Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Seminary Info
Seminary, Can we afford? Rabbi Greenwald speaks.
1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 05 2023, 1:03 am
you can go into Living L'chaim, kosher money, and I wanted to post with link but you tube came on and I didnt want to post with that. Maybe someone else can post just the link. Sorry.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 05 2023, 6:57 am
OP here, if someone can please post a link for the Rabbi Greenwald talk on expenses in Seminary in Israel. It was an eye opener. ( This I am just posting extra, Rabbi Greenwalds Seminary in Israel does provide Meals for each Shabbat and Yomtov, so the girls will always have a place to eat.)

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Jan 05 2023, 9:58 am
https://podcasts.apple.com/us/.....34704 I assume this is it.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 05 2023, 10:06 am
Thank you for posting.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 05 2023, 8:18 pm
Mrs. Heyman from Baltimore also spoke excellent. I would have really liked to hear more from her.

amother
Ghostwhite

Post Thu, Jan 05 2023, 8:26 pm
Can someone summarize on short what the speech was about?

amother
Canary

Post Thu, Jan 05 2023, 10:42 pm
amother OP wrote:
OP here, if someone can please post a link for the Rabbi Greenwald talk on expenses in Seminary in Israel. It was an eye opener. ( This I am just posting extra, Rabbi Greenwalds Seminary in Israel does provide Meals for each Shabbat and Yomtov, so the girls will always have a place to eat.)

What's his seminary called?
And what's the gist of his speech? Is he talking as a principal, about seminaries' high expenses?

amother
Midnight

Post Thu, Jan 05 2023, 11:04 pm
I couldnt believe what I was hearing from Rabbi Greenwald. What he was essentially saying, was that seminaries in Israel are comparable to all the other luxuries people have to decide if they really need. That the high prices exist because why not, its market driven, if the people pay for it, it exists.
The overall message I understood from him was that seminary is a high priced luxury, like sleepaway camps and fancy cars

ETA he was going in circles, saying if its something people think is worth it then they do what it takes to pay for it. But that they have to decide if theres value in it for them. And if not, they shouldnt be irresponsible and spend money they dont have. Just like all other things in our culture, and keeping up with the joneses etc

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Jan 05 2023, 11:07 pm
I haven't heard it yet, but am surprised that he'd say something that would put him out of business. OTOH, I respect that.
His seminary is Me'ohr.

amother
Green

Post Thu, Jan 05 2023, 11:13 pm
amother Midnight wrote:
I couldnt believe what I was hearing from Rabbi Greenwald. What he was essentially saying, was that seminaries in Israel are comparable to all the other luxuries people have to decide if they really need. That the high prices exist because why not, its market driven, if the people pay for it, it exists.
The overall message I understood from him was that seminary is a high priced luxury, like sleepaway camps and fancy cars

It 100% is a luxury. Why would anyone think differently?

The rich can afford it.
The middle class go if they can get college credits.
The poor try to get get scholarships.
The poor who can't get scholarships don't go.

It's SUCH an unnecessary pressure. So sad.

amother
Anemone

Post Thu, Jan 05 2023, 11:20 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
I haven't heard it yet, but am surprised that he'd say something that would put him out of business. OTOH, I respect that.
His seminary is Me'ohr.

Don't worry this is not going to put him out of business. I mean, halevai it should and this seminary madness should stop. But highly unlikely.

chestnut

Post Thu, Jan 05 2023, 11:50 pm
Listened to half of it so far. Overall, he's making sense. A very interesting insight into seminaries as businesses and great points about it being an expense like summer camp, house, car, etc. You should go/get it only if can afford.
In regards to the joint application for all BY seminaries not working, somehow non BY ones do it, all also come separately to the US for interviews, and manage just well.
In regards to girls' living expenses at home after HS, many would be working at least part time, to cover their car, gas, clothing, and eating out.
Saying that 32-36 credits in the US college would cost the same as seminary, that depends on college. Sterns and Touro - probably. CUNY and Sara Schenirer - no.

shabbatiscoming

Post Fri, Jan 06 2023, 9:07 am
amother Midnight wrote:

ETA he was going in circles, saying if its something people think is worth it then they do what it takes to pay for it. But that they have to decide if theres value in it for them. And if not, they shouldnt be irresponsible and spend money they dont have. Just like all other things in our culture, and keeping up with the joneses etc
How is he wrong?
Sem is NOT a requirement in frum life. Its not a mitzvah. Its also not an aveira not to go.
If one can afford this gap year great. But if not, how is rabbi not correct?
Why couldnt you believe what he was saying?
Sem wasnt always insanely expensive. Because it wasnt everyone who went and because more and more kids started going that in itself drove up the prices.

amother
Seafoam

Post Fri, Jan 06 2023, 11:10 am
PinkFridge wrote:
His seminary is Me'ohr.

I haven't heard it, but based on what people are summarizing, he's not putting himself out of business, rather he's justifying large profit being made on seminaries by saying it's a "luxury" business and price can be based on supply and demand

Verses, a non profit school that charges the cost of running.

amother
Midnight

Post Fri, Jan 06 2023, 11:11 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
How is he wrong?
Sem is NOT a requirement in frum life. Its not a mitzvah. Its also not an aveira not to go.
If one can afford this gap year great. But if not, how is rabbi not correct?
Why couldnt you believe what he was saying?
Sem wasnt always insanely expensive. Because it wasnt everyone who went and because more and more kids started going that in itself drove up the prices.

I guess im shocked to hear him say it because with his position, I expected to hear him say how necessary it is. This is very refreshing to hear, and stil shocking to me.

amother
Powderblue

Post Fri, Jan 06 2023, 11:18 am
Yet so many people go into debt sending their daughters because the high school teachers make it seem like a necessity.

amother
Midnight

Post Fri, Jan 06 2023, 11:27 am
amother Powderblue wrote:
Yet so many people go into debt sending their daughters because the high school teachers make it seem like a necessity.

Correct, exactly.
The highschools most definitely are not viewing seminary the way he is.

mha3484

Post Fri, Jan 06 2023, 11:42 am
I think its also a ratio of what you pay vs what you provide. It sounds like his seminary is open for Shabbos, for pesach, sukkos, so you pay a lot but your getting the option to keep your daughter there all year, she does not have to feel enormous pressure to go to strangers for shabbos. You dont have to spend more money to bring her home for pesach. Vs a sem that really takes a lot of your money but leaves the girls to fend for themselves. My girls are still very young but the second option does not sit well with me.

chestnut

Post Fri, Jan 06 2023, 1:07 pm
amother Seafoam wrote:
I haven't heard it, but based on what people are summarizing, he's not putting himself out of business, rather he's justifying large profit being made on seminaries by saying it's a "luxury" business and price can be based on supply and demand

While he's saying they're basically allowed to charge whatever they want because supply and demand, he's also saying that he isn't making a huge profit (this year he's in the red cause looks like they took in fewer girls; covid year he was in the red but tge fundraiser covered it).

mha3484

Post Fri, Jan 06 2023, 1:09 pm
I wish they interviewed a sem owner who does the opposite of R Greenwald. I would like to know the rationale between charging up to 30k but not providing the services that he seems to provide?
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Seminary Info