Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Apples... again!

girliesmommy

Post Thu, Oct 06 2005, 3:17 am
I know most of you probably can't bear the thought of cooking anything else with apples, but maybe you can help me!

What was the best (easy) thing you made with apples this Rosh Hashana? (Preferably something that freezes well.)

We had a Rosh Hashana program for the community and cored and sliced about 60 apples. Although we had a great turnout, I still have about 40 left! They are still good since we sprinkled them with lemon juice, but they are taking up a ton of room in my fridge.

Any suggestions? Everyone loved the apple kugel from the KBD (apple kugel muffins - just baked in a 9x13) but if someone can suggest something else good... I'll be off to start baking!

Thanks a ton!

sarahd

Post Thu, Oct 06 2005, 4:24 am
How about apple crisp? It freezes very well and is a nice warm dessert to have in the sukkah or any time in the winter. If you're interested, I'll get out my recipe.

lucky

Post Thu, Oct 06 2005, 9:25 am
cook it with some frozen strawberries and sugar for a delicious compote/dessert.

Post Thu, Oct 06 2005, 12:45 pm
good ole' apple pie? I think Kosher palette has a recipe for "enclosed apple pie w/ caramel sauce" - YUM!

mommy2

Post Thu, Oct 06 2005, 1:26 pm
could I have the recipe for apple crisp?

sarahd

Post Fri, Oct 07 2005, 5:55 am
Apple Crisp

8-9 large apples, peeled and cut into chunks

3/4 c. flour
1/2 c. sugar
1/2 c. brown sugar (recipe says light brown firmly packed, but I always use browunulated and it's fine)
1 stick cold margarine, cubed
pinch of cinnamon, nutmeg and salt

1/2 c. chopped pecans or walnuts (pecans taste much better) - you can leave this out if you're still not eating nuts.

Combine the flour, sugars and spices and cut in the margarine, preferably with a pastry blender but you can use your fingers or two knives too, till the mixture is crumbly, but you can still see little pieces of butter. Fill a greased 8" casserole or baking dish about halfway with apples, cover generously with flour mixture and repeat using the rest of the apples and crumb mixture. (The apples should come higher than the dish, but they'll shrink during baking.) Cover and bake at 350° for half an hour, remove the cover and bake an additional half hour or until the topping is golden brown and looks dry.

This can be frozen, well-wrapped, and then thawed and rewarmed at 350° for 20-30 minutes.

Ima-to-angels

Post Sun, Oct 09 2005, 6:10 am
Apple Sauce - cook with sugar (brown if u prefer) and raisins (optional). Freezes really well, good with meat/chicken.

girliesmommy

Post Sun, Oct 09 2005, 7:36 am
Thanks everyone for the suggestions!
Actually, a very kind individual offered to take the apples from me and make me something with them... so we had yummy apple pies for Shabbos!
But, I still have bags of uncut apples, so I'm going to try the apple crisp recipe and I think I'll make some applesauce too!
Thanks again!!!

RivkaS

Post Mon, Oct 17 2005, 3:46 am
Ima-to-angels wrote:
Apple Sauce - cook with sugar (brown if u prefer) and raisins (optional). Freezes really well, good with meat/chicken.

If there are still apples left - Apple Compote - cut apples into cubes, add sugar or fructose to taste, add either cinnamon sticks or vanilla and since the lemon is already in it you only need to add a little water and cook it - under supervision! - for 30 minutes.
I don't know if it freezes, but usually that is not nesseccary.... Wink
Rivka
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics