Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Newbie- how to make gefilte fish
Previous  1  2

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 27 2022, 8:16 pm
Ah ok. Thanks for the clarification!

My next question is- when the GF is done, do I just remove it from the pot and place it into a pan and let it cool off?

amother
Currant

Post Thu, Oct 27 2022, 8:51 pm
amother OP wrote:
Ah ok. Thanks for the clarification!

My next question is- when the GF is done, do I just remove it from the pot and place it into a pan and let it cool off?

You need to remove the paper right away while the fish hot. Otherwise, it sticks to the fish.

healthminded

Post Thu, Oct 27 2022, 8:58 pm
I season on the water, then put it in the oven!
Much easier then a pot

Ema of 5

Post Fri, Oct 28 2022, 3:48 am
amother OP wrote:
So it's bubbling and more of a higher flame?

Yea, not a barely on flame. And thank you for the reminder that I need to make fish today!! 😂

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 10 2022, 7:50 am
Thanks for everyone's help!
By it came out good that week and following the instructions here...

yachnabobba

Post Thu, Dec 01 2022, 2:46 pm
Easy shmeezy:
1 disposable 9x13
3 onions quartered
Three quarters of cup of sugar
One table spoon of salt
One teaspoon of black pepper
One peeled carrot
Put in loaf of Gefilte
Add water 1/3 of the way up the pan
Cover tightly
Bake on 350 till carrot looks soft approximately two hours

frumarochel

Post Tue, Jan 03 2023, 10:57 am
amother OP wrote:
I think I'm confused
What exactly is simmer?

Great question to ask!

You turn up the heat when boiling water or beginning chicken soup so it will reach the heat you want as quickly as possible. When you get the temperature you need you turn down the heat to maintain it. Simmer means tiny, ginger ale sized bubbles drifting up to the surface of the liquid. The surface of the water is barely disturbed. A rolling boil means large bubbles make the surface as disturbed as a churning ocean. There are stages in between also.

Sometimes this calls for placing the cover half on the pot or 3/4 on: whatever keeps it at the temp you need.

Then my husband comes by when I'm not noticing and he puts the cover neatly down, the whole things boils and my food becomes tough rather than tender! I love him!!

amother
Pistachio

Post Tue, Jan 03 2023, 11:00 am
for those that make gefilte fish, is this something you grew up with? do you enjoy the taste of it or you make it bc its more traditional?

amother
Pansy

Post Tue, Jan 03 2023, 11:01 am
amother Pistachio wrote:
for those that make gefilte fish, is this something you grew up with? do you enjoy the taste of it or you make it bc its more traditional?

It’s … shabbos

amother
Forsythia

Post Tue, Jan 03 2023, 11:02 am
seeker wrote:
Simmer for 1.5 hours means it should be bubbling for that long. So if you put the fish in before boiling the water, then don't start timing it until the water starts bubbling. Doesn't matter if you put the fish in before or after boiling the water.

As for seasoning I usually just shake in some salt and pepper, I'm not sure it makes much difference because the fish has its own flavoring and the water gets poured out. But I do it because my mother did Smile

Why salt?

amother
Pistachio

Post Tue, Jan 03 2023, 11:03 am
amother Pansy wrote:
It’s … shabbos

not for me it aint lol

first time I had GF was in sem. maybe its an acquired taste like you need to grow up with it
(im also syrian)
maybe I wasnt used to the texture or flavor. maybe ill try to make it this week

amother
Pansy

Post Tue, Jan 03 2023, 11:04 am
Op’s probably been making Gefilte fish for 3 months already…it’s an old thread

amother
Clover

Post Tue, Jan 03 2023, 1:23 pm
I put in a small loaf tin, load salsa of choice on top, cover with foil and bake. (Take off paper before placing it in pan.)

It is so delicious. It’s savory and amazing, less fishy than boiled in a pot.

If it’s defrosted, bake for like 1.5 hrs on 400. If frozen, bake on 400 for like 3+ hours.

amother
Pansy

Post Tue, Jan 03 2023, 1:27 pm
amother Pistachio wrote:
not for me it aint lol

first time I had GF was in sem. maybe its an acquired taste like you need to grow up with it
(im also syrian)
maybe I wasnt used to the texture or flavor. maybe ill try to make it this week

Most people aren’t Syrian
I don’t think people love Gefilte fish like most people love chocolate cake… it’s just something we eat on shabbos and it enhances our first course

mha3484

Post Tue, Jan 03 2023, 1:28 pm
I used to hate it until I learned to bake it from defrosted in a loaf pan until its really dry. Sometimes I fry it like a big latke.

amother
Pistachio

Post Tue, Jan 03 2023, 2:13 pm
amother Pansy wrote:
Most people aren’t Syrian
I don’t think people love Gefilte fish like most people love chocolate cake… it’s just something we eat on shabbos and it enhances our first course

Interesting statement to make. I wouldnt say "most people arent syrian" just like I wouldnt say "most people arent ashkenaz" or "most people arent sefardi" ... unless this website is especially skewed to ashkenazim

How do the flavors of GF enhance shabbos? or is it more the association of it being a very shabbosdik food enhancing your shabbos seuda?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 03 2023, 3:29 pm
amother Pansy wrote:
Op’s probably been making Gefilte fish for 3 months already…it’s an old thread

LoL. Yup!

Thanks for everyone's help!

One tip that I realized is to remove the paper when it's done in the pan and leave the GF out to cool opened since in case it's a tad mushy, it dries it out and makes it more firm.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen