Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
I hate this jackpot game!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 11 2023, 3:20 pm
My elementary girls do this jackpot game with stickers. To me the game is totally gambling and the girls are always upset with losing to the other person. I really think it’s awful chinuch. My girls know I don’t like it but they say that’s what everyone plays at recess. I can’t forbid them to play with their peers….anyone with me?

amother
Mulberry

Post Wed, Jan 11 2023, 4:04 pm
amother OP wrote:
My elementary girls do this jackpot game with stickers. To me the game is totally gambling and the girls are always upset with losing to the other person. I really think it’s awful chinuch. My girls know I don’t like it but they say that’s what everyone plays at recess. I can’t forbid them to play with their peers….anyone with me?

My school forbade this game.

amother
Tealblue

Post Wed, Jan 11 2023, 4:27 pm
Just say they can’t play for keeps

amother
Khaki

Post Wed, Jan 11 2023, 4:29 pm
I told my kids they can't play, and many other mothers did too. Do you have a class chat? Maybe you can all tell your kids not to play it and then they will all stop. I convinced them to trade instead and other kids joined.

seeker

Post Wed, Jan 11 2023, 5:47 pm
My kids assured me it was all in good fun. Sounded stupid to me and I was the kind of kid who would haaaaaate to lose my stickers randomly like that but 2/2 daughters were both fine so idk. They don't put in stickers they care too much about. They asked for rolls of stickers like the doctors' offices have for their chanukah/birthday/etc that year.

Unless it's causing a high level of friction in a specific group I don't know why it would warrant banning. Maybe my kids just lucked out with nice friends. If the problem is that some people can't afford to participate, stickers are cheap and plentiful enough that I'm reasonably sure my kids and their friends would give some of their surplus to a kid who doesn't have.

amother
Indigo

Post Wed, Jan 11 2023, 5:54 pm
I'm not familiar with this game but how is it different from playing dreidel, aside from the fact that dreidel is played for a very limited time during the year?

seeker

Post Wed, Jan 11 2023, 5:57 pm
I think most people don't play dreidel with real stakes. Here the winner gets all the stickers that everyone put in.

amother
Aqua

Post Wed, Jan 11 2023, 6:05 pm
My girls school outlawed that game years ago for the younger kids. They do allow it for 3rd grade and up. There is a cheaper brand of sticker called dr stickers so I bought rolls of those and that’s what they used if they wanted to play. I’m not a real fan but at least they aren’t losing stickers they care about.

amother
Rose

Post Wed, Jan 11 2023, 6:19 pm
My sons cheder said they allow trading but not jackpot. It’s not about banning stuff. The game doesn’t have Jewish values.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children