Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Seminary Info
Seminary info - modern orthodox seminaries
Previous  1  2  3

Elfrida

Post Sun, Jan 08 2023, 12:06 pm
amother OP wrote:
Yes absolutely - no way we can take time out of school, just can't.

And yes we would have to come later than June, school won't finish until near the end of July. A levels are very intensive (part of the reason I am pretty sure she is looking for Sem to give her a bit of a break from the academic intensity). Do they not reopen on 1 Elul? School here won't start until the beginning of September, so I was thinking more like end of August (but given that they will be welcoming new girls, they might not want prospective students around)

A very few seminaries open in Elul, but mostly they start in September. A lot of the American girls will be spending time in camp in the summer, and the system is set up to accommodate that.

On the bright side, that means she will be in England when A-level results come out, and on the spot to deal with any issues with her results, or clearing if necessary.

amother
Charcoal

Post Sun, Jan 08 2023, 12:14 pm
amother Salmon wrote:
While you are correct that Michlalah would not be a good fit, none of your suggestions would be either. They are all very academic schools especially Midreshet Moriah

Midreshet Moriah is not super academic at all. Maybe MMY...but even that not crazy academic

simcha2

Post Sun, Jan 08 2023, 12:41 pm
Also Israelnextyear.org is a great resource

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 08 2023, 1:50 pm
Elfrida wrote:
I remember talking about this some time ago with a very experienced seminary teacher (Michlala, Dachei Bina, Shalavim, among others). She said that in her experience, the English girls often have a lower level of skills than the American ones. A-levels are a much more demanding programme than what the American girls are doing in the equivalent years, and consequently there is less time available for Jewish studies. Not to criticise the education she has received, but there are major differences between the two systems, and when the girls are together in the same seminary it shows.

Yes, I think most people in England who are a bit more world aware are aware of that (and sometimes I have dispaired about the level of kodesh here for girls - but then I am not typical and I think more in touch than most - as you may have gathered, I am not originally English, just DH is, hence we are here).
But there is also a big difference between somebody who is coming out of Hasmonean and somebody who is coming out of, say an American public school and been through NCSY which has made her frum (assuming they are still doing that). If somebody is BT and American - would their parents be paying the kind of incredible tuition fees that American frum schools require (sorry, looking at it from an English point of view where we are paying £5000 voluntary contribution a year, and those who can't afford it are paying less)? So I suppose I was assuming that if the school is appealing to girls who are BT at 17/18, they won't have had the kind of American level Jewish education you are talking about, but maybe I am thinking of the wrong sort of group - things may have completely changed.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 08 2023, 1:56 pm
Elfrida wrote:
A very few seminaries open in Elul, but mostly they start in September. A lot of the American girls will be spending time in camp in the summer, and the system is set up to accommodate that.

On the bright side, that means she will be in England when A-level results come out, and on the spot to deal with any issues with her results, or clearing if necessary.

Clearing is only of relevance if one wants to go to university right away. If she applies to university it would be for a deferred place (ie to start Sept 2025), and if she lost it, then she would just reapply in autumn/winter 2024-2025 to start Sept 2025, or think about retaking (but that would make Sem very difficult). If we needed to appeal the A grade result it might be useful to be here, I guess, and we probably would try to be here, but if we are set on Sem, then no point engaging with Clearing.

amother
Camellia

Post Sun, Jan 08 2023, 2:02 pm
So DH teaches in some of them. The Rova is NOT more left wing! Yes it's Zionistic but in a very frum way. Girls dress Tzniusdik and the Israeli girls are a good influence (quite frum). They learn Halacha, and many important subjects! Maybe Or Torah - Lindenbaum is more open. But more academic.. As far as academics... the girls don't follow the source sheets the way we used to. You can't compare the level of 10 (or even less) yrs ago to today. Sad but true

JuGold

Post Sun, Jan 08 2023, 2:30 pm
https://www.emunahvomanut.org/

this might be a good fit for her

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 08 2023, 2:34 pm
simcha2 wrote:
Also Israelnextyear.org is a great resource

Oh yes indeed it is.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 08 2023, 2:35 pm
amother Camellia wrote:
So DH teaches in some of them. The Rova is NOT more left wing! Yes it's Zionistic but in a very frum way. Girls dress Tzniusdik and the Israeli girls are a good influence (quite frum). They learn Halacha, and many important subjects! Maybe Or Torah - Lindenbaum is more open. But more academic.. As far as academics... the girls don't follow the source sheets the way we used to. You can't compare the level of 10 (or even less) yrs ago to today. Sad but true

Are you saying that the level has dropped in more recent years (I am assuming among Americans)? If so, why do you think that is?

amother
Forestgreen

Post Sun, Jan 08 2023, 2:42 pm
amother OP wrote:
Ah - Yes, just looked at Machon Ma'ayan - they have a Community Chessed and Internship program - and in the brochure they include "Equestrian therapy" and "Educational Farm" - the latter is apparently in Ashdod and they travel there weekly. Sounds like they are open to other options as well.

Now that is very interesting. Can you ask your DDs how the internships worked? Are they just once a week or more often? What is the timetable otherwise like? The thing about DD is that she is quite capable academically (not brilliant, but capable), and is working very hard on her A levels because she knows that is what is required, and her kodesh teachers are very positive about her (and give her very good grades). It is just that I don't think she is passionate (at least at the moment) about spending lots of time in the beis medrish, she is passionate about being outdoors and looking after living things.

