Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Ridiculous Tone Deaf Ami Whisk Editorial
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jan 07 2023, 6:21 pm
Who else was struck by the irony of this week's Ami Whisk editorial. Side by side on the same page was the ad for the magazine inflation contest where people submit ideas for cost effective dinners and the editorial in which the editor (who lives in Israel) talks about the Chanukah dinner she made. She listed the menu:

Latkas topped with garlic aioli and pulled beef
Grilled chicken salad
Chicken nuggets with dipping sauces
Steak
Mashed Potatoes
Blistered Tomatoes

I am fine if people serve what they want but very tone deaf and felt like a total 'brag.' Her point was that her menu was not a good choice because so many of the items had to be made fresh so she was in the kitchen the whole time. That point could have been made without listing that over the top menu the way she did.

amother
Wheat

Post Sat, Jan 07 2023, 6:27 pm
I miss Victoria dweck

amother
Stonewash

Post Sat, Jan 07 2023, 6:31 pm
I'm a pretty simple person, but what was over the top? Especially if she made it herself.

Perhaps the only thing was pulled beef. But she would need only a small amount to top.

Are you upset about the chicken nuggets? Yeah, chicken is expensive these days, but it's still a normal thing to eat.

amother
Stonewash

Post Sat, Jan 07 2023, 6:31 pm
Oops. Sorry.

Missed the steak.

amother
Lightgray

Post Sat, Jan 07 2023, 6:33 pm
I think everyone should just stay inside forever and ever and never speak to anyone else or look at anyone else because you’ll probably offend someone in some way. Rolling Eyes

amother
Peachpuff

Post Sat, Jan 07 2023, 6:33 pm
amother Stonewash wrote:
Oops. Sorry.

Missed the steak.

Steak is not even expensive these days.

Cookin4days

Post Sat, Jan 07 2023, 6:36 pm
Not tone deaf at all in my opinion but im sorry it triggered you

amother
Sand

Post Sat, Jan 07 2023, 6:37 pm
amother Wheat wrote:
I miss Victoria dweck

I don’t read the ami often enough to know that she left, but when I read this op my first thought was this doesn’t sound like Victoria.

amother
Dandelion

Post Sat, Jan 07 2023, 6:40 pm
I don’t think this is a big deal.

amother
Chambray

Post Sat, Jan 07 2023, 6:41 pm
When did she leave. I thought Ludmir was only subbing for her. Isn’t she a daughter of Rechy Frankfurter?

amother
Sapphire

Post Sat, Jan 07 2023, 6:44 pm
Did the writer write her article in connection to the inflation contest? If not, she probably had no idea or input into the layout.

amother
Lightgray

Post Sat, Jan 07 2023, 6:46 pm
Also ironic that you’re complaining about expensive content in a very expensive magazine.

amother
Opal

Post Sat, Jan 07 2023, 6:47 pm
Even with the steak I don’t think it’s the craziest menu. For a regular weeknight? Totally. But for a party?

amother
Broom

Post Sat, Jan 07 2023, 6:59 pm
Does she need to serve chicken bottoms at her Chanuka party? Scratching Head

amother
Banana

Post Sat, Jan 07 2023, 7:06 pm
OP you need to stop getting offended by inoffensive things. Or at least don’t post about it and bash someone for literally doing nothing wrong in a public forum.

The Ami is expensive, I haven’t bought it in years for that reason. But this isn’t even egregious behavior - this is really normal menu for a party.

amother
Tuberose

Post Sat, Jan 07 2023, 7:24 pm
Not in my budget but I’m happy for people who can do it! I’m not really the Ami target demographic, I’m an OOT midwesterner.

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Sat, Jan 07 2023, 8:11 pm
I usually don’t find anything my family would enjoy in the whisk. It’s a shame that so much work goes into the posting recipes and photo shoots of prepared food. Most of the time the ingredients are not really kid friendly. I’m not talking about little kids. My kids are teens. It’s possible it’s just me. I’m wondering…

Victoria left in November after 10 years. I think she works with between carpools now and puts out cookbooks…

scintilla

Post Sat, Jan 07 2023, 8:14 pm
I thought it was fine, it was a special occasion. More than I would prepare for a party personally, but really not over the top imo...

I do love how they have the article by Bruchy Duschinsky (or however you spell it) every week, very practical and down to earth. Balances out everything else. But also you gotta take it in the spirit it's intended - it's meant to be inspiration, not trying to convince you to make oyster steaks every night. Or at least that's how I read it, and I greatly enjoy it like that!

(I don't even know what oyster steaks are but it sounds right)

amother
Wheat

Post Sat, Jan 07 2023, 8:15 pm
amother DarkMagenta wrote:
I usually don’t find anything my family would enjoy in the whisk. It’s a shame that so much work goes into the posting recipes and photo shoots of prepared food. Most of the time the ingredients are not really kid friendly. I’m not talking about little kids. My kids are teens. It’s possible it’s just me. I’m wondering…

Victoria left in November after 10 years. I think she works with between carpools now and puts out cookbooks…

It was weird that one week they had hello cooks by Malky ludmir with no mention of Victoria. Then the next week she wrote it again but this time write she was filling in for Victoria. Then Victoria wrote the next week, and then this week it’s many again with no mention of Victoria leaving. Tonight there was an article on between carpools saying she left whisk in November and is now putting out an email column for a fee. I don’t get the lack of transparency by the ami…

amother
Chicory

Post Sat, Jan 07 2023, 8:40 pm
I just checked and Victoria is listed as features editor. Malky is now listed as Editor and Creative Director.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room