Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training
Should I put him back in diapers? Help

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 04 2023, 12:01 pm
My son has been toilet trained for 2 weeks. He goes to the bathroom to pee but refuses to make poop on the toilet and keeps pooping in his underwear. His playgroup morah is not happy and I totally understand. He also cries in the morning that he wants to put on a diaper and I have to bribe him to put on underwear. Should I put him back in diapers? šŸ˜©

bsy

Post Wed, Jan 04 2023, 12:03 pm
How old is he? If he's crying for diapers I would put him back in diapers.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 04 2023, 12:05 pm
bsy wrote:
How old is he? If he's crying for diapers I would put him back in diapers.

Almost 3. I feel like if I give in to his tantrums Iā€™m spoiling him. Heā€™s a very stubborn child in general

bsy

Post Wed, Jan 04 2023, 12:12 pm
Is he anxious about accidents? It can be very pressuring. I would consider stopping and starting again in a few months.

mazeltov613

Post Wed, Jan 04 2023, 12:12 pm
He is young. Sometimes patience with the process is whatā€™s needed. My son was ā€œpotty trainedā€ for months but would still wait until his nighttime diaper was on to do #2. Just be loving and supportive and eventually it will click. I also find mitzvah notes about ā€œlistening to their bodyā€ help reinforce the positive behavior your looking to increase!

amother
Dustypink

Post Wed, Jan 04 2023, 12:14 pm
Give him a pull up for poops but otherwise underwear.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 04 2023, 12:17 pm
amother Dustypink wrote:
Give him a pull up for poops but otherwise underwear.

How do I do that? I donā€™t know when heā€™s going to poop.

amother
Impatiens

Post Wed, Jan 04 2023, 12:20 pm
Talk to him. Buy him a prize for making in toilet or chocolate. Maybe put him to sleep in underwear and take him to bathroom once a night

BrisketBoss

Post Wed, Jan 04 2023, 12:21 pm
amother OP wrote:
Almost 3. I feel like if I give in to his tantrums Iā€™m spoiling him. Heā€™s a very stubborn child in general

You're not giving in, you're recognizing that he isn't ready. No big deal.

It's like saying you're spoiling a 13mo by not putting any pressure on them to start walking and just watching to see what develops.

amother
Ecru

Post Wed, Jan 04 2023, 12:55 pm
Put a pull up for school only because itā€™s not fair to the Morah. At home , keep him in underwear and work on training him further.

amother
Milk

Post Wed, Jan 04 2023, 12:59 pm
amother OP wrote:

I just had this. I put him back in a diapers for a few weeks and tried again, this time it worked bH

amother
Aquamarine

Post Wed, Jan 04 2023, 1:00 pm
amother OP wrote:
How do I do that? I donā€™t know when heā€™s going to poop.

Does he tell you? My son was toilet trained for #1 pretty quickly but asked for a diaper for #2. He always told us when he needed one. After a few months, I toilet trained him for #2 as well. It's perfectly normal for the 2 to be done separately.

amother
Lemonlime

Post Wed, Jan 04 2023, 1:44 pm
My son couldn't handle the pressure. It took him a month after being trained for urine to do #2 only in the toilet. Stress can do a number on the system.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 04 2023, 1:59 pm
amother Aquamarine wrote:
Does he tell you? My son was toilet trained for #1 pretty quickly but asked for a diaper for #2. He always told us when he needed one. After a few months, I toilet trained him for #2 as well. It's perfectly normal for the 2 to be done separately.

No he doesnā€™t want to tell me and holds it in until he can find a place to hide and then poops in his underwear when he knows Iā€™m not looking

BrisketBoss

Post Wed, Jan 04 2023, 2:03 pm
amother OP wrote:
No he doesnā€™t want to tell me and holds it in until he can find a place to hide and then poops in his underwear when he knows Iā€™m not looking

Hiding can indicate constipation

Holding behavior can lead to chronic constipation

To me this is a sign to return to diapers for health reasons.

Edited to add: Naturally your toddler is stubborn. Toddlers are programmed to resist adult agendas. That's why if something has to happen, it's up to us. For example, we make the decision whether the child will wear diapers or not.

But we can't move their bowels for them. Our efforts to exert control in such an area can cause harm.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Wed, Jan 04 2023, 10:45 pm
amother OP wrote:

Do you think if you proactively tell him he can put on a diaper for #2 if he tells you he needs one, he would tell you? If so, that may be something to try before returning to diapers full-time.

amother
Whitewash

Post Wed, Jan 04 2023, 10:48 pm
I would put him in pull ups and show him you are putting his underwear in a special place to save for when he's ready.

I find that age very young for a boy. The poor kid is not comfortable. When he's really ready, it will be so much easier for you and him.

Listen to his needs.

amother
Navyblue

Post Wed, Jan 04 2023, 10:55 pm
Some kids are afraid of the toilet. Those little floor potties help my kids get over the fear. Theyā€™re annoying to clean out unless you get the bags. But shortly have using that we were able to switch to the toilet seats that have the steps attached.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training