Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Annual Dinner

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 29 2022, 7:37 am
Question:
If you are suffering financial difficulties and need to take financial aid to pay tuition, are you expected to go to a school annual dinner?

It's expensive, and would the tuition committee think that you do have money if you attend?

On the other hand, if you don't attend do they think you are not trying to do your part?

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Thu, Dec 29 2022, 7:42 am
do what you want
and makes sense for you

Chayalle

Post Thu, Dec 29 2022, 7:43 am
I find different schools have different takes.

DD's elementary school - you show up to the annual dinner, regardless if you paid the fee, or you paid a discounted amount, they tell you outright we want every parent to show up.

DD's high school - the dinner fee is mandatory, non-negotiable, regardless if you are getting tuition breaks. (So for example, if full tuition is 10K, and you are paying 8K, and the dinner fee is $500, your real tuition cost is $8500.) And you are expected to show up.

Generally speaking, schools want a show of their parents at the dinner. It's not about being able to afford or not. It's about a show of support for your child's school.
Payment is dependent on the school culture.

mha3484

Post Thu, Dec 29 2022, 7:43 am
Each school has its own culture so its hard to say without knowing what kind of school you send to.

My kids school everyone even if on the most reduced tuition has a give/get requirement so going to the dinner counts towards that. They want to see parents there. They have even offered reduced tickets to parents to encourage them to come. Last year they did a online fundraiser and then the dinner a few weeks later was free they didnt ask if you gave or not and they had 1000 people. Its a big chizuk for the school when the parents come. But im sure other schools are not like mine.

amother
DarkCyan

Post Thu, Dec 29 2022, 7:45 am
My school asks that you discuss it with them. They wanted a high turnout and gave us free seats. Each school is different.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 29 2022, 7:46 am
To put into context, this is a MO school and the ticket is $200. Not sure what to do!

amother
Lemonlime

Post Thu, Dec 29 2022, 8:11 am
In my kids school you have an obligation to bring in $X in ads, and that sum gets you two Tix. If you don't get ads from others you give the money yourself. I hate these kinds of affairs and never go. I always tell the school to give my Tix to someone else, either some friend of my mom's who don't have kids in the school but want to attend or friends of ours who want to bring some of their kids. Some people enjoy these kinds of affairs. Better them than me.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 29 2022, 9:31 am
Dh thinks if we go it will look like we can pay for more tuition. I think it looks bad if we don't go... Don't know what to do ...

zaq

Post Thu, Dec 29 2022, 9:52 am
Talk to the school administration. They may value the warm bodies and let you attend even if you can't afford the tickets. Do you even want to go?

mha3484

Post Thu, Dec 29 2022, 9:54 am
If you can swing a ticket for one of you you can compromise and one of you goes. Ours are separate seating so I sit with my friends anyway. DH does not enjoy so he stays home and saves on the baby sitter. Maybe its more awkward when the seating is mixed to go alone.

amother
Fern

Post Thu, Dec 29 2022, 3:48 pm
At our kids’ school dinner fee is included in the tuition bundle and by the date of the dinner every parent is encouraged to attend, no additional fees necessary. Of course to place an ad there’s a fee.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 29 2022, 4:06 pm
OP here. Thanks for all responses! We decided one of us goes and the other stays, that way we don't have to pay a babysitter and at least one of us shows up.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette