Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
How do you begin moving out of town?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 11 2023, 10:29 am
Like what do I research. The area? The schools? I feel lost. I want to leave NY but I don't even know where to. Husband wants me to present him with the viable options like he won't take me seriously otherwise. We are chabad I feel really limited in where we can even go.

hadassah12378

Post Wed, Jan 11 2023, 10:37 am
amother OP wrote:
Like what do I research. The area? The schools? I feel lost. I want to leave NY but I don't even know where to. Husband wants me to present him with the viable options like he won't take me seriously otherwise. We are chabad I feel really limited in where we can even go.

you can pm me I have an option for you

mollie21

Post Wed, Jan 11 2023, 10:38 am
In the suburbs of Philly (bala, Merion Station, Narberth) there's a pretty strong chabad presence I think, especially for younger families. There's no Chabad high schools though I don't believe. There's also a lot more of MO, and yeshivish shuls and kollels, and schools (K-8 and high schools). Definitely out of town though, so when I say a lot, I mean 5 or 6 shuls and 3 or 4 high schools. Pm me if you want to know anything about the community, I grew up there and loved it!

gibberish

Post Wed, Jan 11 2023, 10:40 am
Do you have friends or family in another community that may interest you? If so, start there

mha3484

Post Wed, Jan 11 2023, 10:41 am
Start with what you can afford. I am not Chabad but I have had a lot of Chabad neighbors and acquaintances and they all really like it in Chicago but the housing is pretty expensive so no point recommending it if its too much for you.

amother
Valerian

Post Wed, Jan 11 2023, 10:41 am
There is an amazing Chabad community in Kingston, PA.

It’s affordable and close enough to NY when you need to travel.

amother
Bergamot

Post Wed, Jan 11 2023, 10:42 am
Baltimore has a strong chabad community.
shuls, schools and yeshivah.

amother
Cognac

Post Wed, Jan 11 2023, 10:45 am
First 2 things you need to look for
Work and School
Once those things are in place everything else falls right along
Because you are Chabad you are not limited
There are A Lot of Chabad houses every where
And you ll be spreading chassidus

finprof

Post Wed, Jan 11 2023, 10:47 am
There are large Chabad communities in Kingston, PA and Overbrook Park (Philly suburb). Both are very affordable!

cookier

Post Wed, Jan 11 2023, 11:17 am
Figure out what your dealbreakers are first.

-do you only want to send to Chabad schools? Are you willing to send high schoolers out for boarding?
-do you sent infants/toddlers to babysitters? What are your needs for this regarding full-day/half/day, licensing, etc.
-are either of you limited by your jobs?
-what cost of living can you afford and will your jobs pay enough in that area to meet it? Here you should take into account housing hosts as well as food cost, transportation (do you need to buy a car or a second car?).
-do you need or are you willing to live somewhere based off tuition assistance, like vouchers?
-do you need it to be in driving distance or a short flight to NY?
-do you really want to move som here warmer?

Once you’ve answered those, you can start researching. Most communities have a web page that lists directories of mosdos that is a good place to start. Just Google “Jewish community [state or city]”
Then you can go into things you’d like to have: restaurants for date nights? Shul options? Frum-accommodating JCC programs, etc.

I’ve done a lot of research into most of the OOT communities to try to convince my own husband, so if you can answer a few of the questions, I can point you toward some options.

amother
DarkOrange

Post Wed, Jan 11 2023, 11:39 am
Lol that you're limited because you're chabad! Smile

LA has all the chabad institutions and amenities, for kids preschool through beis medrash, but it's really unaffordable place to live.

Detroit seems to have a very strong chabad presence.
Cleveland does not. (Although they have a 770 looking building)

lamplighter

Post Wed, Jan 11 2023, 11:47 am
Can you work anywhere? If the answer is no then first find out where you can have a job?

Do you want a place with chabad schooling through high school? If the answer I'd yes cross out all the places that don't have full chabaf options.

Do you need to be close to NY?

Do you care about the weather or the political leanings of the state?

How much money can you afford to spend on a house, tuition, and the OOT lifestyle.

Some chabad OOT options:

Kingston PA
Hillside NJ
Pomona/Monsey
Chicago
Detroit
Las Vegas
LA
Houston
Miami
Ft Lauderdale
Baltimore
Philadelphia
New Haven

(I'm sure there are more but those are on the top of my head).

amother
Bone

Post Wed, Jan 11 2023, 11:48 am
Cleveland has a large chabad shul (my sister married a chabad guy)

amother
Blueberry

Post Wed, Jan 11 2023, 11:55 am
Pittsburgh has a large chabad presence and chabad school boys and girls infant thru highschool/beis medrash. And it's a fairly low cost of living here, you can get a 4 bedroom house for under 300k with a yard and plenty of space.

GLUE

Post Wed, Jan 11 2023, 12:59 pm
Is there any place you can go to, like a web site that lists Chabad communities with contact info?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating