Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Anything instead of a microwave?

mom2mysouls

Post Wed, Jan 11 2023, 4:56 pm
I have no room for it on a shelf or counter. I need something that can warm small foods quickly. Any ideas?

lkwdlady

Post Wed, Jan 11 2023, 4:58 pm
Have it installed on the wall over your oven

mom2mysouls

Post Wed, Jan 11 2023, 5:15 pm
lkwdlady wrote:
Have it installed on the wall over your oven

I have a double electric oven and there's is no room there.

singleagain

Post Wed, Jan 11 2023, 5:36 pm
What about looking for a microwave specifically for like college dorms or single serve? There might even be some office desk warmers

singleagain

Post Wed, Jan 11 2023, 5:39 pm
I also this little mini toaster thing

https://www.target.com/p/dash-.....aw.ds

Amarante

Post Wed, Jan 11 2023, 5:55 pm
Is there absolutely no place you could put a small microwave? They make "kitchen carts" which are essentially storage on wheels. Some of them are essentially just two shelves on wheels and some are a bit more elaborate.

When I had very limited storage I had one and it was quite handy.

There are loads of ones ranging from amazon basics for $60 to more elaborate ones that are like cabinets with closed storage. Google kitchen trolley or kitchen appliance cart.

challahchallah

Post Wed, Jan 11 2023, 6:06 pm
mom2mysouls wrote:
I have a double electric oven and there's is no room there.

Can it go above your stovetop? They make ones that are combination vent hoods / microwaves.

Olive

Post Wed, Jan 11 2023, 6:09 pm
Why not use the oven or stove top to warm up food? I've never owned a microwave even though I have the space.

mom2mysouls

Post Wed, Jan 11 2023, 9:52 pm
Olive wrote:
Why not use the oven or stove top to warm up food? I've never owned a microwave even though I have the space.

When my older kids rush out in the morning, they like popping a bagel or something frozen to defrost. My younger kids like rice cake with melted cheese. It takes 10 seconds..

mom2mysouls

Post Wed, Jan 11 2023, 9:55 pm
singleagain wrote:
I also this little mini toaster thing

https://www.target.com/p/dash-.....aw.ds

So cute, I will look into it. Thanks!

lkwdlady

Post Thu, Jan 12 2023, 2:02 am
mom2mysouls wrote:
When my older kids rush out in the morning, they like popping a bagel or something frozen to defrost. My younger kids like rice cake with melted cheese. It takes 10 seconds..

So preheat your oven before they come to the kitchen. This way it will be ready to warm up something quick.
Btw- I’ve seen people keep their microwaves on top of the fridge.. I was once in someone’s house and the microwave was in the laundry room- on top of the dryer.
A microwave is not a must. An oven is a must when it’s a home with a family.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jan 12 2023, 4:31 am
How about the Ninja 2 in 1 flip toaster. Standing up, it stays near the back of the counter, but when you flip it down it unlocks the oven and bake feature.
https://m.kohls.com/product/pr.....n.jsp

doctorima

Post Thu, Jan 12 2023, 4:38 am
These take up almost no room, but they don't warm up food so quickly:
https://www.dansdeals.com/poin.....vens/

Have you considered a George Foreman? We often take one on trips to warm up suppers.

Marathon

Post Thu, Jan 12 2023, 6:29 am
What about a betty crocker?

ectomorph

Post Thu, Jan 12 2023, 6:44 am
We have never had a microwave. You don't need one.

Ima03

Post Thu, Jan 12 2023, 7:46 am
You can warm food in the oven or on the stove. Not as fast as a microwave--
In my tiny apartment we kept our microwave on top of the fridge. I had to stand on a step stool to put in and take out food. It was the only place to put it. We were in a tiny tiny kitchen.

mom2mysouls

Post Thu, Jan 12 2023, 3:31 pm
Ok. I'm obviously asking because turning on the oven will not work for me. I know I can live without a microwave, but we had one and my kids found it very convenient. I'm asking if anyone knows of a fast small appliance. I already have the Betty Crocker and toaster but I'm looking for something small, that I can keep on a shelf, not on the counter.

Maybe an air fryer? Anyone uses that?

Amarante

Post Thu, Jan 12 2023, 4:00 pm
mom2mysouls wrote:
Ok. I'm obviously asking because turning on the oven will not work for me. I know I can live without a microwave, but we had one and my kids found it very convenient. I'm asking if anyone knows of a fast small appliance. I already have the Betty Crocker and toaster but I'm looking for something small, that I can keep on a shelf, not on the counter.

An air fryer is essentially a convection oven and doesn’t replace what a microwave can do. It crisps food with less oil that frying.

I don’t think anything replaces a microwave oven. I personally find it indispensable as well as just convenient. I love heating food in the same container that I store and eat from. There is nothing better for steaming veggies or even fish. Reheating on a stove is much more difficult because the pots have to be watched and then cleaned. And so on.

Is there space close to the kitchen where you could put a microwave?

Last edited by Amarante on Thu, Jan 12 2023, 5:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

monkeymamma

Post Thu, Jan 12 2023, 5:13 pm
mom2mysouls wrote:

The air fryers that have a reheat function would work. Someone mentioned this one on another thread so it may work best for the limited space you have-- https://www.amazon.com/Ninja-S.....;th=1

Here is the thread about air fryers where I took the above link from, there are other air fryers listed there as well so you can look to see if anything else works for you-- https://www.imamother.com/foru.....92661
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics