Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Meatal stenosis- UPDATE

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 02 2022, 7:35 pm
My son had just been diagnosed with this and will require surgery under anesthesia.
I wanted to know from others, what was the healing like, how long did you child need to stay home? Also did he need any extra care after as I have not told his daycare anything about it and would prefer not to have to tell them.
TIA

amother
Aconite

Post Wed, Nov 02 2022, 7:42 pm
My son had it without general anesthesia- in the doctors office. He went straight to day camp afterwards. I think he didn’t swim that day and was all back to normal right away.
It was a very long time ago, but that is what I remember. If it was traumatic at all I’m sure I would remember.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 02 2022, 8:06 pm
The urologist said that he will need it under anesthesia but it will only be a day stay but I didn't ask questions as I didn't have time to think.

amother
Aconite

Post Wed, Nov 02 2022, 8:11 pm
Is it possible to get a second opinion? Maybe another urologist would be willing to do the procedure with local anesthesia?

amother
Tealblue

Post Wed, Nov 02 2022, 8:24 pm
My son had the procedure under general anesthesia. Our pediatrician recommended we do it that way because when done under local they do a simpler procedure that may need to be repeated in the future. My son felt a little groggy from anesthesia and a little sore when walking too much that day. It was also a bit painful going to the bathroom for a few days.

amother
Tealblue

Post Wed, Nov 02 2022, 8:31 pm
Also, he went back to school the next day and we didn’t feel the need to tell his teachers anything either.

amother
Tulip

Post Wed, Nov 02 2022, 8:36 pm
My son had it done under general at age 3. I was a nervous wreck but it really went very well. It was hard having him fast the morning of, and watching him go under was scary but the actual procedure was under a half hour and they let him go home as soon as he drank.
Only the first bathroom visit was a bit dramatic, once we got that over with he was back to normal. By the next day it was like it never happened.

We had it done on Friday and he was back in school on Monday.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 02 2022, 9:19 pm
Thanks for the reply, good to hear that he won't need to take if much. At the moment it is scheduled on a Thursday so I am glad that we will have over the weekend to let him heal.

amother
Cherry

Post Wed, Nov 02 2022, 9:29 pm
I've never heard of it being done without anesthesia.
It's a very mild procedure and very common. I work in pediatrics and see it all the time.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Nov 05 2022, 10:20 pm
I received the report and the urologist we saw wrote that he has "significant meatal stenosis" as it's 30% the size of what it should be.
Question is, should I do the procedure with this urologist who is a top professor and it will cost us 3.5k or just stick with anyone that we can get. This money won't make me go into debt bit I am just wondering how necessary it would be

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jan 07 2023, 4:15 pm
I just thought I should update for anyone going through this, My son had a an ultrasound of his bladder and kidneys and b"h his kidney are looking healthy but his bladder he was unable to empty completely but iyh it will be ok after surgery.
He had surgery under general anesthesia with stitches on either side to keep it open and b"h it went very well. The actual surgery day was difficult but they give him some type of spinal injection (they said something similar to an epidural) so he didn't have any pain the first 6-8 hours.
The next day he had very slight pain 3-4 time but nothing terrible and that was it. He kept on being his lively self and kept on telling him to stop being wild, I was scared he was going to hurt himself but he has been perfect.
The first day at the hospital he only wanted to see in a diaper but since then he is going normally and I smiled to myself the first time he went standing and it went perfectly into the toilet! B"H!

amother
Jade

Post Fri, May 05 2023, 1:59 pm
Bumping this up. Did your baby have any symptoms or you only found out through a sonogram?

amother
OP

Post Sat, May 06 2023, 4:00 pm
amother Jade wrote:
Bumping this up. Did your baby have any symptoms or you only found out through a sonogram?

I only found out when he was 2.5 and I toilet trained him and the stream went like a sideway rainbow. He then had an untrasound to check his bladder and kidneys which showed that he was unable to empty his bladder but his kidneys we bh not damaged.
He is supposed to have a follow up 6 month after which will be very soon but I am seeing a massive difference in his stream so hopefully his bladder is also ok now.
Any questions feel free to ask

amother
Violet

Post Sun, Nov 19 2023, 8:00 pm
Hope it’s ok to bump this up.
We’re scheduled to this tomorrow in Jersey shore, does anyone with experience with this procedure in this hospital know if they use a mask to knock them out (I hate that expression but can’t think of a better one) first before they give the iv? I would assume it’s standard but someone elsewhere just told me her child had a procedure under a general where they first did the IV and I’m really hoping that’s not the case here.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics