Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
Kabalos for the new year

SV

Post Tue, Oct 11 2005, 9:10 am
There is an idea that one should come up with couple SMALL things to work on or improve oneself in the beginning of a new year (usually, by Yom Kippur). In my previous single life, I would take on things like saying extra 5 minutes of tehillim or learning etc. We dont have any kids, but I work full-time and take care of my husband ( Wink ) so I can't spare even 5 minutes (I'm sure all you mothers out there can relate)...any suggestions of things to take on that dont requiere extra time? It must be small/doable!

sunnymom

Post Tue, Oct 11 2005, 9:22 am
Not always does it have to be something new, but you can even take on to better something you already do... this way you don't add to the list of things that you took on and don't do...
One nice little thing to do is make sure you always have a pile of coins in your kitchen and every morning (and if you want also every time you cook) just give a few pennies to tzedaka, takes no time and it's a great mitzvah.

MMEC123

Post Tue, Oct 11 2005, 10:14 am
I decided to work on my shmiras halashon so I read the lesson a day every morning at breakfast. I'd be eating then anyway so just read at the same time.

Post Tue, Oct 11 2005, 12:58 pm
you could also do things like:
1. having more kavannah when saying a certain bracha (or part of davening)
2. try to call someone who needs to hear a friendly voice once a week or month (call from your cell phone on the way to/from work)
3. SMILE at others

Motek

Post Tue, Oct 11 2005, 4:23 pm
you can say brachos out loud and answer amen to other people's brachos (anybody read the book, "Just One Word - Amen" by Esther Stern? inspirational!)

RivkaS

Post Mon, Oct 17 2005, 7:06 am
I will try to read at least a bit of the Artscroll Zena U'Rena each Shabbat. When your husband anyhow is in shul there should be some time for that.

queen

Post Mon, Oct 17 2005, 7:50 am
small is the name of the game. BUT COMMIT TO KEEPING IT.

like making sure to never walk out of your bedroom without your hair covered. (even if no one is around/for a second)

amother
Tomato

Post Sat, Sep 11 2021, 4:22 pm
I was looking for good ideas of little thing to take on esp during this week of a series yemai tehsuva and I came upon this.
Anyone have any good ideas to add?

s1

Post Sat, Sep 11 2021, 5:10 pm
I am trying to daven brochos every day. I have a Siddur app on my phone to make it more convenient and easier to remember.

Tof Umachol

Post Sat, Sep 11 2021, 6:09 pm
How about inviting people to your Shabbos table?

SuperWify

Post Sat, Sep 11 2021, 8:08 pm
Greet your children/husband with a smile when they come home

1 Mindful Bracha a day / Asher yatzer/ tefillah

No non Jewish music/tv/ movies/ social media (pick one) ect until after sukkot

amother
Candycane

Post Sat, Sep 11 2021, 8:23 pm
amother [ Tomato ] wrote:
I was looking for good ideas of little thing to take on esp during this week of a series yemai tehsuva and I came upon this.
Anyone have any good ideas to add?

I would love to do a 40 day challenge of no watching anything on YouTube. Especially after reading this week’s ‘Turning Point’ in Ami Living. I was really inspired and would love to take on this challenge. Anyone want to join me so we can be mechazek each other?
ETA I’ll do a spin off

https://www.imamother.com/foru.....28036

amother
Lightcyan

Post Sat, Sep 11 2021, 10:02 pm
I took on not wearing a sheitel this year! (Only tichels and hats)
Not an easy kabala but doesnt take any time for me to do:)
I'm very fast at wrapping!

amother
Seafoam

Post Sat, Sep 11 2021, 10:26 pm
amother [ Lightcyan ] wrote:
I took on not wearing a sheitel this year! (Only tichels and hats)
Not an easy kabala but doesnt take any time for me to do:)
I'm very fast at wrapping!

Wow! Kol hakavod!!
THat is mesirus nefesh for a wonderful cause. May Hashem shower brachos upon you and your family.

please, ladies, Let this not devolve into sheitel vs tichel debate.

---an ima who took on not wearing sheitels for a limited time and place in my life.
I do wear my sheitels today, but I have utmost respect for those who don't. It's really hard to go to events with friends, simchas, etc. and be the only tichel wearer.

Kol hakavod to you.

amother
Seafoam

Post Sat, Sep 11 2021, 10:30 pm
I saw the tefilla before technology challenge/idea. I think from meaningful minute.
It's very hard for me to daven.
Bli neder I'm limiting technology (just check email) before Davening until YK.

I also signed up to be a raiser for a very worthy tzedakah organization that has an Aseres Yemei Teshuva campaign. I am NOT a fundraiser at all. It goes against my natureand I'm not very good at it because I don't like approaching ppl directly. But I feel that whatever I DO manage to raise is kedai.
May it be a zechus for me and my family.

amother
Seafoam

Post Sat, Sep 11 2021, 10:33 pm
I try to take on two small kabalos on for the year.
One in bein adam lamakom, one lachaveiro.

I succeeded in my minute laMakom tefillah related kabbalah. Very Happy
I failed at my minute lachaveiro shalom bayis related kabbalah. Sad

I am going to try this year, again, that laMakom will be tefilla related, but lachaveiro will be parenting related.

amother
Tomato

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 5:45 am
Kol hakavod to all of you!
Amother Seafoam I'd like to hear your ideas for bein adam lamakom!
(shalom bayis and with kids)

amother
Lightcyan

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 9:02 am
Definitely not looking to start any debate on the topic! Just my personal kabala- I just meant that even though any kabala is hard in the area of tznius it doesn't really take time. It's just a change of dress but it's supposed to bring huge merits (probably because it's so difficult)
(Fyi it is really hard to go to shul or a simcha in a tichel but bh I found that so many women were very encouraging and complimentary)

Another kabala I'm trying that only takes a few extra seconds is to try to have more kavana during my brachos- to be more thankful

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 9:16 am
Loving and thanking Hashem more

amother
Seafoam

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 6:51 pm
amother [ Tomato ] wrote:
Kol hakavod to all of you!
Amother Seafoam I'd like to hear your ideas for bein adam lamakom!
(shalom bayis and with kids)

Lachaveiro?

Fail was not criticizing dhs driving for first 15 min of any drive.

The past few months, I've becoming a screaming witch with My kids. Especially one who pushed buttons. Like abusive Crying
I'm going to try not saying really mean thugs to him when I've lost it. (Try not to lose it!!!)
I need to figure out a time to do it. Like, I'm going to be in control of myself when dealing with B from 7-8 pm.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur