Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Morah always taking off, any morahs here that could answer

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 04 2023, 5:03 am
My daughter is an assistant to a morah working in a preschool. There are about 10 3 yr olds.
My daughter watches two of the kids and hour after school ends by herself.
The morah takes off frequently and my daughter is there by herself.
Is it unreasonable for her to ask for more money for the days she is by herself and not work that last hour? The two kids are very wild and hard to control most days.
For reference we live in New York.

Rachel Shira

Post Wed, Jan 04 2023, 5:15 am
The days the morah isn’t there, your daughter is alone with 10 kids?
That’s not okay.

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Wed, Jan 04 2023, 5:15 am
I don't think she can not work the last hour because there are parents counting on her but she definitely should be compensated properly for the days that she is the main morah.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 04 2023, 6:51 am
Rachel Shira wrote:
The days the morah isn’t there, your daughter is alone with 10 kids?
That’s not okay.

Yes. They have a high school girl come in to help but they dont want to be there so they stay on their phone the whole day.

The two kids that my daughter watches are the principals kids.
The school said they wont compensate her the days the main morah isnt there because that is not what they agreed on at the beginning of the year. But my daughter didnt know the morah would be taking off so much.

amother
Bluebonnet

Post Wed, Jan 04 2023, 6:53 am
She's being taken advantage of, that's not right.
She should tell them that if she doesn't get paid accordingly, she will quit. It might scare them because it's almost impossible to find teachers.

amother
Marigold

Post Wed, Jan 04 2023, 6:54 am
Yes she should be compensated more on days she is alone. Doesn't matter if it wasn't mentioned, how should your daughter have known this will happen?

If the high school girl is not helpful she should tell the principal that.

amother
Obsidian

Post Wed, Jan 04 2023, 6:56 am
amother OP wrote:
Yes. They have a high school girl come in to help but they dont want to be there so they stay on their phone the whole day.

The school said they wont compensate her the days the main morah isnt there because that is not what they agreed on at the beginning of the year. But my daughter didnt know the morah would be taking off so much.

They also didn't say teacher is taking off all the time. She should tell them if teacher is not there she needs to be paid more or won't stay those days.

amother
Geranium

Post Wed, Jan 04 2023, 6:57 am
It sound like it’s a school and not a private playgroup. If it’s a school then whatever arrangement Morah has with has with the school is separate from your daughter I don’t think schools Especially Brooklyn is going to Give anything extra For more responsibilities( Been there done that ) but she should definitely Say there needs to be a second person in the room when Morah’s not there and the school needs to not let people use cell phones in the classroom. Years ago I was in the room with 20 kids by myself and the other class went out So I was the only adult in the building Did not appreciate that.

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Wed, Jan 04 2023, 6:57 am
amother OP wrote:

Doesn't sound like a wonderful place to work. I would start putting out feelers for a new job.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers