Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Any Successful Anglo Communities in Israel?
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 12 2023, 10:17 pm
Several months back there was a thread about Afula that I was following. It was locked I believe because of some uncivil posts so I would love to keep this one open. I heard recently that the Anglo community in Afula that made aliya last summer has folded. I think it was the school that fell apart and families have to send their kids to other places but maybe the whole infrastructure fell apart. I am trying to reach someone who may be able to tell me more. I know we had some amothers who moved there who posted on the thread (and they may come and post that everything is completely fine and functional!).

This leads me to wonder if this Anglo thing (where a group of people with a shared interest make aliya together to a community) has been successful anywhere else. I think there was a Lakewood initiative - did anything happen with that?

amother
Gladiolus

Post Fri, Jan 13 2023, 12:00 am
It sounds like you mean Anglo yeshivish. For that, right now, Ramat Beit Shemesh is pretty much the only successful community.

There are Anglo yeshivish pockets in Jerusalem, Beitar, Rechovot and maybe Karmiel.

I was sorry to hear that the Afula project didn't succeed. I hope people will try again.

amother
White

Post Fri, Jan 13 2023, 1:30 am
Honestly I think that's why the housing market just keeps going up and up and up in Ramat Beit Shemesh. I think it's a lot harder to get started than people realize. And this area has been successful and continues to be so. Surprised

heidi

Post Fri, Jan 13 2023, 1:32 am
Givat Zev, Har Nof, Ramot

Iymnok

Post Fri, Jan 13 2023, 1:32 am
Why not look at an established community with the demographic you prefer?
There is no need to reinvent the wheel.

chanchy123

Post Fri, Jan 13 2023, 1:46 am
I grew up in a community like that. It was established by olim in Israel and future olim in the US and Canada, they came as a garin and built it up together.
The vast majority of the second generation are well adjusted frum and in Israel. We went to the local schools but because in each class there was a big group of Anglos we had group support and our parents had the support of friends who were like family.
In the early decades even shul announcements and newsletters were in English.
I think it provided a softy landing for my parents’ generation who almost exclusively had a successful Aliyah, and now have second, third, and fourth generation living nearby.
ETA this was almost four decades ago, but after the initial hardships of moving to a new yishuv on a barren hilltop, it was very successful and is thriving and accepting new olim till this day.

nicole81

Post Fri, Jan 13 2023, 1:51 am
What about mitzpeh yericho? I'm curious because I used to see the ads in mishpacha a few years ago and tell dh we should move there 😁 Does anyone know how that has turned out?

WitchKitty

Post Fri, Jan 13 2023, 1:59 am
I'm wondering if these things used to work better, or we just hear about the ones who don't work out, until they are old enough to consider established.
Mattasdorf was such a community. Har Nof, Ramat Shlomo..

amother
Slategray

Post Fri, Jan 13 2023, 2:03 am
chanchy123 wrote:
I grew up in a community like that. It was established by olim in Israel and future olim in the US and Canada, they came as a garin and built it up together.
The vast majority of the second generation are well adjusted frum and in Israel. We went to the local schools but because in each class there was a big group of Anglos we had group support and our parents had the support of friends who were like family.
In the early decades even shul announcements and newsletters were in English.
I think it provided a softy landing for my parents’ generation who almost exclusively had a successful Aliyah, and now have second, third, and fourth generation living nearby.
ETA this was almost four decades ago, but after the initial hardships of moving to a new yishuv on a barren hilltop, it was very successful and is thriving and accepting new olim till this day.

I was going to mention Moshav Matityahu, but I didn't know if that was too long ago- I don't know how the differences of the times would affect results, plus I imaginethe rav helped.... The people I know there did well. I also know a family who came with the original group, had their softer landing, and then moved elsewhere to a more Israeli neighborhood and did well there.

essie14

Post Fri, Jan 13 2023, 2:05 am
There are lots of successful Anglo communities in many cities.
Bet shemesh is the obvious one but there are definitely enough resources for a soft landing in
Rehovot
Karnei Shomron
Raanana
Netanya
Modiin
Efrat
Neve Daniel
Alon Shvut
Maale Adumim
Nof ayalon
Yad Binyamin

Many neighborhoods in Jerusalem
And many others.
NBN has contacts on their website where you can get more info

https://www.nbn.org.il/communi.....acts/

Elfrida

Post Fri, Jan 13 2023, 2:14 am
WitchKitty wrote:
I'm wondering if these things used to work better, or we just hear about the ones who don't work out, until they are old enough to consider established.
Mattasdorf was such a community. Har Nof, Ramat Shlomo..

Those were all heavily Anglo areas, but I don't think any of them were a group who made aliyah together aiming to form their own community. A big factor is that they all planned to integrate into Israeli society, and sent their children to local Israeli schools.

When a community hopes to transplant themselves to a new country while preserving intact their own community structure its a much more delicate operation, with bigger risks of failing.

WitchKitty

Post Fri, Jan 13 2023, 2:22 am
Wasn't Mattasdorf a group?

Elfrida

Post Fri, Jan 13 2023, 2:55 am
WitchKitty wrote:
Wasn't Mattasdorf a group?

Not that I know of, but I've never really looked into it's history.

I remember the story Ruchama Shain told in one of her books about how they bought an apartment there on paper. They were shown the plans and the construction site, and decided to buy, and the person (Rabbi?) who was showing them around said something like 'You are exactly the kind if people we are hoping to attract to this community.' So that sounds more like some kind of filtration for people who would help to build the community he envisaged, not an intact community trying to transplant itself.

It's a long time since I read it though, so I might have got the details mixed up.

amother
Denim

Post Fri, Jan 13 2023, 3:57 am
OP I am not trying to start up anything but my family has been in touch with a family from Afula within the last couple months and as far as I understood, they are trying to build a Kehilla in Afula. Where did anyone say that it closed up? I think there are families there with the Rabbi.

Kiwi13

Post Fri, Jan 13 2023, 4:04 am
Afula community was built on lies. I’m not getting involved another conversation, but the truth is already out and easy to find. Go ask their “Rosh Yeshiva” who lives in NY and was used as bait to lure vulnerable families.

I don’t think it’s impossible for such a community to happen, but it must be founded with utmost honesty and integrity. Sadly that was not the case with this one.

To be clear, I am not referring to the families who got roped in and the few who may even have decided they like it there. This is about leadership lies only.

There are many ways to make Aliyah. Just be careful and know who you’re dealing with when it comes to stuff like this.

DrMom

Post Fri, Jan 13 2023, 4:30 am
It may be easier to make aliyah to some place where you already know one or two other families.

I think the idea of making aliyah as a community is great, but you must realize that you will still have to make allowances for differences in culture.

Unless you plan on living like ex-pats live on those compounds in Riyadh when they come over as contractors to work in Saudi Arabia.

chanchy123

Post Fri, Jan 13 2023, 4:45 am
The community I grew up in was a group of olim who didn’t necessarily come s as one community that just transported, but a group of like-minded people from throughout the US and Canada, some of whom were already in Israel, who got together to move to a new yishuv that was going up.

amother
Daisy

Post Fri, Jan 13 2023, 6:15 am
The problem with making aliyah as a group is schools. The first group of people mahjong aliyah need to be willing to send their kids to the local Israeli schools. Trying to set up schools from the outset won't work bc they'll never be enough kids to make the school viable. Real American yeshivish schools have only been successful in RBS and they only happened when the community was really large.

DVOM

Post Fri, Jan 13 2023, 6:17 am
I'm following this thread with fascination.

I know Aliya isn't practical for my family, but a girl can dream!

DVOM

Post Fri, Jan 13 2023, 6:21 am
amother Daisy wrote:
The problem with making aliyah as a group is schools. The first group of people mahjong aliyah need to be willing to send their kids to the local Israeli schools. Trying to set up schools from the outset won't work bc they'll never be enough kids to make the school viable. Real American yeshivish schools have only been successful in RBS and they only happened when the community was really large.

A slightly unconventional school set up could work though, no? Sort of like a homeschool co-op. If different ages (and genders in younger grades) could be in the same small classes until the community got large enough? Of course, the new olim would have to be on board with it.

COVID made me very curious about homeschooling, about unconventional school set ups in general. My kids (and I) learned and gained so much.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions