Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Price for homemade sourdough bread
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Sat, Dec 31 2022, 8:29 pm
What is an appropriate price for a large homemade sourdough bread? I’ve been baking for a while and gift breads occasionally. I’ve been asked if I would sell them.
If you sell homemade sourdough bread how much do you charge?
If you buy sourdough from others, how much do you pay?
Thank you!

babygirl

Post Sat, Dec 31 2022, 8:35 pm
I was paying 14-16 in Lakewood

amother
Steel

Post Sat, Dec 31 2022, 8:35 pm
Here in Monsey, the going price is around $18.
Genuine sourdough is a ton of work. It needs to be worth it for you to sell.

Sebastian

Post Sat, Dec 31 2022, 8:39 pm
I think around 15

amother
Moccasin

Post Sat, Dec 31 2022, 8:46 pm
The local Brooklyn bakeries sell them from 9-15
Homemade similar like 10-16

amother
Honeysuckle

Post Sat, Dec 31 2022, 8:47 pm
I would do 12-14/15. Based on store prices in the five towns and no hashgacha. May depend on the neighborhood.

amother
Steel

Post Sat, Dec 31 2022, 8:47 pm
amother Honeysuckle wrote:
I would do 12-14/15. Based on store prices and no hashgacha.

Stores sourdough is not really genuine made from scratch. They do use yeast.

amother
Wandflower

Post Sat, Dec 31 2022, 8:48 pm
I bought for $15

amother
Stoneblue

Post Sat, Dec 31 2022, 8:53 pm
I would charge 20 but I use organic spelt flour

amother
Honeysuckle

Not all the stores. Some do not in the five towns

amother
Quince

amother Steel wrote:

Wow. Homegrown Kosher in Monsey sells it for $13 (through her website, not sure how much the stores charge to resell) so I guess she is really cheap. And hers is authentic sourdough. I wonder why Evergreen stopped selling it.

amother
Steel

Post Sat, Dec 31 2022, 9:00 pm
amother Quince wrote:
Wow. Homegrown Kosher in Monsey sells it for $13 (through her website, not sure how much the stores charge to resell) so I guess she is really cheap. And hers is authentic sourdough. I wonder why Evergreen stopped selling it.

A hechsher makes it more expensive.
They stopped selling at Evergreen afaik. I think they're stopping to sell weekly and is switching to monthly.

amother
Leaf

Post Sat, Dec 31 2022, 9:40 pm
In Lakewood I paid 15-17
Eta for spelt

amother
Quince

Post Sat, Dec 31 2022, 9:44 pm
amother Steel wrote:
A hechsher makes it more expensive.
They stopped selling at Evergreen afaik. I think they're stopping to sell weekly and is switching to monthly.

Homegrown Kosher is doing a live now on instagram and said she has hashgacha. Her page shows that she has hashgacha so she is cheap even with hashgacha-- https://homegrownkosher.com/
She also said that evergreen decided to only sell their own sourdough but didnt say why.

amother
PlumPink

Post Sat, Dec 31 2022, 9:44 pm
amother Steel wrote:

Abe's in Monsey is 10$ AFAIK and I believe it is also authentic sourdough. It is sooo good!
They sell it at Wesley but also home deliver.

I haven't bought it in a while since 10$ is still a splurge for me now....

ETA: it also has a hechsher as far as I know...

amother
Papayawhip

Post Sun, Jan 01 2023, 4:14 am
I'm in the UK and a very large round authentic sourdough bread (from the local top hechsher) at my local bakery costs $7.50. This is the increased price since a month ago.
They also sell non authentic sourdough bread for cheaper.

amother
Papayawhip

Post Sun, Jan 01 2023, 4:21 am
amother Quince wrote:
Homegrown Kosher is doing a live now on instagram and said she has hashgacha. Her page shows that she has hashgacha so she is cheap even with hashgacha-- https://homegrownkosher.com/
She also said that evergreen decided to only sell their own sourdough but didnt say why.

That must be a serious loss in income for Ahuva. Instead of weekly baking it's now down to only 1 or 2x a month.

May Hashem send her an abundance of customers.

Rachel Shira

Post Sun, Jan 01 2023, 4:36 am
amother Papayawhip wrote:
That must be a serious loss in income for Ahuva. Instead of weekly baking it's now down to only 1 or 2x a month.

May Hashem send her an abundance of customers.

From what I understand she decided herself to cut down on the amount of baking for stores.
She’s on imamother (I found her Instagram through here) so maybe she’ll see this.

alef12

Post Sun, Jan 01 2023, 6:08 am
Hi!
Ok. I'm Homegrown Kosher.

First of all, OP, pricing home baked sourdough is complicated and not a matter of just pulling an amount out of the proverbial hat. You need to make some calculations regarding your time, ingredients and other costs. This is one of the (many!) things I do, consultating for microbakeries and those who are considering moving into selling baked goods, including sourdough. You're welcome to contact me through my website if you need some help doing that as I'm limited in how much I can help here.

What I can say, and this applies generally throughout the "selling home baked goods" world, is that many people aren't making much money at all. One of my clients was making about $3 an hour when you calculated her time (she changed the products she was selling and streamlined her process. Still not getting rich but making more now). One was making about $6 an hour but wanted to work towards baking more efficiently. With some investment in equipment that was possible. The beginning was about growing her business and building her customer base.

Now, to settle rumors.
Zishe's, the bakery at Evergreen, informed me a few weeks ago that as of January 1 they only wished to carry their own products. It was a business decision they made for their own business and I am not privy to the why.

My loaves were selling very well there so this definitely didn't originate on my end. That said, once I was moving back towards mostly selling on my website only I decided to make some changes. (I do also sell at Welsey Kosher but was selling most of my product at Evergreen and my customers had gotten used to buying there.)

After some soul searching I made the decision to take this as an opportunity to restructure to once monthly baking so I have more time to do consulting, demos, events, workshops, recipe development etc... I had been turning down this type of work because there was only so much I could handle. Yes, change is scary. Yes, it's a sudden reduction in income. But parnasa comes from Hashem. The night before I announced the change someone contacted me to hire me to consult for their transition into setting up a small bakery and I was able to say yes, not push her off 3 months like I would have had to in the past. I took this as a sign directly from Hashem that I was moving in the right direction.

Back to pricing. Do I believe $20 a loaf is market value. No I do not. But understand that given the time that goes into making them the people selling them aren't getting rich. Especially if they are baking a few at a time in their home kitchens. (Which isn't cost efficient at all)

cupcake123

Post Sun, Jan 01 2023, 10:55 am
alef12 wrote:
Hi!
Ok. I'm Homegrown Kosher.

First of all, OP, pricing home baked sourdough is complicated and not a matter of just pulling an amount out of the proverbial hat. You need to make some calculations regarding your time, ingredients and other costs. This is one of the (many!) things I do, consultating for microbakeries and those who are considering moving into selling baked goods, including sourdough. You're welcome to contact me through my website if you need some help doing that as I'm limited in how much I can help here.

What I can say, and this applies generally throughout the "selling home baked goods" world, is that many people aren't making much money at all. One of my clients was making about $3 an hour when you calculated her time (she changed the products she was selling and streamlined her process. Still not getting rich but making more now). One was making about $6 an hour but wanted to work towards baking more efficiently. With some investment in equipment that was possible. The beginning was about growing her business and building her customer base.

Now, to settle rumors.
Zishe's, the bakery at Evergreen, informed me a few weeks ago that as of January 1 they only wished to carry their own products. It was a business decision they made for their own business and I am not privy to the why.

My loaves were selling very well there so this definitely didn't originate on my end. That said, once I was moving back towards mostly selling on my website only I decided to make some changes. (I do also sell at Welsey Kosher but was selling most of my product at Evergreen and my customers had gotten used to buying there.)

After some soul searching I made the decision to take this as an opportunity to restructure to once monthly baking so I have more time to do consulting, demos, events, workshops, recipe development etc... I had been turning down this type of work because there was only so much I could handle. Yes, change is scary. Yes, it's a sudden reduction in income. But parnasa comes from Hashem. The night before I announced the change someone contacted me to hire me to consult for their transition into setting up a small bakery and I was able to say yes, not push her off 3 months like I would have had to in the past. I took this as a sign directly from Hashem that I was moving in the right direction.

Back to pricing. Do I believe $20 a loaf is market value. No I do not. But understand that given the time that goes into making them the people selling them aren't getting rich. Especially if they are baking a few at a time in their home kitchens. (Which isn't cost efficient at all)

This was so interesting to read ! I've dabbled with making sourdough at home (not as a business just hobby) and when my loaf finally came out I wouldn't have sold it for less then $50 😅 and I said now I understand why sourdough is expensive !
Is there anyway to get your loaves in Lakewood? I've been looking for authentic sourdough loaf in Lakewood and they all seem like they have yeast in it.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics