Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Hosting a family for shabbos- send help

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 11 2023, 1:50 pm
I'm a bit overwhelmed and need your advice.

We just invited family friends with a bunch of children of all ages over to spend shabbos by our house.

I'm not particularly close with the wife but we've always gotten along well when we've spent time together.

Why did we invite them...long story, but I'm a bit intimidated by the amount I have to cook and prepare for shabbos.

yes, she offered to bring food. so shes bringing a potato kugel. wonderful. now I have everything else to prepare. don't get me wrong, im happy to host but the food part stresses me out. I only have a few days to prepare so bring on all the ideas and advice.

Meals: I only have a few small kids who don't eat alot so I'm really not sure what to make for her big kids (up to age 12/13). Id rather make a lot of options knowing they all have what to eat than have hungry guests. give me some more interesting ideas and some basics that I can't go wrong with. all three meals!

any advice on what I should just have around the house.. like extra cookies for snacking on? never had a family this size for shabbos.. had plenty for one meal but thats it!

and yes, I feel the need to impress. I'm not usually like that, but this circumstance calls for it.

amother
Coffee

Post Wed, Jan 11 2023, 2:30 pm
Betweencarpools.com has some great one bowl cake and cookie recipes. I make these 2 all the time and they're great.
https://betweencarpools.com/th.....icks/
https://betweencarpools.com/9x13-marble-cake/

I would also consider buying some things to make it easier. If you don't have time, buying challos etc will make life easier.

Make easy salads such as cucumber salad or coleslaw which can be made in advance. You could also buy checked lettuce and make a simple lettuce salad, which can be made just before the meal.

Suggested very simple and relatively traditional menu which can be added to.

Friday night
First course
-Challos (plus dips if you would make)
-Fish-gefilte fish and salmon
Second course
-Soup
Main course
-Kugel/potatoes/rice
-Chicken (you could have shnitzel as well as on the bone for variety)
Dessert
-ice cream for dessert

Shabbos day
First course
-Challos (plus dips if you would make)
-egg
-liver
Main course
-cholent
-kugel
-shnitzel
Dessert
-ice cream

Seuda shlishis (light meal)
-challos (plus dips if you would make)
-potato or pasta salad served cold
-cut up fruit and veg
-salmon or other fish

yachnabobba

Post Wed, Jan 11 2023, 2:53 pm
Deli roll is relatively easy and looks impressive
is good for erev Shabbos and Shabbos day seuda

amother
Magnolia

Post Wed, Jan 11 2023, 2:58 pm
Have some cereal and/or yoghurt on hand for breakfast.

As a frequent host with lots of repeat guests, I suggest simple food with fun dessert.

So for Friday night, I might serve a big chicken soup, roast chicken, rice, and a big green salad. You can add roast vegetables, cranberry crunch or sweet potatoes if you like. Cake and cut fruit for dessert.

For lunch, you can serve fish and salad for a first course, followed by grilled chicken or schnitzel, potato kugel, cholent and vegetables, raw or cooked.
Again, cake and fruit for dessert.

Shalosh seudos can be challah and tuna fish, with options of peanut butter and jelly. Serve with cut fresh carrots, celery, and peppers.

Make sure you have lots of paper napkins, plastic cups and tissues on hand.

Most importantly, enjoy your company. Food is important, but it's feeling welcome that makes for a great shabbos.

amother
Birch

Post Wed, Jan 11 2023, 3:09 pm
Call the mother and ask her what her kids like to eat.
Sometimes my kids eat nothing when we're invited!
Lots of challa and dips
Shnitzel
Most kids like chulent but again ask the mother!!

scintilla

Post Wed, Jan 11 2023, 3:12 pm
Do you have the cookbook dinner done? So many quick and easy recipes there. The brownies, lotus blondies, "fabulous rice", shnitzel (basically just mix the crumbs in with oil and put the chicken straight in there, then bake it, cuts the time down by a LOT and it's very close to the real version!), so much else...All those things I just listed can be made in the oven in a disposable 9x13 so you can mix and stick in the oven & keep going with your day.

If you're not buying dips, I would make some really easy basic ones. Garlic confit is no effort, a quick olive dip with just olives & mayo is super easy, grilled eggplant you can even do in the oven, etc.

If you have the budget for salmon as well as gefilte fish, that's really easy too.

And don't worry too much! Have food on hand but don't go overboard. I'm sure you will all have a great time!

amother
Pistachio

Post Wed, Jan 11 2023, 3:18 pm
Here are some things you can add to meal for either day that are easy and usually a hit here. These are minimal patchke for maximum visual appeal:

Salmon Gefilte Fish (Fill large pot with water and add one or two rolls of frozen salmon gefilte in the wrapper. Add 1 teaspoon sugar or more depending on family tradition. Toss in a handful of baby carrots and a large chopped onion. Boil in paper for 1 hour 15 mins.) Chill. Serve with red chrain and dill sauce.

Mezze Platter (Buy Tuv Taam Bourekas and Cigars. Heat and serve on platter with chumus and Israeli salad in the middle)

Meat Board (Buy Deli, salami, and Beef Jerky and serve arranged on large platter with mustard, mini pickles, and mini knishes) Garnish with tomatoes and mini peppers.

Corn flakes crumb chicken (Place raw on tray, sprinkle with garlic powder, salt, pepper. Shake crumbs, turn and cover back of pieces. Bake at 350 for an hour. Go heavy on drumsticks for kids)

Baked rice (put one part water to one part rice in pan. Add half packet onion soup mix, sliced mushrooms, Tablespoon of olive oil. Bake tightly covered with foil at 400 for one hour fifteen minutes)

Salad with arugula, cut apples, honey nuts, croutons, raisins or craisins. Top with bottled dressing or make your own with 2 parts apple vinegar to 1 part olive oil, 1 Tablespoon dijon mustard, and 2 Tablespoons apple juice or cider. Sprinkle in a teaspoon of dried mixed herbs (oregano, dill, thyme) and 2 Tablespoons of honey. Mix well and dress immediately before serving.

Brownie topped with two kinds of fruit sorbet. Cut brownies in square and then cut into triangles. Stack on individual plates and top with two small scoops of sorbet. Halve a strawberry and use for garnish. Sprinkle with cocoa powder and serve.

amother
NeonGreen

Post Wed, Jan 11 2023, 3:21 pm
amother OP wrote:
I'm a bit overwhelmed and need your advice.

We just invited family friends with a bunch of children of all ages over to spend shabbos by our house.

I'm not particularly close with the wife but we've always gotten along well when we've spent time together.

Why did we invite them...long story, but I'm a bit intimidated by the amount I have to cook and prepare for shabbos.

yes, she offered to bring food. so shes bringing a potato kugel. wonderful. now I have everything else to prepare. don't get me wrong, im happy to host but the food part stresses me out. I only have a few days to prepare so bring on all the ideas and advice.

Meals: I only have a few small kids who don't eat alot so I'm really not sure what to make for her big kids (up to age 12/13). Id rather make a lot of options knowing they all have what to eat than have hungry guests. give me some more interesting ideas and some basics that I can't go wrong with. all three meals!

any advice on what I should just have around the house.. like extra cookies for snacking on? never had a family this size for shabbos.. had plenty for one meal but thats it!

and yes, I feel the need to impress. I'm not usually like that, but this circumstance calls for it.

Don’t be a martyr. Supplement your cooking with some bought items to relieve the stress.

Kids love deli roll, kugels, challah and dips, fried chicken cutlets or nuggets, or general tso type chicken, usually cholent, cold cuts, and good desserts.

amother
Pistachio

Post Wed, Jan 11 2023, 3:34 pm
Just remembered: buy the extra large box of Spring Valley franks in blanks. Put them on a large baking tray. Brush with olive oil (caterer's trick I learned) and bake for about 15 minutes at 375. Watch to make sure they don't burn. Serve with mustard and toothpicks as a Friday night appetizer. Kids love these!!

For nosh, buy some different colored grapes and put out a colorful platter. You could also leave out bowls of mini pretzels and chips. You could get some gummy candies as a special Shabbos treat, but I'd check with the other Mom before putting them out.

4g01o

Post Wed, Jan 11 2023, 3:42 pm
Most kids love roast potatoes! Easy enough and you can't go wrong.

Potatoe kugel is a staple too.

Shnitzel, you can add a sauce in l'chaim cups on the side for the adults especially.

Good luck!

theoneandonly

Post Wed, Jan 11 2023, 3:57 pm
Make sure you have tissues in the house (you'd be surprised by how many ppl don't...), food for breakfast, mezonos and fruit to nosh on (and tell them they can take whenever they want!), Enough drinks (find out what they drink and make sure you have it)

imasinger

Post Wed, Jan 11 2023, 4:00 pm
Call her up and ask her what her kids usually eat on Shabbos.

There's nothing quite like slaving over a ton of food that kids or families don't touch.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 11 2023, 4:06 pm
You have no idea how much this information is calming me down. It’s like so obvious when you say it I just couldn’t think of it myself and it’s all making sense the way you write it.

Keep the tips and tricks coming
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen