Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Seminary Info
Seminary info - modern orthodox seminaries
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 08 2023, 7:29 am
Is there anyone out there who can give me some suggestions for more modern orthodox (ie more open) seminaries (looking for 2024, so just starting to think about it) for a girl who is not so interested in academics and who comes from London, England (but not necessarily looking for somewhere where other English girls go, DD is friendly and sociable in her own quiet way and tends to make good friends wherever she goes)?

DD is at Hasmonean as there was really nowhere else in London for her, but everybody says they push you towards the same five seminaries, and I am sure there is a lot more out there that we just don't know about. DD plans to go to university after seminary, but is keen on veterinary nursing (is keen on animals, the environment, loves outdoor trips, geography etc). Has been in top set for JS all the way through, but not top, top set (ie not the 10 or so girls taken out of top set to be taught in Hebrew). Not raring to learn mishna/gemara (not available at Hasmonean or anywhere else in England, but hashkafically if we had lived in say, Boston, we might have sent to Maimonides etc - although of course it is hard to think in hypotheticals). Sort of places I know tend to stress advanced gemara, and while that is my sort of place, DD is just not so interested and might do better with somewhere with inspiring kodesh in the morning and alternatives in the afternoon - if she could do something that was animal or environmental related it might help with her veterinary nursing application, as the places are very competitive, especially in London.

Any thoughts?

amother
Brown

Post Sun, Jan 08 2023, 7:35 am
https://toratchessed.com/about-mtc/faqs/

JuGold

Post Sun, Jan 08 2023, 7:52 am
Would michlala work?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 08 2023, 7:59 am
JuGold wrote:
Would michlala work?

I thought michlala had a reputation as being very academically rigorous? Also possibly slightly to the right of where I think DD is.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 08 2023, 8:03 am
Also DD is doing an A level in modern Hebrew, so might potentially be able to access an Israeli program, although I don't know if that is a good idea and/or would work. Maybe somewhere that has both English and Hebrew.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 08 2023, 8:12 am
amother Brown wrote:
https://toratchessed.com/about-mtc/faqs/

Interesting. Although DD thinks animals are more interesting than people. If there was one like this for farming - is there anything run on a kibbutz dati/yishuv that is also a proper seminary? All the kibbutz ulpan etc that I have seen are just about learning Hebrew, and also she wouldn't get the seminary experience and I am not sure she is ready for a mixed, plus mixed age crowd, feels a step to far.

amother
Plum

Post Sun, Jan 08 2023, 8:30 am
How about midreshet Amit? not so academic plus able to speak with Israeli kids during chesed. I would suggest tiferet also but she would not be speaking any Hebrew there. Not so academic plus English girls come

sequoia

Post Sun, Jan 08 2023, 8:38 am
Does she has any interests in art, music, drama, creative writing?

amother
Charcoal

Post Sun, Jan 08 2023, 8:38 am
amother OP wrote:
I thought michlala had a reputation as being very academically rigorous? Also possibly slightly to the right of where I think DD is.

Michlalah is Definitely NOT what you are looking for. I'd look into MMY, Shalavim, midreshet moriah

amother
Cyan

Post Sun, Jan 08 2023, 8:45 am
I don't know if this fits her hashgafa, but Ein Hanatziv is on a kibbutz and the girls who go there really like nature. https://midrasha.co.il/en/

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 08 2023, 8:45 am
amother Plum wrote:
How about midreshet Amit? not so academic plus able to speak with Israeli kids during chesed. I would suggest tiferet also but she would not be speaking any Hebrew there. Not so academic plus English girls come

Now that is interesting. Just had a look at midreshet Amit and this caught my eye as one of the Out of the Building chessed opportunities:

"Grandpa Jack Horse Riding Center: helps children youth and adults with physical, emotional and behavioral special needs cope with their disability and acquire basic life skills through therapeutic horseback riding. In addition in helps improve their flexibility, balance, muscle strength as well as develop confidence, patience, self-esteem by riding and interacting with horses"

Now that sounds like DD. I wonder if it would be very competitive to get that given all the others (she has volunteered at our local stables, so has some experience in mucking out etc). Also any opportunity to volunteer with guide dogs or similar. That sort of thing (she walks other peoples dogs, only because her mother doesn't think she could handle more than a hamster or couple of gerbils as pets here - and even those were only a concession to DD and are totally looked after by DD). She always says that if she went to the army, she would want to work with the animal training unit.

amother
Natural

Post Sun, Jan 08 2023, 8:46 am
amother Charcoal wrote:
Michlalah is Definitely NOT what you are looking for. I'd look into MMY, Shalavim, midreshet moriah

Michlalah is academic and much more to the right (the American/English speaking program is not at all MO, I'm not sure why some people keep thinking it is.) But aren't MMY and Shalavim for women also pretty academic?

amother
Brown

Post Sun, Jan 08 2023, 8:47 am
https://skamigdaloz.org/en/english-homepage/

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 08 2023, 8:50 am
sequoia wrote:
Does she has any interests in art, music, drama, creative writing?

Well she plays violin (doing her grade 5 at the moment). So reasonable standard and does really enjoy it but not going to make a career out of it. Ditto with drama. The thing that will really make her go the extra mile is if there is a sick animal involved. Can name every single dog species there is, that sort of thing.

JuGold

Post Sun, Jan 08 2023, 8:53 am
Also emunah vomanut? It’s an art type of seminary.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 08 2023, 8:56 am
amother Cyan wrote:
I don't know if this fits her hashgafa, but Ein Hanatziv is on a kibbutz and the girls who go there really like nature. https://midrasha.co.il/en/

That sounds interesting as well. I will definitely put that on the list for further investigation. Could be a lot of potential there.

Do you know what the hashkafa is? It does look like she can choose to do gemara or not, if she wants to.

amother
Apricot

Post Sun, Jan 08 2023, 8:57 am
amother Natural wrote:
Michlalah is academic and much more to the right (the American/English speaking program is not at all MO, I'm not sure why some people keep thinking it is.) But aren't MMY and Shalavim for women also pretty academic?

Probably because a lot of RWMO/YU type people send there.

amother
Apricot

Post Sun, Jan 08 2023, 9:01 am
amother Brown wrote:

Migdal Oz is academically intense and gemara study is required. See FAQ below.

How much focus is placed on Gemara? Other areas?
Gemara is a main part of the program. Everyone learns gemara three mornings a week in morning seder, and you can choose to take it a fourth morning a week if you desire. As for afternoons, and night seder, you will build a personalized schedule to fit your needs and desires, and you will have many different options to choose from – Tanach, Gemara, Halacha, Machshava, and Chassidut.

amother
Foxglove

Post Sun, Jan 08 2023, 9:10 am
amother Brown wrote:

Migdal Oz is heavy duty gemara, morning to night. It does have some touchy feely stuff, but I don't think it's what OP is looking for.

Lindenbaum in less Israeli, but also quite a bit of Gemara.

I second Shaalvim, MMY, HaRova, places like that.

amother
Cyan

Post Sun, Jan 08 2023, 9:21 am
I suggested Ein Hanatziv above, but I also wanted to mention that she should consider that a number of sem programs include an internship or volunteer time. Perhaps she could connect with the Israel Guide Dog association for volunteer options during that time. https://israelguidedog.org/
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Seminary Info