Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Do you think you would really move there?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 05 2023, 10:00 am
I always question myself about this thought. Since I was young, I have always wanted to live out in the open farm areas. (I am crazy about Iowa, Nebraska, Minnesota). Now I know to live a true life of Yiddishkeit and raising a family would be really hard in those farmlands, but if I had a chance, would I really give up my life (kinda city life, schools, shuls, shopping) and live in a quiet area with lots and lots of open green areas, farms, cows. I still have this dream but maybe it will always stay a dream (which is ok also).Have you ever thought of going somewhere else but it will just be a dream?

amother
Seashell

Post Thu, Jan 05 2023, 10:09 am
What about living on a moshav in Israel? You can have (semi)rural living with all the Jewish amenities.

amother
Orange

Post Thu, Jan 05 2023, 10:11 am
Yes, I've wanted to live in various places that are just a dream... Sleep
Varying from the big empty spaces you described, to the crowded streets of Meah Shearim!
Here I am, in Lakewood, no plans of moving ever!

finprof

Post Thu, Jan 05 2023, 10:12 am
I went to grad school in Nebraska. There is a small community in Omaha.

Elfrida

Post Thu, Jan 05 2023, 10:17 am
amother OP wrote:
I always question myself about this thought. Since I was young, I have always wanted to live out in the open farm areas. (I am crazy about Iowa, Nebraska, Minnesota). Now I know to live a true life of Yiddishkeit and raising a family would be really hard in those farmlands, but if I had a chance, would I really give up my life (kinda city life, schools, shuls, shopping) and live in a quiet area with lots and lots of open green areas, farms, cows. I still have this dream but maybe it will always stay a dream (which is ok also).Have you ever thought of going somewhere else but it will just be a dream?

My sister had a similar dream until she discovered what cows smelt like! Now she lives in a small town in Israel, where she gets some degree of rural life, but a long way from the cows!

amother
Burntblack

Post Thu, Jan 05 2023, 10:28 am
Have you looked into Postville, Iowa?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 05 2023, 10:56 am
OP here. It's really a question about thoughts. If we will move, we know where we can go, that's not the problem. Just wondering if people always dream that one day it might happen.

amother
Maroon

Post Thu, Jan 05 2023, 1:59 pm
I live in Israel so it's different then the US hashkafikly.
I've been dreaming of living out in the country for forever. I never thought it was realistic but we did it.
A few months a go we moved out of the city and live in a moshav. There's lots of space and animals and I feel like I'm actually living a dream.

amother
Blushpink

Post Thu, Jan 05 2023, 2:01 pm
There are frum people who live on farms in Jackson NJ.

OceanRider

Post Thu, Jan 05 2023, 2:07 pm
amother Maroon wrote:
I live in Israel so it's different then the US hashkafikly.
I've been dreaming of living out in the country for forever. I never thought it was realistic but we did it.
A few months a go we moved out of the city and live in a moshav. There's lots of space and animals and I feel like I'm actually living a dream.

Sounds like a dream indeed!
You got the best of both worlds!

amother
Hunter

Post Thu, Jan 05 2023, 6:03 pm
Nopes. I live a 20-minute WALK from a world-class medical center and would never want to live in a place where I might have to be airlifted to one.

amother
Royalblue

Post Thu, Jan 05 2023, 6:21 pm
I have the same dream so we’re saving up to IyH be able to afford some land in NJ and do it near all the resources

amother
Cadetblue

Post Thu, Jan 05 2023, 6:39 pm
My husband and I daydream about this all the time. There's a place a couple hours away from our big urban city where we vacation and that's become our lifelong dream of a place to one day retire to. Will never happen Smile we talk about making a frum summer program there or pesach hotel. Also never going to happen LOL

GLUE

Post Thu, Jan 05 2023, 6:59 pm
My dream is to live in a place that I don't have to drive my kids everywhere.

Were places like schools are walk-able to them.

I am so sick of driving.

amother
Banana

Post Thu, Jan 05 2023, 7:15 pm
I have until a few years ago. We moved to a more suburban town, we love it but I see how I do miss some aspects of city life so I wouldn't want even less. Life taught me that the grass is always greener on the other side, I'm no longer sold on the idea that farm life is amazing.

My dh on the other hand still wants to retire early & become a farmer.

We actually love the farm smell! We've had different farm animals over the years.

amother
Cappuccino

Post Thu, Jan 05 2023, 7:30 pm
Would love to. I grew up on a farm and miss it so much. My kids are missing out a little but BH they are being educated properly.

We go on vacation once a year and try to rent a quiet, rural place and I get my fix (not enough). Love it so much.

Thought about when we retire we could have a farm but farms take a lot of work and when we are older, will need to be closer to community with resources. I won't have the energy by then. Plus, Shabbos is not practical on a farm.

amother
Cobalt

Post Thu, Jan 05 2023, 7:35 pm
amother Blushpink wrote:
There are frum people who live on farms in Jackson NJ.
This. We live 5 minutes away from a frum farm. They have 22 acres with stables, pens, hiking trails.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating