Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Poor person doing a rich project. Please help!
Previous  1  2

amother
Hunter

Post Sun, Jan 08 2023, 1:35 pm
Are you in Brooklyn? If so I would love to help you.

amother
Lightblue

Post Sun, Jan 08 2023, 1:50 pm
Some if this has already been said

Paint- it's a small space get good quality semi gloss or satin finish paint for washability. Wallpaper is a goon in between option too.

Fixtures & sinks I did really well on off brand Amazon, sometimes from Amazon warehouse which is open box/ returns for cheaper. Check reviews.

Tiles I would first try local non fancy lumber yards & hardware stores, they don't have much selection but sometimes have bulk purchased basic nice tiles for a very good price. Big box stores are a next option but try local small stores first. If you post location you may get recommendations.

Shower/ bath you can get waterproof enclosure for cheap, no need to tile the wall.

I have pedestal sinks & wall cabinets, no base cabinets as those tend to fall apart if cheap. Wall mirrored cabinets are not too expensive.

Toilet & bathtubs I've only ever had cheap ones from home depot, no issues. No need to overspend there.

amother
Candycane

Post Sun, Jan 08 2023, 2:21 pm
Please do not do a two piece fiberglass tub enclosure instead of tile. It is cheaper now but its not cheaper later when it either cracks and needs to be replaced or water gets between the pieces and mold grows. Tiles are a much smarter option. They aren't just for beauty.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 08 2023, 2:23 pm
We do have a plan. There's the bathtub and toilet sharing a wall and the vanity is perpendicular (after the door).
How much tiling is needed?
Are there any parts that could be pushed off to later (my husband is handy and can do basic things)?
How do I know if something is real wood - what key words am I looking for?
How much is a good price for tiles?
Are wall tiles and floor tiles different?
Do size or style of tiles cost more at the store or in labor?

amother
Lightblue

Post Sun, Jan 08 2023, 2:46 pm
amother OP wrote:
We do have a plan. There's the bathtub and toilet sharing a wall and the vanity is perpendicular (after the door).
Are there any parts that could be pushed off to later (my husband is handy and can do basic things)?

How much tiles- take measurements & ask the store

Labor is the more expensive part. You can do a cheap vinyl floor if you want & skip the tile altogether.

Re real wood- avoid particleboard, anything with foil in the description. There are probably more code words I don't know.

If your husband is handy he should be able to install a toilet, cabinets, vinyl floor, connect fixtures, hang cabinets, paint. You need a professional for plumbing & waterproofing, electrical, probably drywall.

amother
Molasses

Post Sun, Jan 08 2023, 2:53 pm
amother OP wrote:

These are things the contractor should/could answer
He would be able to tell you how much you can spend on tile-vanity- tub
He should know how much is the installation since he is the one doing the work
My contractor told me up to $x/sf is ok to spend to stay with in my budget

Amarante

Post Sun, Jan 08 2023, 3:25 pm
Frankly the way that your contractor is operating raises red flags with me. I did a complete gut remodel including two baths and a kitchen and I did a lot of research in terms of making sure it wasn't a disaster.

First I don't understand why your GC doesn't order for you. Whoever orders the material is responsible for them being correct and arriving on time. The amount of tile you order is going to depend on the tiles you select and the pattern you use. Not all tile is created equal and some cheap tile can be very difficult to install with satisfactory results because of excess lippage.

Who is this person using for electrical and plumbing? Are they licensed? Also generally for plumbing there is what is called "rough" and then the fixtures that you see. The plumber will generally order the rough based on the fixtures you have ordered and so will be responsible for making sure they are correct and not defective. Sometimes they will also order the actual fixtures because often they get better pricing than you would even with the markup they typically charge when they order.

Tiles used in a bathroom need to be okay for use in a wet environment. Tiles on the floor need to be graded so that they are not slippery when wet. In general if you use smaller tiles with more grout they will not be as slippery potentially since grout provides a surface that is grippy.

Someone mentioned that an prefabricated enclosure would break. That isn't true as I had one circa 1965 when I moved in. It was fine structurally until I remodeled in 2018 and installed tiled showers. Obviously I didn't own it since 1965. It is not as upscale or pretty as a tiled shower but it is cheaper to install and also doesn't require skilled expensive labor as a tiled shower does - both to build the shower; waterproof the floor and walls properly and then to actually tile so that it doesn't look like a blind person tiled. If you are on a budget, check out modern enclosures and compare the cost of having a quality shower built - for example a tiled shower built properly would cost about $7000 at least.

Last edited by Amarante on Sun, Jan 08 2023, 5:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Molasses

Post Sun, Jan 08 2023, 3:58 pm
Op- you said you might be able to salvage the toilet
Is the bathtub salvageable

I saw something called Mirroflex Tub kit
It’s vinyl that is used for the walls around the tub
This could save you considerable amount of money
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4veaxDpGeYE

tichellady

Post Sun, Jan 08 2023, 4:06 pm
agree that given your budget you need a prefab shower. someone mentioned that you need a real wood vanity but I don't believe that's true. I was told solid wood doesn't do great with moisture and plywood is better. good luck! have you gone to a bathroom showroom and told them you want low budget things and see what they suggest?

librarygirl

Post Sun, Jan 08 2023, 4:15 pm
You can get nice tile for under $5 a square foot and maybe as low as $2. My local frum plumbing supply store owner does not recommend Kohler. Toto is good. Amazon has cheap hardware from china. Wayfair has cheap vanities. Make sure the openings are cut for your faucet. If you are having separate hot and cold faucets you probably want to search for 8" widespread

amother
Bone

Post Sun, Jan 08 2023, 4:45 pm
librarygirl wrote:
You can get nice tile for under $5 a square foot and maybe as low as $2. My local frum plumbing supply store owner does not recommend Kohler. Toto is good. Amazon has cheap hardware from china. Wayfair has cheap vanities. Make sure the openings are cut for your faucet. If you are having separate hot and cold faucets you probably want to search for 8" widespread

The local stores are not the best place to get recommendations on what brand to buy. They may give you the idea they're helping you save money by suggesting you buy a cheaper product, when in fact they're making more profit on the cheaper product. I have kohler products and they've lasted well and show almost no wear and tear. As far as I know Kohler is a company that stands behind their products and replacement parts, if you need them, are readily available. I can't be sure about that last part because I haven't needed repairs, but that's what I've heard.

Amarante

Post Sun, Jan 08 2023, 5:38 pm
tichellady wrote:
agree that given your budget you need a prefab shower. someone mentioned that you need a real wood vanity but I don't believe that's true. I was told solid wood doesn't do great with moisture and plywood is better. good luck! have you gone to a bathroom showroom and told them you want low budget things and see what they suggest?

Plywood isn't better than solid wood as plywood can delaminate if really wet.

I don't think any vanity would survive being flooded but most bathroom vanities - whatever they are constructed of would survive normal use.

The finish might be more problematic if someone is continually dripping water on the doors - but that is extreme abuse.

librarygirl

Post Sun, Jan 08 2023, 5:49 pm
amother Bone wrote:
The local stores are not the best place to get recommendations on what brand to buy. They may give you the idea they're helping you save money by suggesting you buy a cheaper product, when in fact they're making more profit on the cheaper product. I have kohler products and they've lasted well and show almost no wear and tear. As far as I know Kohler is a company that stands behind their products and replacement parts, if you need them, are readily available. I can't be sure about that last part because I haven't needed repairs, but that's what I've heard.

He is an Ehrlich guy and I trust what he says but obviously this is all hearsay. Anecdotally I have an old kohler in my house that is always giving me trouble. I have always heard that toto is the best but it must have sanagloss.

ectomorph

Post Sun, Jan 08 2023, 6:18 pm
I know absolutely nothing, I never have renovated anything. ..

I do love thrift shops, sometimes they have things for just a few dollars. It's not going to look gorgeous or last forever.

Crookshanks

Post Sun, Jan 08 2023, 6:57 pm
Try habitat for humanity for a vanity.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Mon, Jan 09 2023, 3:09 am
amother OP wrote:
So I need tile for the floor and for around the shower and maybe halfway up the wall? any advice on this?
I want tile that is inexpensive and easy to clean, I don't love stark white to be honest.
Do I need different tiles for the floor and the shower? How do I know what matches?

The contractor said he will give me the dimensions of everything I need to buy.
If I don't buy a vanity from Home depot (we already have one in another bathroom that is falling apart) where do I buy one? How do I know what quality it is or if its worth the money.

The bathroom will have a shower/bathtub combo, a toilet (we may just use the toilet that we have in there now because it wasn't damaged) and a vanity with a mirror and a light.

We have a budget - it was our bar mitzvah budget Sad $15k total.

Lowes has a visualizer tool on the tile that can help you envision what it would look like in the space

When you are on a budget a bath shower combo + floor tile is probably cheapest. I don't think half up is necessary.

amother
Cantaloupe

Post Mon, Jan 09 2023, 6:54 am
Given how much you’re spending on the project, it may be worthwhile to get an interior designer for an hour or two. If you find the right one, she can provide excellent guidance on what goes together and where the decent prices are. You do t want to have regrets. Been there, done that.

shaqued_almond

Post Mon, Jan 09 2023, 7:08 am
If you have Facebook you can find used vanities and tubs for cheap and often they're higher quality. I found a corner tub in good condition for $100 which usually costs 700. You can also check offer up or craigslist.
I'd say get a tub and the wall space along the tub you can tile in simple white tiles with a strip of an accent tile running through it. Then you can paint the wall in the color of the accent. Also about the paint, don't get flat. Satin is better because you can wash off smudges.
The floor tile can be a different tile.
You need to be gentle with plywood vanities because you can't clean the doors with much water.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics