Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices
Do you have a router with built in filters?

ruchelbuckle

Post Thu, Jan 05 2023, 9:25 am
Looking to put a router with a filter on it, instead of filtering each device. Does anyone have one? Thanks!

bsy

Post Thu, Jan 05 2023, 2:21 pm
I have one. I didn't set it up so I'm not sure I can answer specific questions.

ruchelbuckle

Post Thu, Jan 05 2023, 2:27 pm
Which one do you have?

bsy

Post Thu, Jan 05 2023, 2:29 pm
Synology

amother
Birch

Post Thu, Jan 05 2023, 2:33 pm
Be aware that it can sometimes interact on a problematic way with a device that has it's own filter. So your desktops are fine, but if you want phones or iPads filtered when out of the house, you may find you need to turn those filters off inside. It depends on a lot of things and may be differentfor each device, and you don't tend to know it's a problem until it happens.

amother
Steelblue

Post Thu, Jan 05 2023, 2:55 pm
Also have synology, because I wanted the flexibility of filtering different devices differently (some are whitelisted to zoom only, some are whatsapp only, some are very restricted by category, some only somewhat restricted by category). However, I did not do a full comprehensive testing that the filtering works in all cases. I suspect that it is not 100% perfect. So on top of everything else, I set up a dnsfilter through cleanfilter.

I previously tried another couple of routers but they did not have the flexibility that I needed to be able to whitelist some devices and categorize others.

Kumphort

Post Thu, Jan 05 2023, 2:56 pm
I have the circle by Disney. You can set up profiles for each user and set multiple devices per user. You can have a default setting so that anyone who brings in a device is automatically filtered etc

amother
Foxglove

Post Thu, Jan 05 2023, 3:23 pm
amother Steelblue wrote:
Also have synology, because I wanted the flexibility of filtering different devices differently (some are whitelisted to zoom only, some are whatsapp only, some are very restricted by category, some only somewhat restricted by category). However, I did not do a full comprehensive testing that the filtering works in all cases. I suspect that it is not 100% perfect. So on top of everything else, I set up a dnsfilter through cleanfilter.

I previously tried another couple of routers but they did not have the flexibility that I needed to be able to whitelist some devices and categorize others.

You sound very knowledgeable about this stuff (or at least more knowledgeable than me!). I found this on Amazon when I searched for Synology. Is this what you have, and is there anything else I need to set it up in addition:

https://www.amazon.com/Synolog.....ss_tl

Also, could you please elaborate on the bolded - what is dnsfilter, and what do I need to do to use it? Can it be used instead of Synology, or only in addition to it?

amother
Milk

Post Thu, Jan 05 2023, 3:41 pm
I use Amazon eero plus.

amother
Foxglove

Post Thu, Jan 05 2023, 4:54 pm
amother Milk wrote:
I use Amazon eero plus.

Does it have built-in content filters?

amother
Steel

Post Thu, Jan 05 2023, 8:51 pm
bsy wrote:
Synology

Just asked DH and we have the same.

amother
Milk

Post Thu, Jan 05 2023, 9:48 pm
amother Foxglove wrote:
Does it have built-in content filters?
Plus is a subscription with content filters. It’s $10 a month. It works great so far. You can create different profiles for different devices etc.

amother
Steelblue

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 4:52 pm
amother Foxglove wrote:
You sound very knowledgeable about this stuff (or at least more knowledgeable than me!). I found this on Amazon when I searched for Synology. Is this what you have, and is there anything else I need to set it up in addition:

https://www.amazon.com/Synolog.....ss_tl

Also, could you please elaborate on the bolded - what is dnsfilter, and what do I need to do to use it? Can it be used instead of Synology, or only in addition to it?

Sorry, didnt see your reply earlier. Yes, this is the correct synology router. Once you set it up (or as part of the set up) you go to the safe access section and you can set up multiple profiles and devices. Actually is pretty straightforward to do.

In terms of dns filter, the way it works (I think) is that all data that is coming through your router needs to come through a dns server. Usually it comes from your internet provider's server which is largely unfiltered. However, you can change the dns server within the router or modem settings to point to a different dns server. I set mine to the cleanbrowsing dns ip address. You can see more information here: https://cleanbrowsing.org/filters/#step1

It works very differently than synology in that this is a single filter for your entire network, whereas synology allows you to selectively filter different device with different settings. So for example, I have my entire network blocking adult content as my minimum, but on top of that with the synology router I have some computers and phones that also block much more than that (depending on whether and how kids have access to them), a tablet that only allows zoom, and guests coming into my house get access to whatsapp only, unless they specifically need more.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics