Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Seminary Info
Seminary info - modern orthodox seminaries
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 08 2023, 9:25 am
amother Brown wrote:
https://skamigdaloz.org/en/english-homepage/

That looks like the sort of place her mother would have liked to go! Will probably include it on the list in case DD suddenly feels like she would like a year of intensive learning. But after the intensity of A levels, I don't think that is what she wants - more chessed or practical stuff is just more who she is.

sequoia

Post Sun, Jan 08 2023, 9:26 am
amother OP wrote:
Well she plays violin (doing her grade 5 at the moment). So reasonable standard and does really enjoy it but not going to make a career out of it. Ditto with drama. The thing that will really make her go the extra mile is if there is a sick animal involved. Can name every single dog species there is, that sort of thing.

Well, you can still consider Emunah V’omanut as a option. It’s MO, nice classes, nice atmosphere. There’s a lot of choices for arts classes.

amother
Electricblue

Post Sun, Jan 08 2023, 9:27 am
MMY, Shalavim, Tiferet, sound like good choices

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 08 2023, 9:29 am
amother Cyan wrote:
I suggested Ein Hanatziv above, but I also wanted to mention that she should consider that a number of sem programs include an internship or volunteer time. Perhaps she could connect with the Israel Guide Dog association for volunteer options during that time. https://israelguidedog.org/

What are the sem programs that include an internship or volunteer time (besides midreshet Amit mentioned above, and Tifferet, mentioned by the same poster, which I have just looked at) - and which I didn't know of before?

I think a sem plus internship might be great for her - how do I find out more about places that offer this?

amother
Glitter

Post Sun, Jan 08 2023, 9:36 am
Harova has always had a reputation for being the "artsy" place. They have more academic options for those that are into that, but it's totally possible to go the more "fluffy" route if that's your preference. Plus they do have a lot of Brits, not just students but staff too (I know you said that's not strictly necessary, but I think it's nice to have).

amother
Charcoal

Post Sun, Jan 08 2023, 9:38 am
amother Glitter wrote:
Harova has always had a reputation for being the "artsy" place. They have more academic options for those that are into that, but it's totally possible to go the more "fluffy" route if that's your preference. Plus they do have a lot of Brits, not just students but staff too (I know you said that's not strictly necessary, but I think it's nice to have).

But just a note, Harova is more to the left than the other places mentioned

amother
Cyan

Post Sun, Jan 08 2023, 9:40 am
Look at the YU List for Girls Schools for more information about schools that combine activities with learning:
https://www.yu.edu/israel-program/gis

amother
Chartreuse

Post Sun, Jan 08 2023, 9:42 am
Hasmo will definitely be able to help, have you spoken to them yet?

amother
Forestgreen

Post Sun, Jan 08 2023, 10:10 am
Look at the YU Sem list. It Will describe many options for schools.

2 of my DDs went to Machon Ma’ayan. One is very academic and one is not. They are both not party girls or BTs. They both thrived.
https://www.yu.edu/israel-program/gis.

amother
Salmon

Post Sun, Jan 08 2023, 10:36 am
amother Charcoal wrote:
Michlalah is Definitely NOT what you are looking for. I'd look into MMY, Shalavim, midreshet moriah
While you are correct that Michlalah would not be a good fit, none of your suggestions would be either. They are all very academic schools especially Midreshet Moriah

Batsheva1

Post Sun, Jan 08 2023, 10:38 am
I think Tiferet would be a good place. Girls with nice middos but not academic ones. All the girls I know that went there were very happy.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 08 2023, 11:05 am
amother Chartreuse wrote:
Hasmo will definitely be able to help, have you spoken to them yet?

Yes, I am sure they will help - just that somebody I know said that when she got to Israel, she discovered that there were quite a lot of places that just hadn't made it to the Hasmo sem fair and the Hasmo advice list. Which is fair enough, Hasmo will know about the places that have worked in the past or have reached out for English girls, but I thought it might make sense to consider a bit more widely - and do a bit of brainstorming slightly early. DD tends to keep her head down and I am not sure that Hasmo really know her very well. Enough to probably narrow it down, but if there is something at bit out of the usual (like a sem that also has internships or a sem on a kibbutz) they might well not know of it, and it might be a better fit for DD, or at least worth considering.

Also we might go to Israel in the summer (help practice DD's MH, and just have a holiday), and I thought maybe if we could time it right we could look at a couple of places (although they might be closed if we go after Tisha B'Av) - won't be possible in the autumn (fall), can't go for Sukkos, and then there is no real time. But Hasmo seems to mostly give their help in the autumn term (which again makes sense, I am a little bit early, but only because I think we might be looking for something a little bit different - although maybe we aren't).

amother
Foxglove

Post Sun, Jan 08 2023, 11:10 am
A lot of visitors come from the US around now to look at seminaries because this is when Jewish day schools have vacation. Is there a chance you could pop over now? You'd get a lot of attention and be able to see the schools in action.

chanchy123

Post Sun, Jan 08 2023, 11:21 am
amother OP wrote:
Yes, I am sure they will help - just that somebody I know said that when she got to Israel, she discovered that there were quite a lot of places that just hadn't made it to the Hasmo sem fair and the Hasmo advice list. Which is fair enough, Hasmo will know about the places that have worked in the past or have reached out for English girls, but I thought it might make sense to consider a bit more widely - and do a bit of brainstorming slightly early. DD tends to keep her head down and I am not sure that Hasmo really know her very well. Enough to probably narrow it down, but if there is something at bit out of the usual (like a sem that also has internships or a sem on a kibbutz) they might well not know of it, and it might be a better fit for DD, or at least worth considering.

Also we might go to Israel in the summer (help practice DD's MH, and just have a holiday), and I thought maybe if we could time it right we could look at a couple of places (although they might be closed if we go after Tisha B'Av) - won't be possible in the autumn (fall), can't go for Sukkos, and then there is no real time. But Hasmo seems to mostly give their help in the autumn term (which again makes sense, I am a little bit early, but only because I think we might be looking for something a little bit different - although maybe we aren't).

The seminaries usually end their year in June, it sounds like you’re planning on coming later.

Elfrida

Post Sun, Jan 08 2023, 11:48 am
amother Foxglove wrote:
A lot of visitors come from the US around now to look at seminaries because this is when Jewish day schools have vacation. Is there a chance you could pop over now? You'd get a lot of attention and be able to see the schools in action.

Unless things have changed since I was in England, the schools will have gone back this week. Taking a week or two out of school during A-levels can only be done for a very good reason. It's two years of intensive study, and not always easy to make up material.

I agree that coming in the summer won't give you much chance to see the seminaries. The year normally finishes in June, shortly after Shavuot. Very few go from Elul through Tisha b'Av. They mostly follow the secular academic year, from September through June.

Last edited by Elfrida on Sun, Jan 08 2023, 11:53 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 08 2023, 11:49 am
amother Forestgreen wrote:
Look at the YU Sem list. It Will describe many options for schools.

2 of my DDs went to Machon Ma’ayan. One is very academic and one is not. They are both not party girls or BTs. They both thrived.
https://www.yu.edu/israel-program/gis.

Ah - Yes, just looked at Machon Ma'ayan - they have a Community Chessed and Internship program - and in the brochure they include "Equestrian therapy" and "Educational Farm" - the latter is apparently in Ashdod and they travel there weekly. Sounds like they are open to other options as well.

Now that is very interesting. Can you ask your DDs how the internships worked? Are they just once a week or more often? What is the timetable otherwise like? The thing about DD is that she is quite capable academically (not brilliant, but capable), and is working very hard on her A levels because she knows that is what is required, and her kodesh teachers are very positive about her (and give her very good grades). It is just that I don't think she is passionate (at least at the moment) about spending lots of time in the beis medrish, she is passionate about being outdoors and looking after living things.

Are there a lot of BTs and/or party girls at Ma'ayan? Is that the reputation? DD will just ignore the party girls, she has absolutely no interest (but might be lonely if that is all there is). Is there some level of streaming though if girls are also coming with very limited background? After what, 13 years (plus nursery) of Jewish schooling in top sets throughout, one would think she has learnt something and I wouldn't want her not to be challenged either.

Does sound like Ma'ayan is one to add to the possibles list (which is all I am trying to do at the moment, cast the net widely)

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 08 2023, 11:56 am
Elfrida wrote:
Unless things have changed since I was in England, the schools will have gone back this week. Taking a week or two out of school during A-levels can only be done for a very good reason. It's two years of intensive study, and not always easy to make up material.

Yes absolutely - no way we can take time out of school, just can't.

And yes we would have to come later than June, school won't finish until near the end of July. A levels are very intensive (part of the reason I am pretty sure she is looking for Sem to give her a bit of a break from the academic intensity). Do they not reopen on 1 Elul? School here won't start until the beginning of September, so I was thinking more like end of August (but given that they will be welcoming new girls, they might not want prospective students around)

amother
Red

Post Sun, Jan 08 2023, 11:58 am
amother Salmon wrote:
While you are correct that Michlalah would not be a good fit, none of your suggestions would be either. They are all very academic schools especially Midreshet Moriah

The girls I know who sent to Midreshet Moriah wrote not particularly academic. I went to MMY and it was academic and text based.

Elfrida

Post Sun, Jan 08 2023, 12:02 pm
amother OP wrote:
Is there some level of streaming though if girls are also coming with very limited background? After what, 13 years (plus nursery) of Jewish schooling in top sets throughout, one would think she has learnt something and I wouldn't want her not to be challenged either.

I remember talking about this some time ago with a very experienced seminary teacher (Michlala, Dachei Bina, Shalavim, among others). She said that in her experience, the English girls often have a lower level of skills than the American ones. A-levels are a much more demanding programme than what the American girls are doing in the equivalent years, and consequently there is less time available for Jewish studies. Not to criticise the education she has received, but there are major differences between the two systems, and when the girls are together in the same seminary it shows.

Last edited by Elfrida on Sun, Jan 08 2023, 12:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

simcha2

Post Sun, Jan 08 2023, 12:03 pm
How about MTVA (the Bnei Akiva sem) or Amudim (small, a little out the box). Also the new Aish Sem, Aish Gesher Women.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Seminary Info