Are there a lot of BTs and/or party girls at Ma'ayan? Is that the reputation? DD will just ignore the party girls, she has absolutely no interest (but might be lonely if that is all there is). Is there some level of streaming though if girls are also coming with very limited background? After what, 13 years (plus nursery) of Jewish schooling in top sets throughout, one would think she has learnt something and I wouldn't want her not to be challenged either.

Does sound like Ma'ayan is one to add to the possibles list (which is all I am trying to do at the moment, cast the net widely)

My DDs loved Machon Ma’ayan. I cannot say enough good things.
Internships are Monday and Wednesday afternoons and Thursday is trip day-always. They are out of the classroom and go on amazing trips, in regard to religion/times of the Beit Hamikdash, Zionism/the beginning of the state of Israel, current culture and agriculture, chessed, and some fun.
The students are about 70% Yeshiva day school graduates (my DD have been in Yeshiva Day school from preK-grade 12) and about 30% NCSY BTs. The NCSY girls are a mix, some very academic, smart, and learned (one particular one can run circles around anyone I know, is currently at Yale and would like to be a Yoetzet Halacha) and some early in their learning. They are all very driven and have overcome obstacles to get there, often their own parents, and take nothing for granted. Personally I think they add a wonderful element which benefits everyone. There are classes on many different levels. My DDs can learn Gemara with the best of them, having learned Gemara since 6 grade and been in honors classes. One of my girls speaks fluent Hebrew (the other is shyer and afraid to put herself out there which is how you learn). They have high level classes, regular, and beginners.
Regarding a party school, it is really not, but the girls do have more freedom and responsibility than in other schools, especially being located on a campus in the middle of nowhere. It tends to attract an handful (about 5-7 girls per year). Some of them are gone by the end of the Yom tovim, some mature, and a few coast. They are really not a problem or influence for the 80 other girls. The school is more concerned with the welfare of the students and their growth than “their reputation”, so they are much quicker to provide them with love and support than to kick them out, which has sometimes generated a more open minded reputation.

I hope this helps. I don’t know if it is the right place for your daughter, but it is definitely a place worth exploring.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 08 2023, 4:14 pm
amother Forestgreen wrote:
My DDs loved Machon Ma’ayan. I cannot say enough good things.
Internships are Monday and Wednesday afternoons and Thursday is trip day-always. They are out of the classroom and go on amazing trips, in regard to religion/times of the Beit Hamikdash, Zionism/the beginning of the state of Israel, current culture and agriculture, chessed, and some fun.
The students are about 70% Yeshiva day school graduates (my DD have been in Yeshiva Day school from preK-grade 12) and about 30% NCSY BTs. The NCSY girls are a mix, some very academic, smart, and learned (one particular one can run circles around anyone I know, is currently at Yale and would like to be a Yoetzet Halacha) and some early in their learning. They are all very driven and have overcome obstacles to get there, often their own parents, and take nothing for granted. Personally I think they add a wonderful element which benefits everyone. There are classes on many different levels. My DDs can learn Gemara with the best of them, having learned Gemara since 6 grade and been in honors classes. One of my girls speaks fluent Hebrew (the other is shyer and afraid to put herself out there which is how you learn). They have high level classes, regular, and beginners.

Regarding a party school, it is really not, but the girls do have more freedom and responsibility than in other schools, especially being located on a campus in the middle of nowhere. It tends to attract an handful (about 5-7 girls per year). Some of them are gone by the end of the Yom tovim, some mature, and a few coast. They are really not a problem or influence for the 80 other girls. The school is more concerned with the welfare of the students and their growth than “their reputation”, so they are much quicker to provide them with love and support than to kick them out, which has sometimes generated a more open minded reputation.

I hope this helps. I don’t know if it is the right place for your daughter, but it is definitely a place worth exploring.

Thank you very much! Definitely will add it to the list to look at. Could see it being a good fit. But of course she might want to be in Yerushalayim or want to go where her friends are going, or whatever and decide those were priorities for her. I just want her to have as many good options in front of her as possible and not miss things because we are looking too narrowly.

Batyah85

Post Sun, Jan 08 2023, 7:10 pm
Maybe check out Nishmat

Batsheva1

Post Sun, Jan 08 2023, 7:51 pm
Batyah85 wrote:
Maybe check out Nishmat
Also VERY academic. Classes are in ivrit and very heavy on gemara. From there the students head to Harvard, Barnard, and Princeton.

simcha2

Post Sun, Jan 08 2023, 8:36 pm
Batsheva1 wrote:
Also VERY academic. Classes are in ivrit and very heavy on gemara. From there the students head to Harvard, Barnard, and Princeton.

Nishmat is starting an English language program this year called Liba. (But yes, still very academic).

salt

Post Mon, Jan 09 2023, 1:24 am
amother Plum wrote:
How about midreshet Amit? not so academic plus able to speak with Israeli kids during chesed. I would suggest tiferet also but she would not be speaking any Hebrew there. Not so academic plus English girls come

I second Tiferet. It's in Beit Shemesh or Ramat Beit Shemesh.

bostonuser

Post Tue, Jan 10 2023, 4:01 pm
You can see the list of most of the MO seminaries here on their common application: https://www.applytosem.org/

(Several of them have been mentioned already.)

The main seminary people from my MO community apply to that isn't on the list is Bnei Akiva MTVA.

amother
Burgundy

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 4:28 pm
MMY is one of the few sems on this list that has tests...
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Seminary Info