Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
What do you think of this name?
Previous  1  2

amother
Sienna

Post Wed, Jan 04 2023, 12:59 pm
I love Merele, no nickname needed.

amother
Diamond

Post Wed, Jan 04 2023, 1:04 pm
I don’t like the name, sorry. Merele sounds like a cutesy term for carrot in Yiddish.

amother
Seashell

Post Wed, Jan 04 2023, 1:27 pm
amother OP wrote:
True.
But I think that in general, nicknames stick. For the small percentage that insist on changing their names, so be it.
Personally, I wouldn't give a 3-year-old much of a choice for their name - and in general, I give my (currently) 3yo daughter a lot of freedom to make choices, I'm not restrictive - but I don't think they have the maturity to decide what they should be called. An older child, I hear. I had friends change their names/the spelling of their names as 12/13 year olds.

Seriously? a kid can't pick how they want to be called? I'm not talking about Moshe suddenly deciding he wants to be called Bob the Builder or a dog from Paw Patrol. I mean Moshe saying he wants to go by Moishy or Moishy to be called Moshe

amother
Maize

Post Wed, Jan 04 2023, 1:37 pm
amother OP wrote:
True.
But I think that in general, nicknames stick. For the small percentage that insist on changing their names, so be it.
Personally, I wouldn't give a 3-year-old much of a choice for their name - and in general, I give my (currently) 3yo daughter a lot of freedom to make choices, I'm not restrictive - but I don't think they have the maturity to decide what they should be called. An older child, I hear. I had friends change their names/the spelling of their names as 12/13 year olds.

IME teens are a lot more likely to make stupid decisions than 3 year olds. A teen might think something is cute one day, insist on getting everyone to call her that, and a month later realize how stupid it sounds but it’s too late. If a three year old insists on being called her full name, you should go along with it.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 04 2023, 6:52 pm
amother Diamond wrote:
I don’t like the name, sorry. Merele sounds like a cutesy term for carrot in Yiddish.

Lol, that's one way to look at it! I don't love the name itself, but really like the nickname. Personally, I'll give family names I don't love out of respect to my family members and mesora, and I find we just get used to each one somehow. But I wouldn't give something I hate.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 04 2023, 6:53 pm
amother Seashell wrote:
Seriously? a kid can't pick how they want to be called? I'm not talking about Moshe suddenly deciding he wants to be called Bob the Builder or a dog from Paw Patrol. I mean Moshe saying he wants to go by Moishy or Moishy to be called Moshe

Yup, seriously. Maybe it's just my kids' natures, but DD is very much the type to choose something nonsensical.

shaqued_almond

Post Wed, Jan 04 2023, 6:57 pm
I like Mirel better than Merele

Choirmistress

Post Fri, Jan 06 2023, 1:50 am
What nickname/contraction or abbreviation/pet name would go with it would depend on which of the first or the second syllable is stressed, which you did not indicate. In either case, what is its root language and meaning? Those might also help you decide on a shortened form of the name.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Fri, Jan 06 2023, 9:07 am
amother OP wrote:
We have the name Merele (female, pronounced 'meh-reh-leh') in my family. It has always been given with a second name and those girls have been called by that second name. However, we were thinking of giving the name but using the nickname 'Relli'. Not that we know the gender, but if it is a girl...
What do you think?

I find it so funny how many opinions you got on the name merele and you might be carrying a boy LOL LOL
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names