Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
For those with teen boys, are you always cooking?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 09 2023, 6:46 pm
I make tons of food for dinner. I usually make protein so salmon, schnitzel, hamburgers, and a variety of dishes with that.
I can't keep up with how much growing boys eat. They'll eat a whole pan of schnitzel or 3-4 pieces of chicken bottoms, 3-4 hamburgers etc.

The sides I don't care cuz rice and potatoes and veggies are cheaper. But I can't afford to make double the protein!!

Do you cook double the amount if you have teen sons? Otherwise they'll eat the whole dinner!
How do you have time and money for that?
Please share tips and tricks!

amother
Almond

Post Mon, Jan 09 2023, 6:51 pm
My teens bh eat supper #1 in Yeshiva.

Supper # 2 is usually a sandwich for 1 ds.

The other DS wants meat. He will eat split pea soup with beef. I make a big batch and freeze. He will eat it twice a week.

keym

Post Mon, Jan 09 2023, 7:23 pm
Yes.
They don't stop.
It's what matters/what you can afford.
My boys end up eating carb-heavy in yeshiva. Bread, cereal, pasta.
So I'd rather that they eat the chicken, schnitzel, meatballs, etc. And also fruits and vegetables.
But if money is tight, then direct them towards the sides.
But yes, they don't stop eating.
Both my teen boys eat supper at 6 in yeshiva. They come home at 9:30/10 and empty my fridge of all the leftovers.
My friends have the same experience.

asmileaday

Post Mon, Jan 09 2023, 7:48 pm
Just to answer your post title, no.
My teen boys eat supper in yeshiva which most days they claim is not to their liking but they don't eat a lot when they get home either. Definitely not my supper proteins.
Really wouldn't mind if they did though. Yeshiva diet is loaded with carbs.

Op maybe have soups in the freezer they can pull out and microwave anytime they're hungry?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Jan 09 2023, 7:53 pm
When my boys are home they generally cook for themselves for everything outside dinner time.
Like shakshuka, canned soup, fancy sandwiches/wraps, heat up frozen food. I don't have time to do extra cooking for them, I'll just add more food to supper though or have them do it (e.g. they'll make poppers or roll meatballs which is way too much work for me in the quantities they need)

amother
Pansy

Post Mon, Jan 09 2023, 7:58 pm
My sons are the sun in my darkness the light in my life the joy in my existence. They are absolute food vacuum cleaners. When they are eating their primary supper at home it’s soup first, then an appropriate size of protein (no I don’t provide three pieces of chicken per bachur) then a starch side dish a cooked vegetable and salad. When we have finished food service I leave the bekelach on the counter and hubby throws out the (generally empty) pans when he comes home (elevenish)

amother
Bronze

Post Mon, Jan 09 2023, 8:03 pm
amother OP wrote:
I make tons of food for dinner. I usually make protein so salmon, schnitzel, hamburgers, and a variety of dishes with that.
I can't keep up with how much growing boys eat. They'll eat a whole pan of schnitzel or 3-4 pieces of chicken bottoms, 3-4 hamburgers etc.

The sides I don't care cuz rice and potatoes and veggies are cheaper. But I can't afford to make double the protein!!

Do you cook double the amount if you have teen sons? Otherwise they'll eat the whole dinner!
How do you have time and money for that?
Please share tips and tricks!

Then make a limited amount of protein and fill them up more with soups, salads, appetizers (not meat) and the Sides.

AlwaysGrateful

Post Mon, Jan 09 2023, 9:34 pm
amother Pansy wrote:
My sons are the sun in my darkness the light in my life the joy in my existence. They are absolute food vacuum cleaners.

I love love love this.

My high school aged son eats at yeshiva and generally doesn't eat much when he comes home at night. (I think he doesn't know it's an option.) But when he's home for dinner, yes, he eats more than several adults put together.

I have several younger kids who eat a lot too. Just a high metabolism, I guess. They know, even at age 7 or so, to eyeball what's in the pan and only take a portion that will leave enough for everyone else. If there is a small amount of something left, and they want seconds, they will often say "Does anyone else want this?" before they take it. I think it's good middos to teach them this.

B"H we have plenty of food. But we do have a budget that doesn't include each kid eating four chicken thighs. Which they would easily do if unchecked. So I make enough for each person to have a reasonable amount of the main, and then I make enough of the cheaper sides that everyone is full without my bank account dropping several hundred dollars a meal.

essie14

Post Tue, Jan 10 2023, 2:51 am
I have 3 boys and a girl who eats almost as much as the boys, plus me and DH.
Everyone eats dinner at home every night.
I cook huge quantities. 4 kilo of chicken, meatballs from 3 kilo of ground beef, etc. Huge pots of soup. I buy dozens of eggs every week, insane amounts of vegetables.
I always have lots of deli meat in the fridge and frozen food (like shnitzel, vegetable patties, ready to heat meals) in the freezer and bread for sandwiches.
If I limit what I cook they will just clear out my freezer.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Tue, Jan 10 2023, 11:09 am
Start with a soup as 1st course plus bread.
Main course is protein plus starch and maybe another vegetable dish.
You don't have to provide multiple schnitzels or chicken bottoms per person if money is an issue. They eat several pieces of protein because it's available.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics