd in the school setting, and gets very little verbal response, could not differentiate bt. a variety of language based, or social emotional issues on the spot. So if the teacher will provide little outside of "she seems to have trouble finding her words, she cannot verbalize her needs, she interacts very little with the other children, etc." there's no way an evaluator could say "oh, must be selective mutism, which we (apparently) do not feel is a BOE issue." Rather, I would imagine that this would result in a report describing a child with language issues and qualify her for services. (I hope).... I'm sorry that this can't be made easier for you....

amother

Post Wed, Jun 11 2008, 11:36 pm
Selective mutism is a uniquely challenging childhood communication disorder that demands a coordinated treatment approach. Speech-language pathologists are in an excellent position to coordinate intervention among family, classroom teachers, and other clinicians.

Selective mutism is typically a symptom of an anxiety disorder, requiring treatment in conjunction with mental health professionals. The full impact of the disorder is not usually manifested until the child starts school, and therefore the classroom is frequently where the difficulties are most seriously experienced. Thus, the teacher is often the focal point of the child’s most intense symptoms. Because the child usually feels most safe and relaxed at home, practice of good communication skills can be facilitated through the parents. An SLP is the communication expert who is present in the school, whereas the mental health clinician is usually not in the school on a regular basis. The SLP, with knowledge and skills in effective communication treatments, can assume leadership to coordinate an integrated approach for the child among the school staff. Effective treatment of selective mutism requires a highly refined and consistent response among all significant adults around the child. The treatment team consists of at least five members: the child, the parents, the teacher, the psychotherapist, and the SLP.

This is from the ASHA website (American Speech Language Hearing Association). They are the licencing and governing org. over all issues in the field, from political lobbying to research related, etc. Perhaps do some of your own research and bring copies of this type of info to your appeal.

A.D.A.P.T.

Post Thu, Jun 12 2008, 12:08 pm
The IDEA (Individuals with Disabilities Education Act) applies to children between the ages of 3 and 21, who meet the eligibility criteria in one of thirteen qualifying disabilities and who require special education services because of the disability. The categories of disabilities are; autism, deaf/blind, deafness, hearing impaired, mental retardation, multiple disabilities, orthopedic impairment, serious emotional disturbance, specific learning disabilities, speech or language impairment, traumatic brain injury, visual impairment including blindness, and other health impairment.

To be eligible, a student must have a disability that adversely affects her or his educational performance and must need special education in order to receive an appropriate education

The IDEA does not only address children with academic issues, behavioral and other issues are included as well. Many times the BOE tries to say that it is not an academic issue and that they are not responsible, but if the condition affects the child’s ability to learn they must provide the service. You should get documentation from the teachers stating that your child's ability to learn is affected, or make sure that they can be reached during your BOE meeting by telephone to confirm this.

More detailed information that is specific to selective mutism can be found here

To receive services, your child must receive a category of disability. The website suggests that you use the “Other Health Impairment” category, you might also consider a speech or language impairment if it is applicable instead. You will need documentation from a doctor clearly stating the disability, the BOE does not look well on letters that just suggest the condition – it must be clearly written.

If you do not like how your BOE meeting is going, you do not have to agree. Tell them that you want to pursue the matter further, you should write a letter right there at the meeting stating your intent. The next step after the meeting is mediation, where a 3rd party mediator works with you and the BOE to reach a compromise. There is no cost for this, but you will have wait until it is scheduled. If you still can’t reach a resolution, the next step after that is an impartial hearing where you will need an educational lawyer or advocate.

You mentioned that your child is almost three. At three they age out of Early Intervention so make sure that you are fighting in the right place. If the decision will expire at age three, find out where you need to make your case. You may have to wait until that meeting to get services, unless they will agree to accept the recommendations.

Hatzlacha!

PIP

Post Thu, Jun 12 2008, 2:06 pm
Thank you everyone!
ADAPT. Thant link is soo accurate! One of the first sentences said the reason why kids with SM dont receive services is bc adults dont know enough about it. SO true! All the BOE kept telling me was "oh, shes just shy shell grow out of it' . He's WRONG!!! (Im living proof of that!) People dont realize it's genetic and its a real issue!
I took them both to a neurologist and got them both "diagnosed". So I called Omni and gave them the docs report and he is pursuing the case for me (for my almost 4 year old) As for my other daughter, I want her to get services for when she turns three so I hope Im doing the right thing. (Onmi is giving me the steps) A psychologist is coming to school on Tues B"H to observe her and try to interact with her. I called her morahs and gave them a heads up, I hope they pull through. I pretty much told them shes in another world when it comes to school. Doesnt open her mouth or even look at the other kids. I told them she needs to be coaxed by the morahs to come to circle time, and wont make any eye contact w\ anyone besides for her morah. She just sits and stares all day with her thumb in her mouth. I also threw in that she doesnt focus at home (like shell go to the bike then decide she wants to go to the slide then decide she wants to go back to the bike then decide she wants the slide all within 10 secs of each other) Happens to be that doesnt really bother me at all, but I hope itll help her get services. If I brought a parent advocate (is that what its called?) to the BOE meeting, would I have a better chance? How would I get one? I also have a recommendation from my older daughter's morah which was sent in.

one more ques, what is behavioral therapy exactly?

amother

Post Thu, Jun 12 2008, 8:27 pm
hi, amother here again, behavioral therapy is usually provided by a psychologist/social worker, or at times by a special educator. The term usually refers to play based therapy that is geared toward focusing in on the child's emotionally based issues and working through them in this manner.

amother

Post Thu, Jun 12 2008, 8:27 pm
hi, amother here again, behavioral therapy is usually provided by a psychologist/social worker, or at times by a special educator. The term usually refers to play based therapy that is geared toward focusing in on the child's emotionally based issues and working through them in this manner.

amother

Post Thu, Jun 12 2008, 8:28 pm
oops..
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers