Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Salary for medical field
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 03 2023, 5:04 pm
If you work as an RN, PA, or NP. Can you please share your approximate salary? And how much to expect as a new graduate? And how long you are working. Thanks.

mha3484

Post Tue, Jan 03 2023, 5:07 pm
You should be more specific as to location. I find nurses jobs in the Midwest and I know the pay here very well but it doesn't help you if you live in NY or California.

amother
Mulberry

Post Tue, Jan 03 2023, 5:11 pm
mha3484 wrote:
You should be more specific as to location. I find nurses jobs in the Midwest and I know the pay here very well but it doesn't help you if you live in NY or California.

The field you're in makes a huge difference too. Are you working inpatient or outpatient? Primary care or specialty? Peds or adult?

Anyway, OP, for general info you can check Glassdoor or salary.com. You can put in the state and specialty and get a salary range.

bruriyah

Post Tue, Jan 03 2023, 5:25 pm
I’m a resident physician. However, I have looked at a lot of published data on salaries in these fields. NPs/PAs generally make ~100K - 150K/year as W-2. CRNAs usually make 150k-180K.

For more accurate data broken down by field, look up MGMA medical compensation data for 2021. I will try to post screenshots.

mha3484

Post Tue, Jan 03 2023, 5:31 pm
Also depending on your state NP vs PA have very different career options and pay. Where I live, I find my customers prefer NPs over PAs. Some wont even hire a PA. PAs tend to work in limited settings like orthopedics, hospital medicine like ERs and urgent cares. Specialty offices here and there hire PAs like when I needed to see a hematologist the practice was two MDs and a PA. But my kids ped will not hire PAs only NPs. You dont want to limit yourself do a lot of research if your just looking into a career.

amother
Orange

Post Tue, Jan 03 2023, 5:59 pm
My sister is a dermatology PA for a big group chain. She's working for less than 2 years. She works full time and on Sundays. She started around 140k and just got a significant built in raise.

ETA in NY

bruriyah

Post Tue, Jan 03 2023, 6:01 pm
amother Orange wrote:
My sister is a dermatology PA for a big group chain. She's working for less than 2 years. She works full time and on Sundays. She started around 140k and just got a significant built in raise.

ETA in NY

Derm (and NY derm especially) is one of the higher-paying fields for PAs and those numbers sound accurate. Starting out though in a hospital/non-derm clinic would be closer to 100-120K.

amother
Tiffanyblue

Post Tue, Jan 03 2023, 6:25 pm
amother Orange wrote:

ETA in NY

She probably makes similar to what an actual internist or family practice MD makes.

amother
Crocus

Post Tue, Jan 03 2023, 6:39 pm
My husband is a pa in an urgent care in the tristate area.
The timing of his hours isn't convenient.
He works 30 hrs in office per week, and gets paid for 10 charting hrs per week.
He gets paid about 165k per year.

bruriyah

Post Tue, Jan 03 2023, 6:53 pm
amother Tiffanyblue wrote:
She probably makes similar to what an actual internist or family practice MD makes.

No, she doesn’t. Internists/family practice will start at least at 250K right after residency with a lot of potential upward of that. This is from data culled from thousands of MDs.

amother
Lightblue

Post Tue, Jan 03 2023, 7:15 pm
RN starting now in New York is 85-95 k hospital setting
I make 110-120 now as a RN 6 years experience in home care setting

amother
Clematis

Post Tue, Jan 03 2023, 7:15 pm
PA NYC 120k, hospital setting, right out of school.

amother
Lightblue

Post Tue, Jan 03 2023, 7:16 pm
My understand is np and pa in hospital start at about 120
Pa and np in urgent care usually pay highest over 150 but in beginning you really do not get training and your just thrown into it as new grad

amother
Holly

Post Tue, Jan 03 2023, 7:19 pm
How about RN or NP outpatient (dr's office) in NY/NJ?

greenteaorange

Post Tue, Jan 03 2023, 7:20 pm
amother Clematis wrote:
PA NYC 120k, hospital setting, right out of school.

How much does salary go up per year or within a few years? For pa /nphospital setting

amother
Cappuccino

Post Tue, Jan 03 2023, 7:27 pm
Hospital based NP in NJ- I’ve worked there for 2.5 years. I started at 105 and now make 110

greenteaorange

Post Tue, Jan 03 2023, 7:27 pm
amother Holly wrote:
How about RN or NP outpatient (dr's office) in NY/NJ?

RN in doctor office is known to be low pay but obviously very dependent on type of office, how big it is and if affiliated with a hospital (might be hospital pay if affiliated with hospital.
I would say 75-95 range
You can get better pay with home care or other non typical nursing fields like mds, intake, case management

amother
Dimgray

Post Tue, Jan 03 2023, 7:29 pm
RN in NYC, starting salary is around 100k in Brooklyn and up to 110k in Manhattan.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 03 2023, 7:37 pm
Thanks all for your replies! I’m interested specifically in NJ, or close to it.

amother
Rose

Post Tue, Jan 03 2023, 8:34 pm
peds primary care PA in NJ $145,000,33 hours per week
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics